Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Parking Meters
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
dirtybackside

Since 02 Aug 2011
72 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Feb 13, 19 2:50 pm    Parking Meters Reply with quote

I noticed some parking meters were installed INSIDE the event site parking lot - any idea on what the plan is for parking lot passes this summer?

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Feb 13, 19 7:57 pm     Reply with quote

Deleted comment, I should avoid leaving sarcastic comments
Last edited by WindSki on Wed Feb 13, 19 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Feb 13, 19 9:22 pm     Reply with quote

Feemageddon!

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed Feb 13, 19 10:50 pm     Reply with quote

Where is Cool Hand Luke when you need him??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bneviIHiIKs

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Feb 14, 19 9:28 am     Reply with quote

They are for winter users who take the shuttle to Meadows.
Also - looks like they will charge more for a season pass - but winter parking would be included.

Charging people to park for a shuttle in a lot that would not be used in winter?
IMO - a f%@ing money grab by the Port. I'm really disappointed in my town.

From the Port of Hood River website:
The parking plan was primarily targeted towards tourists and water sports enthusiasts who heavily use the area in the summer, but McElwee proposed implementing winter paid parking in the Event Site, to include skiers who park at the Event Site to take the Mt. Hood Meadows free shuttle. He proposed charging $5/day to park in the Event Site lot and raising the price of parking passes, but extending their use so that they cover the whole year.

To accommodate this extension, he recommended adding two kiosks at the Event Site. A kiosk will also be installed in Nichols Basin.

These proposed changes will take place before April 2019.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostThu Feb 14, 19 1:43 pm    Fees Reply with quote

Got to pay for the new bridge..

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostThu Feb 14, 19 3:29 pm    Parking Meters Reply with quote

My thoughts . Port will charge $200 for a season pass . Event Site ticket booth will not be staffed by High School students and visitors will pay $3.00 per hour to park . Money Grab ! Crying or Very sad

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Feb 14, 19 6:52 pm     Reply with quote

They need to make these facilities pay for themselves, so maybe charging the people that actually use the parking lot is the way to go. Doesn't Stevenson give locals a discount on crossing the BOTGs? Why not give HR residents a similar discount.

Of course nothing will be factored in for loss of tourism due to raised fees. Govt types tend to make decisions as if it were a static environment. Just like when they limited VRBOs in residential zones. they did not factor in the loss of tourism. I spend about 2K less in HR annually since that decision was made. If parking fees are raised then I will probably spend even less.

Local folks that suffer from localism should be ecstatic that the port is pushing away tourism.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Feb 14, 19 7:37 pm     Reply with quote

SalmonSlayer wrote:
I spend about 2K less in HR annually since that decision was made. If parking fees are raised then I will probably spend even less.

Local folks that suffer from localism should be ecstatic that the port is pushing away tourism.

Could not have said it better. HR is pushing my money elsewhere. Sucks.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Feb 15, 19 8:54 am     Reply with quote

I encourage everyone that the communities around Hood River need your support more than Hood River !!! I'm spending less and less every year in HR

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostFri Feb 15, 19 9:26 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:

Charging people to park for a shuttle in a lot that would not be used in winter?
IMO - a f%@ing money grab by the Port. I'm really disappointed in my town.

I'm up for naming it "Matteo's" law. Ya know..... When a governmental organization gets a little bit of a revenue stream, then they get addicted to ever increasing amounts coming in. And even when good management could lower fees, those Gov't organizations still decide to increase that revenue stream with increased fees or completely new revenue streams.

I would suggest you don't complain about this. Your only chance to stop government bureaucracy is at the beginning. Once the foot is in the door, you just can't fight them anymore. Your only hope is that said governmental agency messes up so bad that it creates a scandal big enough for even fellow politicians to question that agencies existence.

SalmonSlayer wrote:
They need to make these facilities pay for themselves, so maybe charging the people that actually use the parking lot is the way to go....

.......Of course nothing will be factored in for loss of tourism due to raised fees.....

The problem here is that when a governmental agency determines the "finances" and "needs" of itself........well, that is how those agencies become "bloated". No bid contracts for resurfacing, landscaping, consulting, studies, and kickbacks from those contractors, provide something to make up for being a lowly public servant. But it is the job of the tourism dependent businesses to communicate to the government officials the impacts of their decisions.

SalmonSlayer wrote:

I still occasionally stop by in HR at the kite shops where there is free parking. But since I no longer use the event site, I really do not feel obligated to buy anything to support the local community. It still is nice to see all the gear in HR that I can only see in pictures and video online, or when someone shows up where I kite with that new gear. So again, I would think that the shop owners would be on the front line on these issues standing with the average user and tourists.

SalmonSlayer wrote:
Govt types tend to make decisions as if it were a static environment. Just like when they limited VRBOs in residential zones. they did not factor in the loss of tourism.

While there was a large amount of outcry from year round local homeowners about having someone new every week in the house next door, the large corporate hotel owners were also very much in favor of this restriction. Not all tourist dependent businesses care about tourism as a whole. And most consider a loss to one business, a gain in market share for theirs.

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri Feb 15, 19 9:27 am     Reply with quote

WindSki wrote:
I encourage everyone that the communities around Hood River need your support more than Hood River !!! I'm spending less and less every year in HR

The first sign that White Salmon has reached the critical mass to keep businesses that can stay and grow is the success of Everybody's. Increasing costs in HR will only give WS more momentum. Parking is free in WS

IMHO Lyle is still a hidden jewel. I find myself spending more time there too. Parking is still free there.

Watch the marina parking lot get fees or meters next as more people migrate away from the event site and spit.

Last edited by SalmonSlayer on Fri Feb 15, 19 9:29 am; edited 3 times in total

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Feb 15, 19 9:27 am     Reply with quote

Hood River seems to want to fee and tax every which way. We now pay for the privilege of shopping in hood river. I go were I get fee and taxed, less and less each year.

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri Feb 15, 19 9:43 am     Reply with quote

Matt V wrote:

SalmonSlayer wrote:
Govt types tend to make decisions as if it were a static environment. Just like when they limited VRBOs in residential zones. they did not factor in the loss of tourism.

While there was a large amount of outcry from year round local homeowners about having someone new every week in the house next door, the large corporate hotel owners were also very much in favor of this restriction. Not all tourist dependent businesses care about tourism as a whole. And most consider a loss to one business, a gain in market share for theirs.

Certainly there are some winners and some losers, however my guess is that it will result in less income for local stores and reduce tax revenue. When taxes and fees increase to cover this shortfall it will just make the problem worse. It is slow and unnoticeable to the casual observer, but a very real consequence.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Feb 15, 19 10:35 am     Reply with quote

I should know better than to light fire underneath all you internet trolls! Wink

For the record - I have no problem buying a season pass to park at the Event Site.
I use it over 100 days a year to kite and I'm grateful for the services provided (parking, bathroom, hose and shower, garbage pickup, tables, green grass, etc. etc).

Live music, food concessions - it's a wonderful facility.

I do have a problem with the Port charging to park in the winter.

Regarding the downtown parking meters - if they weren't there, shop employees would take up all the spaces and leave their cars parked all day. Without meters - there would be no turnover and thus no parking available on most days.
But really - people complain about paying .50 cents to park while they quaff a $6 beer or $5 latte? Please.....

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Feb 15, 19 10:37 am     Reply with quote

Here's an interesting comparison between two ports: Camas/Washougal and Hood River. Both are very busy ports. (Boating at the former, wind sports at the latter.) If anything, the port of Camas is busier of the two. Camas has the larger parking lot. Camas has the lower tax structure. Camas has free parking. Camas has more reasonable fees. (A boat slip is actually cheaper than boat storage elsewhere.) Camas has many free events including free concerts. Hood River, well we all know about Hood River. Mind you, I'm comparing the Event Site to the Camas Marina, because usage patterns are pretty similar between the two. (The Camas Marina is busier though...) So, in summary, you get more for free with lower taxes in Camas than what you have to pay for in Hood River.

Maybe Hood River residents might want to re-think their voting habits? Just a thought.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Feb 15, 19 10:46 am     Reply with quote

F, no they should not, they are like NY who just lost 25,000 jobs!!!
In fact the more time I spend outside HR at other kite locations the more I avoide HR like the plague !!! Keep up the good work HR, your a great insperation for other towns and cities. Like what you have there instead of the cable water park is so, so much better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: