Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

North 2016 red safety/flag line

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
McKenzie347

Since 23 Jan 2017
4 Posts

Kook

PostSun Aug 18, 19 9:48 pm    North 2016 red safety/flag line Reply with quote

I’ve been buying the red safety/flag line for North bars for quite a while now. The bar insert, safety line, and depower rope wear relatively quickly especially with ocean sand getting everywhere. I would prefer to change these items before they get too worn. I’m going to learn to make depower lines from a few posts on this site out of Amsteel Blue rope. I’d like to purchase the red safety line also. Does anyone know what material North uses for the red safety/flag line or a suitable replacement. The line isn’t under tension unless the chicken loop is released, and I believe it would be quite easy to make a similar product which would make me feel better about replacing it more frequently at lower cost over time. Thoughts? Thanks in advance, Mark

TheMorgan

Since 19 Aug 2019
1 Posts

PostMon Aug 19, 19 10:05 am     Reply with quote

They make Amsteel Blue in different colors, most notably Red.

North

Since 01 Feb 2016
30 Posts

PostMon Aug 19, 19 11:38 am     Reply with quote

Mark (or anyone),

Can you please let me know what diameter Amsteel you are using for both the depower line as well as the safety line?

Thx

McKenzie347

Since 23 Jan 2017
4 Posts

Kook

PostMon Aug 19, 19 12:42 pm    Flag line Reply with quote

My current plan is to use a new depower line and copy the length with 3/16” Amsteel Blue or ⅛” with another ⅛” line spliced through the center. Supposedly the doubled ⅛” is strong and more durable than the 3/16”. Please note, I haven’t tried this yet so I am shooting from the hip.

Thank you for the recommendation on using the red Amsteel Blue for the flag line. I’ll try to get the correct diameter. The factory line seems a bit “waxy”. I’ll see what diameters I can get from West Marine.

Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostTue Aug 20, 19 5:49 am     Reply with quote

I made a wad of depower lines out of the Amsteel blue a while back. Strong as all get out but found that it would wear smooth and not engage the cleat after a good amount of sessions (slingshot bars) Definitely not trying to discourage your fiddling (excuse the pun) Laughing but proof your concept before making a shit ton. Cleats are very particular so make some exact measurements on the line after assembly and try to find the spec of your particular cleat. Experiment.
The loose weave of stock depower lines hold a lot of sand but tend to hold better in the cleat over time.
I’m in the ocean 100% of the time. Salt and sand and high wind are rough on kite gear.

McKenzie347

Since 23 Jan 2017
4 Posts

Kook

PostTue Aug 20, 19 7:03 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I bought two sizes of Amsteel Blue just to make sure I could fiddle with them to get the right end product. I think I’m most concerned about the depower line. The winter winds on the coast can be very strong and a properly working depower line is a must.

Any advice on what fid to buy? Nak suggested 0.015” music wire. A person from Green Hat KB suggested a “DaHo”, and I was looking on Amazon and found a D-Splicer. Probably most relevant for small line and used with the small diameter flag line. I used a caliper last night on the flag line, it looks to be 0.085”. This is very close to 2mm or 5/64”. I found some Dyneema lone in that diameter that’s single braid but no Amsteel Blue.

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostTue Aug 20, 19 7:35 am    West marine Reply with quote

Just bring the old line into West Marine, and find some Amsteel that is the same diameter. That's what I did, and they have it in red. Been making my own North depower lines for years. Easy to do.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: