Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Oahu next week.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
undertow

Since 15 Feb 2008
371 Posts
BeaversBurg
Obsessed

PostThu Dec 13, 18 1:37 pm    Oahu next week. Reply with quote

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any info or recommendations, we will be staying in Kailua, but have rented a car so can travel. Looking for cool kite beaches, and places to rent a board, I will be bringing my kites. Maybe other cool activities. too.

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostThu Dec 13, 18 2:20 pm     Reply with quote

Kailua beach park is kite central on Oahu. Check out Hawaiian Watersports for board rentals. Mokuleia on the north shore is an option but shallow reef and heavy surf this time of year. Wind has finally come back but bring your big kites as highly unlikely you will fly anything smaller than a 9. Aloha

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostThu Dec 13, 18 4:38 pm     Reply with quote

ay wrote:
Kailua beach park is kite central on Oahu. Check out Hawaiian Watersports for board rentals. Mokuleia on the north shore is an option but shallow reef and heavy surf this time of year. Wind has finally come back but bring your big kites as highly unlikely you will fly anything smaller than a 9. Aloha

Agreed. But could get into small kites mokuleia on a sunny north wind day. More than once I've left kailuha when everyone is sitting on the beach waiting for wind and had a lit 9m sesh in mokuleia and come back to everyone still sitting on the beach waiting for wind. Great chill crew at kailua.

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostThu Dec 13, 18 9:00 pm     Reply with quote

Totally agree. Was out in Kailua last Thursday and again Tuesday and flew a 9 underpowered. Wind has been in for the last 10 days after being doldrums for the past two months. A couple foilers were out on 8s. Moks was high surf warning last Thursday 30'+ and rainy on Tuesday but north shore is worth the trip. Next week is looking good as high pressure is riding north of the islands. Have fun.

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/graphics/npacloop.gif

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Dec 14, 18 9:10 am     Reply with quote

Kailua is a great place to foil, but there are rocks/reefs to be aware of. Talk to a local before foiling there. Hawaii Kai is great on Kona winds (winds with a southern component.) Hawaii Kai is NOT foil friendly though. The Ikite sensor at Kailua is not great. It can show the winds as much worse than they really are. Be aware that downwind of the launch at Kailua is a "Black hole". Wind there is lighter by at least one kite size. Mokes on the North shore will be stronger than Kailua if it's sunny due to thermals. It's another spot to get local knowledge before riding though. Bellows beach is great, but is only open weekends. It's fun to do a downwinder from Bellows to Kailua. Avoid Diamond Head for kiting. Avoid the leeward side for kiting. Not good anyways... On calm days SUPing or Kayaking to China Man's Hat is fun. When the giant waves come in on the North Shore it's fun to watch the big wave surfers, but traffic can be REALLY bad getting there.

The launch for Hawaii Kai is a little beach park just west of the boat ramp. It's accessed through a residential neighborhood.

Previous comments about Kailua being light are spot on. My 17m is my most used kite there, and a 17m--or a ram air-- and a foil is regularly required. My 8m get's used too, just not very often.

undertow

Since 15 Feb 2008
371 Posts
BeaversBurg
Obsessed

PostFri Dec 14, 18 9:39 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the DL, I will be bringing my 17m and 12, and renting boards.
Looks like some wind for Wed. Very Happy

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostSun Dec 23, 18 8:06 am    Ewa Reply with quote

Ewa Beach and barbers point are the secret go to spots. More wind. Side off but great. Laie can be great also.

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostTue Dec 25, 18 7:01 pm     Reply with quote

Ewa & Barber's good in kona S winds. Diamond Head an option when strong. Laie/Hukilau is a good but heavy localism and fisherman are not friendly to kiters.

How is the trip? Wind has backed off but hopefully you got some days in.. 🎄

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Dec 25, 18 7:38 pm     Reply with quote

ay wrote:
Diamond Head an option when strong.

Interesting. it's been years since I thought of Diamond Head for kiting. I knew some guys that got warned off pretty strongly by the local surfers, but that was probably a decade ago...

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostWed Dec 26, 18 11:24 am     Reply with quote

Yeah definitely need to evaluate condition dependent but historically a big windsurfing spot. A number of hazards and would only jump on it if you saw other kiters out.

undertow

Since 15 Feb 2008
371 Posts
BeaversBurg
Obsessed

PostFri Dec 28, 18 5:59 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys. My family and I had a great time on Oahu. Had great 12m sessions Sunday and Monday at Kailua.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Dec 28, 18 6:12 pm     Reply with quote

undertow wrote:
Thanks for the info guys. My family and I had a great time on Oahu. Had great 12m sessions Sunday and Monday at Kailua.

Sunday was GREAT at Kailua!!! I wish I would have checked when you were going to be there; would have been fun to connect. I got the dawn patrol and a later morning session in with an 8m and a foil. If Monday was half as good you got two outstanding days in! Very Happy Thumb's Up

agk17

Since 12 Aug 2020
14 Posts
TD

PostSun Mar 03, 24 1:17 pm    Oahu Reply with quote

Does anyone know about kiting around Malaekahana on the Northeast coast of Oahu near Laie? Will be there at the end of October. Have heard there is some kiting in the area, but haven't been able to find any info online. Worth bringing kiting gear or just stick with surfing? Won't have access to a car, so Kailua and other established spots probably not doable. Thanks for any beta. Cheers, Andrew

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostMon Mar 11, 24 5:28 pm     Reply with quote

You used to be able to kite out of Hukilau beach park but is a heavy local scene, plus the currents at Melekahana are weird. Sharky too. Recommend Kailua or Mokuleia.

agk17

Since 12 Aug 2020
14 Posts
TD

PostFri Mar 15, 24 8:45 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Ay, appreciate the info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: