Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Fix for Slingshot GW-91/Moses 633 floating on side?
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jan 22, 19 8:49 am    Fix for Slingshot GW-91/Moses 633 floating on side? Reply with quote

My wife is getting into foiling and recently used my gear (Slingshot converter with GW-91 foil). She loved the foil but hates that the board/foil combo will sometimes float on its side after crashes (and stay that way) rather than foil submerged and heading downwind.

Does anyone know if the floating on the side thing occurs with the GW-91 with other boards (Alien Air, Galaxy, etc.) or is it just a problem when used with the converter.?

Anyone figure out a simple fix (other than drilling holes in the 633 wing and filling it with lead shot..)

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jan 22, 19 8:58 am     Reply with quote

I have no real solution, just perspective. I started with the SS Hoverglide- great foil but sinks like a rock. The SS HG can be a real challenge to keep on its side with such a heavy ballast. Now that I’m riding the SS GW 633, it’s such a pleasure to waterstart with no real effort needed to get the foil in a ready position. And I think it’s awesome that you have her foiling. Way to go!

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jan 22, 19 9:14 am     Reply with quote

The GW 633 will float with any board.
I've tried it with all of the SS boards (Alien, 52" DC, 42" DC).
Most foils sink and the board will get blown downwind even in the Columbia current.
However - with the 633 - it stays on it's side and in the Columbia will sometimes get swept upwind with the current.

Last edited by ldhr on Tue Jan 22, 19 9:26 am; edited 2 times in total

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jan 22, 19 9:15 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
I have no real solution, just perspective. I started with the SS Hoverglide- great foil but sinks like a rock. The SS HG can be a real challenge to keep on its side with such a heavy ballast. Now that I’m riding the SS GW 633, it’s such a pleasure to waterstart with no real effort needed to get the foil in a ready position. And I think it’s awesome that you have her foiling. Way to go!

Yes, she took to it like a fish to water. What took me months took her weeks...

But she has always has had a problem body dragging up wind to retrieve her board. She loved that the foil she learned on (Alien Air with Hoverglide) came down wind to her! But now she has the taste of the GW-91 and hoping there is a simple fix.

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jan 22, 19 9:18 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
The GW 633 will float with any board.
The board is irrelevant and has no effect.
I'm not aware of a "fix".

Bummer;

Any idea why the GW633 floats and a similar carbon foil like the Lift 170 does not?

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jan 22, 19 9:47 am     Reply with quote

Is this driving the board away more than would a normal twintip? I realize I've gotten lazy over the past 2 years with the built-in go-joe that the foil provides, but I too like how the Onda/633 lays on its side while I'm trying to position it for waterstarts. The older LF were bricks.
I need more TOW

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jan 22, 19 9:55 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Is this driving the board away more than would a normal twintip?

In my experience yes.

The board will position itself perpendicular to the wind with foil floating downwind. The combination of wind and waves seems to move the board forward across the wind direction. So its not moving and further upwind than a TT but further away.

Agree that the laying on the side thing has its benefits as well.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jan 22, 19 11:07 am     Reply with quote

I have no experience with that specific wing but I did just get a new setup with a monster wing and it usually floats on it's side. I was worried about the same issue as your wife but for whatever reason my setup still goes downwave at a decent clip even when on it's side.

Maybe it's because more of the foil is in the water for my setup (NP Glide L + DC54) I'm not sure how out of the water your wing is.

The times that the foil was fully submerged the foil was motoring downwave super fast, I actually had to work to catch up to it.

Only logged a bit over an hour so far on it though, and a big chunk of that was spent figuring out that foot hooks weren't going to work out with this size of wing:

Link

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Jan 22, 19 11:19 am     Reply with quote

You could get a Slingshot mast to Moses fuselage adapter from Stringy and use a Slingshot hoverglide mast. The extra weight of the mast should make the foil more likely to sink. That said, it makes it so much easier to waterstart when the foil stays sideways, and it makes it easier to see the board when you get separated in bigger water. When the foil sinks in big water, rides flat and shoots downwind, it's a lot harder to find. I was amazed in Baja how fast the board could disappear. This was with a 633. (A big wave knocked it flat.)

I find it a lot easier to drag to my sideways foil than I do with a twin tip. Given the big advantages to the board laying sideways--the main reason I went to a carbon foil--I think she'd be better off learning to get better at body dragging.

Last edited by Nak on Wed Jan 23, 19 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jan 22, 19 12:02 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
I think she'd be better off learning to get better at body dragging.

For Sure; perhaps she would be willing to listen to you, my attempts to point that out tend not to end well.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Jan 22, 19 1:12 pm     Reply with quote

apctjb wrote:
Quote:
I think she'd be better off learning to get better at body dragging.

For Sure; perhaps she would be willing to listen to you, my attempts to point that out tend not to end well.

Very Happy Been there, done that! LOL

Well, if nothing else the hoverglide mast with your 633 wings & fuselage option should fix the foil sitting on it's side.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Jan 22, 19 4:44 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah, that puppy floats. During spring/Rufus FAST water I wish it did not. Every other time, it's fine.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed Jan 23, 19 7:05 am     Reply with quote

That float issue was the first thing I noticed when I went from the Lift 110 to my 633 and GW91. I have no solution except patience. It will sometimes take 2 minutes for the wing to finally sink. Initially I thought it was the combination of my alien air and the 633, but it is on a new lighter board down in LV and I have the same problem. It still comes to you when it is sitting on it's side, just at a much slower rate. When I crash and burn and see it floating on it's side I go into immediate body drag for retrieval, just like in the good old days.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostThu Jan 24, 19 6:38 am     Reply with quote

The Hoverglide mast with adaptor should work to drop it. My LF Impulse is similar to that and sinks, but not as quick as the Hoverglide I started on! I see a lot of people body dragging with their kite too high (should be almost touching the water).

Brian H

Since 08 Aug 2015
54 Posts

PostThu Jan 24, 19 5:51 pm     Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the Mhl lift 170 floats on it side for long periods of time like the 633 on the same given board ?

Brian H

Since 08 Aug 2015
54 Posts

PostThu Jan 24, 19 5:52 pm     Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the Mhl lift 170 floats on it side for long periods of time like the 633 on the same given board ?

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jan 25, 19 2:47 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:

Second hand knowledge, but I have heard it does not.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: