Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Wax for center line

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostSun Jan 13, 19 7:24 pm    Wax for center line Reply with quote

Hi Forum,

I have a problem with some new Amsteel line I installed on my center line. It seams to get caught in the cleat and is difficult to pull the line in for trimming. I go to grab it and the entire cleat pulls down towards me, the line is stuck and doesn't come out easily. Is there a wax I can use to make the line easier to come out of the cleat and actually give me some depower?

kt

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jan 14, 19 8:44 am     Reply with quote

I once used Bow Wax purchased on Amazon. It was recommended by some Cloud kiters. It worked perfectly for this problem when I was anywhere north of the tropics. My only deal-breaking issue was that if you ever laid your bar & lines down on a tropical beach with super hot sand, this wax would turn all sticky and attracted sand. I didn't pay attention and within about 3 sessions my center line Amsteel was beyond savings as the sharp sand had cut into the strands.
Hard as nails in The Gorge, Crissy, Puget Sound, La Ventana. Get above 87 degrees air temp and there's trouble.
Bow Wax:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00066U2YM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by wylieflyote on Mon Jan 14, 19 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Jan 14, 19 10:40 am     Reply with quote

The quickest and easiest fix is to cut a piece of 1/8" amsteel the length of your cleat. lay that into the cleat and tap it in tight with something. The insert will prevent your depower line from digging so deep into the cleat. If you still have issues, use the next size up amsteel, or any synthetic line.

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jan 14, 19 11:49 am    Do NOT Wax on your lines Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
The quickest and easiest fix is to cut a piece of 1/8" amsteel the length of your cleat. lay that into the cleat and tap it in tight with something. The insert will prevent your de-power line from digging so deep into the cleat. If you still have issues, use the next size up Amsteel, or any synthetic line.

Wax-NOT:
I've tested several different industrial high temperature waxes in the Northwest Coast & Gorge conditions. Results: A comic FAIL!. Like promoting a deep tissue infection, sand & dust will cling, then permeate the fiber bundle abrading your line from both inside and out.

More fun FAILS:
I've also tried "stiffening the line" from collapsing deep into the jam cleat with a range of industrial adhesives massaged deep through the braids. I should have known that this family of Spectra's chemical properties along with physical forces makes this idea more than a gnarly fail in preventing bundle diameter collapse. Worse yet, the failed, cured mess then captured sand within to do it's third party wear & tear thing.

If your braid is plenty small one could employ the Naish solution by inserting a mono filament core or dense rope core to the center of the braid. This however has it's own potential migration fail issues.

Nak's suggestion of pre-filling the deep & narrow cleat area is the solution I wish I would have tried before my failed studies.

I believe one could also do this pre-filling with cements, hot glue, dense rope...

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostTue Jan 15, 19 9:15 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the pre-filling the cleat with smaller rope. I frequently ride at the coast and my bar is constantly in the sand.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: