Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Any Reverse Half Strap Experience?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostMon Aug 05, 19 6:36 pm    Any Reverse Half Strap Experience? Reply with quote

Hello All,

Anyone have experience with installing a half strap (hook) backwards on the front foot position? I've stripped out the front holes several times now and I'm not sure how effective epoxy and going up to a size 14 1-1/2 screw will work.

I have re-installed reverse as you can see. I've stayed with a size 12 screw but went with a 1-1/2 in length. Pretty solid right now. If it all fails then I've the 14s and I can put it back the way I'm used to.

Slingshot now includes longer screws.

yeah, yeah I know --- strapless. It's a bit more difficult with no sensation in one leg, but I'm working on it.

TIA for your thoughts.

Dan

Reverse Half Hook Setup
 Reverse Half Hook Setup  reverse half hooksm.jpg 

www.freeridekiting.com

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 05, 19 9:04 pm     Reply with quote

I had a similar problem using these on an older North surfboard. The new Ride Engine hoof hooks seem to have solved the problem though. They come with longer screws and a metal plate to reinforce the plastic (mine shattered). They are also a little wider and longer.

Funny, I might have seen you today; happened to notice someone carrying a board with the hook facing forward on the front and thought, "huh, I must be using mine backwards"... Smile

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Aug 05, 19 10:08 pm    Screw that water log... Reply with quote

Better to over size in diameter than length. There will be a "point" where the longer oversized screw is LONGER than the co-molded strap-screw bore hole in of the insert in the board. The screw (that is too long) pierces the bottom of the screw inserts and opens a connection between the water and the water loving porous foam of the board.

Every time you set a board (that is warmer than the water temp) the air trapped in the open cell foam contracts and water is vacuumed into the foam via the broken/cracked/breached screw insert. That's when things get water logged.

Test for a broken screw hole: Take a cool board (straight from the water or the shade) place it under the hot sun (heats air inside the board) place a puddle of water over the suspect empty screw hole. If air bubbles percolate from the hole; there is a failed insert around that screw hole.

Repair: Well I would stuff it full of silicone then drive a screw into it pressuring silicone into the suspected crack. pull the screw and fill the hole with more silicone then optional screw (load bearing or "plug).

Last edited by Kmun on Tue Aug 06, 19 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Aug 06, 19 6:12 am     Reply with quote

I did this with the exact same hook and it snapped in half about 30 minutes into using it. I was very much a beginner at the time and was likely putting more force on it that someone with some skills would.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostTue Aug 06, 19 6:44 am     Reply with quote

I'm going to fill in the original holes again. Use a 12 or 14 screw at 1-1/4 length. This should stay within the original socket and be solid enough to continue.

Thanks all

Dan

www.freeridekiting.com

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 06, 19 11:13 am     Reply with quote

A friend has his front hook facing forward with the reasoning that once water started he can slide his foot forward to ride "strapless" and maintain adequate front foot pressure.

Down side is greater likelihood to catch your lines Rolling Eyes

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 07, 19 11:57 am     Reply with quote

A better solution is the T90 strap from NSI in Hood River.
They have an outlet store next to NYC Sub shop.
I have them on all my boards - surf and foil.
I adjust them to be very loose and in the event of a crash my foot comes right out - every time.
https://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=279

IMG_2926.JPG 

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 07, 19 4:47 pm     Reply with quote

^^^

I'd do that

navi

Since 23 Aug 2014
71 Posts

PostSat Aug 10, 19 6:38 pm     Reply with quote

Nice board,LD!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: