Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Stevenson launch on east wind

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
honda1

Since 11 Sep 2013
183 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Nov 28, 18 7:19 pm    Stevenson launch on east wind Reply with quote

Went to Stevenson a couple days ago. Wind was east and blowing around 30 I’d guess. The way the wind was blowing at least right near the shore made it impossible for any tethered launch or drift launch as the wind was nearly onshore. Combine that with some debris, a tree, and some bushes made it a little more difficult. Difficult enough that I wasn’t willing to go for it and risk a torn kite or possibly something worse. Anyone have any good suggestions for how they launch in such conditions?

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostThu Nov 29, 18 8:21 am     Reply with quote

I'm not a frequent user of Stevenson launch, but on some of the east days this year it seemed like the wind shadow downwind of the rock could work for a drift launch. Don't know if it was ever tried though - just an idea i had when looking at the situation last time.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Nov 29, 18 11:05 am    Re: Stevenson launch on east wind Reply with quote

honda1 wrote:
Went to Stevenson a couple days ago. Wind was east and blowing around 30 I’d guess. The way the wind was blowing at least right near the shore made it impossible for any tethered launch or drift launch as the wind was nearly onshore. Combine that with some debris, a tree, and some bushes made it a little more difficult. Difficult enough that I wasn’t willing to go for it and risk a torn kite or possibly something worse. Anyone have any good suggestions for how they launch in such conditions?

At least at Rooster there can be SE, NE, or E wind. I much prefer east or NE wind as it fills in the Oregon side of the river and makes launching at Dalton much easier and riding in the shallow flats on the Oregon side doable.

I never ride Stevenson, but maybe you hit it on a SE day? I know folks often do Home Valley to Stevenson downwinders.

Kite caddies are always nice to have for launching, landing, and getting one a beer!

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostThu Nov 29, 18 11:55 am    stevie launch Reply with quote

The drift launch from the beach west side of rock is very doable. I was probably 70-80 % successful the twenty or so times I did it. The times it failed usually involved the kite jumping around and flipping before getting set.

One amusing fail was leaving the board on the beach while launching, and being overkited and overpowered to the point I couldn't bodydrag back to the beach.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Dec 03, 18 11:13 pm     Reply with quote

I had similar questions about stevenson.

I popped by there a couple of months ago during a 40 mph day. I was thinking about attempting a beach or tethered launch in the newly cleared area perhaps 500-600 feet west of the normal launch.

I wasn't sure if this area is allowed for kitesurfer's access.

I ended up heading out and going to Rooster instead.

I'm not a real fan of drift launching... Especially in higher wind.

It would be nice if Stevenson could develop a better solution for self launch/landing.

Nevo

PostTue Dec 04, 18 5:55 am    Re: Stevenson launch on east wind Reply with quote

I wasn't there so I think it would be a little irresponsible to tell you "how it should have been done." I will say that I think you made the right call. I kite Stevenson a lot and the reality is that place will always have an element of sketch to it. Even on days with other people launching you, things will sometimes not work out as we'd like.

If you're there in 30 knots and it looks too sketchy to launch alone then it's okay to walk away. No need to come up with tricks to force a solo session in heavy winds at a tough launch in cold wind/water.

honda1 wrote:

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostTue Dec 04, 18 8:31 am     Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:

It would be nice if Stevenson could develop a better solution for self launch/landing.

it's a "zero sum" game.

stevenson don't need none changin

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Dec 04, 18 10:17 am     Reply with quote

chrissmack wrote:

stevenson don't need none changing

You're a shoe-in for the casting for a hillbilly in sequel movie, Deliverance II. Razz Laughing

Stevenson is a gem with a few imperfections. The imperfections add to its allure and charm--it weeds out the intimidated , less skilled, and is an advanced launch and land spot.

Leave the imperfections alone . . . "if it aint' broke, don't fix it".

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue Dec 04, 18 5:42 pm     Reply with quote

I've seen self launches there but it can be risky. last man out usually gets the honors of a self launch. best to kite with others as this sport good in numbers. if there's no one at stevenson (or even rooster) check at viento. it's usually a mellower spot. I've seen my share of winter mishaps at stevenson. you really don't want to float down to the dam. that is really scary. I've drift launched, tethered, and reverse launch but it's based on how current conditions are.if it's nukin windy, not the best idea to solo session it.

TAK

Since 04 Aug 2009
94 Posts

PostTue Dec 04, 18 9:59 pm    Self launch from the parking lot Reply with quote

Just self launch from the parking lot/grass it’s really pretty safe I mean what could possibly go wrong haha??? That’s how we do it but if you don’t feel comfortable with that I’d say you might wanna goto a different spot where consequences are a little less. Rooster still has a big beach if you can handle higher winds. Good luck self launching wherever you try.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Dec 05, 18 9:40 am     Reply with quote

Climbing Mt Hood is dangerous - can we get fixed ropes and a staircase?
Riding Post Canyon expert trails is hard - can we get the rocks removed and the trails raked?
Rock climbing at Beacon Rock is dangerous - can we get some bolts and better holds attached to the rock faces?

Just kidding - sort of.....

I think when Stevenson finishes the water front improvements there will be better opportunities for launching off the new beach west of the current launch.

For now - does anyone know if there are restrictions to launch/land off the new beach area?

Check out the KGW video - especiall the first 30 seconds - https://www.kgw.com/article/money/waterfront-improvements-coming-to-stevenson/283-524671547

Last edited by ldhr on Wed Dec 05, 18 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total

windfun7

Since 23 Aug 2015
40 Posts

PostWed Dec 05, 18 10:22 am     Reply with quote

Was there yesterday and there is a sign on the flat area saying keep out, that's all I know.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Dec 05, 18 11:12 am     Reply with quote

chrissmack wrote:
bigjohn wrote:

it's a "zero sum" game.

If a "zero sum" is balanced out by the fact that I chose not to visit Stevenson anymore during easterlies this fall based on my single experience of showing up without others to launch (or kite with) then I see your point. Unfortunately I do miss the custom made sandwiches at the local grocery store I always pick up after kiting.

Instead I simply continue on to Rooster and have to catch lunch at Charburger's salad bar. Not quite as good in my opinion (although healthier), but then again I'm not really making the drive for lunch options.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Dec 05, 18 2:02 pm     Reply with quote

Red Bluff tap house in Stevenson is AWESOME!
Charburger - best pies and bridge view in the gorge.

bigjohn wrote:
chrissmack wrote:
bigjohn wrote:

it's a "zero sum" game.

If a "zero sum" is balanced out by the fact that I chose not to visit Stevenson anymore during easterlies this fall based on my single experience of showing up without others to launch (or kite with) then I see your point. Unfortunately I do miss the custom made sandwiches at the local grocery store I always pick up after kiting.

Instead I simply continue on to Rooster and have to catch lunch at Charburger's salad bar. Not quite as good in my opinion (although healthier), but then again I'm not really making the drive for lunch options.

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostMon Dec 24, 18 6:46 pm     Reply with quote

A few weeks ago I was there alone on an east wind about 32mph. The water level was pretty low. So I wrapped an extra kite leash around the big log just west of the rock near the steps. I was able to tether and walk my kite out into about knee deep water. Walked back to my kite and hooked in. The kite didn't bounce around like tethered launches at Rooster. It was a very smooth self launch. But the water level needs to be low.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: