Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

CGWA ?
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Nov 21, 18 8:06 pm    CGWA ? Reply with quote

I read the letter to membership about expanding the membership to other water and wind sports. As a 40+ year windsurfer and kiter for 6 years, I have to agree with the expansion to other sports. Windsurfers have carried the work load for site develop, that is not sustainable without help, physically and financially. Let's start to talk about it.

CGWA Letter.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  CGWA Letter.pdf
 Filesize:  1.07 MB
 Downloaded:  4853 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

Nevo

PostThu Nov 22, 18 7:29 am    Great Idea Reply with quote

As someone who is now primarily a kiter but has also spent time windsurfing, paddling, and out on a SUP I would appreciate an organization like this. I think it makes far more sense to work together to continue to build on established relationships instead of each user group trying to fight for their own piece of the pie. I also toured a lot of different launch sites this year and was impressed with how many options the windsurfers have. I'd like to see how those sites could continue to be used and utilized by more user groups.

Rescue boats are a big can of worms in my opinion. I'd love to sit down and hear more behind the motivation for it.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostThu Nov 22, 18 9:52 am     Reply with quote

With the interactions between the windsurfers and kitesurfing at the hatchery, my personal experience I don’t see these groups working together well. When I’m up at the Hatchery waving and saying Hi, all I get is negative feedback. Working together might be an up-hill battel.

craz z

Since 01 Dec 2008
130 Posts
Montana
Stoked

PostThu Nov 22, 18 10:34 am     Reply with quote

Not that a name matters much, but why not keep it the same CGWA Columbia gorge watersports association.

Instead of the long winded acronym CGWAWA Columbia gorge wind and watersports association.

I appreciate all the work that has been done over the years! It would be great to have one voice rather then a bunch of scattered small associations.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Nov 22, 18 10:51 am     Reply with quote

I feel much more can be accomplished if we merge all of the different entities. Also getting the groups together and talking will reduce some of the friction that I find at various sites. I love the logo but prefer the short version CGWA, waterman association. The various groups will find out that we don't eat our young either!

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostThu Nov 22, 18 11:02 am     Reply with quote

I rejoined CGWA, even though it’s been years since I did the pole dance thing. We need to join together and work towards big picture solutions. Swaps, beach cleanups, kids programs, and river access: CGWA has been at it for decades.

I’m more interested in solving access issues and increasing the number of viable launches, rather than trying to provide babysitting services.

I’d stick with the shorter, slightly modified name. Keep it CGWA.

At this point, we must be over the us and them thing, right?

A_Ron

Since 19 Mar 2009
29 Posts
PDX

PostThu Nov 22, 18 2:08 pm     Reply with quote

+1 for CGWA = Columbia Gorge Watersports Association

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostThu Nov 22, 18 8:52 pm     Reply with quote

This sounds too logical - maybe we shouldn't over think it.

CGWA (Columbia Gorge Watersports Association)

Register & Vote

Mc

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Nov 22, 18 9:39 pm     Reply with quote

McLovin wrote:
This sounds too logical - maybe we shouldn't over think it.

CGWA (Columbia Gorge Watersports Association)

Register & Vote

Mc

+1
Water sport river access is so important and yet potentially fragile throughout The Gorge region.

A single voice with a single mission from a well managed organization just makes sense to me.

Besides it seems to me that most current kiters are just retired windsurfers, practicing kite foilers, potential upcoming windfoilers, and dreaming to be future wake or sup foilers.

One organization with One Primary Mission is a simple recipe for success.

Focus on the prize folks.

Let's protect our river access!!!

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostTue Nov 27, 18 6:42 am     Reply with quote

+1 for Watersports. Not too excited about fundraising for rescue boats. I haven’t seen a need except to save someone from a long walk. (I towed several newbies into the White Salmon sandbar this summer). The increased river traffic means a lot more eyes looking out for trouble.
I would love a push for some round gravel added to Viento and Rowena like they did at Stevenson.

Godlike

Since 25 Sep 2008
111 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Nov 27, 18 9:28 am     Reply with quote

Please post this letter or a link to where it can be read.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Nov 27, 18 9:32 am     Reply with quote

Godlike wrote:
Please post this letter or a link to where it can be read.

it's attached to the first post - click on Download

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Nov 27, 18 9:32 am     Reply with quote

Dear lVIembers,
As another season winds down, please take a minute and consider the proposed change in the membership and goals ofthe Columbia Gorge Windsurfing Association. The Board of Directors and have many opportunities to interact with many ofthe river users here in the Columbia Gorge, many of whom are not windsurfers, but kiters, SUP enthusiasts, paddlers, foilers and outrigger canoe or surfski enthusiasts. Over the last year, we have been watching the use of the river become more intense than in years past and as I am sure you are aware, windsurfing is not the only game out there anymore.
The CGWA has spent over 30 years creating relationships and supporting local agencies, state governments, port districts, the Tribes and the Army Corps of Engineers to develop and maintain all of the great launches and access points along almost 100 miles of river. Rowena, Viento, Bob's Beach, Swell City, Arlington, Doug's Beach, the Hook, The Hatchery, Home Valley, lVIaryhill, lVIosier, the Event Site, to name a few, have all benefitted from the CGWA's efforts. None ofthat would have been possible without the hard work ofthe members and the generous donors and businesses that support what we do.
What is occurring now is an evolution in watersports on the river and guess what? They all use the access and a safe river environment we've created to play in, and as the pointy end ofthe spear, (windsurfing started it all) the Board and I feel that we should invite all ofthese new users to join us in our continued efforts, by making them a part of our organization. The time has come to expand what we do, and the work and funding for that type of program will have to come from increased membership and participation from all ofthe new wind and human powered river users. The windsurfing community cannot carry that burden alone, and so what we are proposing to all of you, is a lire-branding" of our Association into one that can include, represent and get support from the broader community of river enthusiasts we all share the water with.
It is in that light that we would like to find a better way forward to continue what the CGWA has always done, and expand what it can do, by asking you for your thoughts on becoming the CGWAWA, Columbia Gorge Wind and Watersports Association. We would like to invite the other user groups to join our association with the idea that we work together to get what we all need: access and safety on the Columbia River here in the Gorge.
__ lfw~_J:Jgc_ome one group, we will have a largervoicewhen it comes to advoc~tin~for river use: We can also raise more funding to chase down what we collectively want, and to improve the Gorge experience for all water users. In the interests of safety, we would like to see this new group set out guidelines for how we all can interact with each other on the water in the safest way possible. We have a safety agenda we are working on and it has long included a goal to have a rescue/chase safety boat program that can help sailors, paddlers and kiters in need duringthe summer season. Equipment failures, fatigue, cold water and big conditions on the river often require the need for a rescue/assist boat, and that is something we think all the river users need and would support. One boat at the Event Site and one at Rowena would be a great start. The funding to start a program like that will require a hefty fundraising effort, and we would like to share that task and responsibility with everyone who enjoys the river, regardless of their passion on the water, to serve everyone.
The potential for what the CGWA can become is only limited by the resources and will of the membership. If all of you as current members of the CGWA can send us feedback on these thoughts, the Board and I will make a proposal reflecting your wishes.
The CGWA, as a membership organization, cannot make changes of this magnitude without broad member support, and in fact will require a vote of the membership, currently planned for early December, and we will move as the membership feedback dictates. Included is a copy of a logo proposal for you to consider as well. Please send us your thoughts by email.mail or phone on this proposed idea, we need and value your input. This branding change is something that the board and I hope to implement by the first of the year, with a ballot sent out on December 1't for your vote. If you could respond with your thoughts before November 30th, it will be greatly appreciated . We look forward to hearing from you. On behalf ofthe Board and myself, thank you.
Fair Winds (and Waves), Bart
Bart Vervloet
Executive Director, Columbia Gorge Windsurfing Association
cgwa1987@gmail.com
541-386-9225

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Nov 27, 18 11:57 am     Reply with quote

Just an FYI

The respective board representatives from the CGWA and the CGKA met last winter to discuss the concept of a merger between the two organizations.

The CGKA proposed a sort of 'dating' phase for this summer to give us each a chance to feel out the idea of a 'marriage' in the future.

To keep in touch with the thoughts and interests of the local kite community, we have been reaching out to a group of representatives made up of former board members, volunteers and local advocates to give us feedback and to bounce thoughts/concerns.

We are still in 'dating' mode, but this winter will be time for us to have discussions and make decisions that we will share as the process progresses along.

Your local CGKA board

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Nov 27, 18 11:57 am    Re: Great Idea Reply with quote

Nevo wrote:
As someone who is now primarily a kiter but has also spent time windsurfing, paddling, and out on a SUP I would appreciate an organization like this. I think it makes far more sense to work together to continue to build on established relationships instead of each user group trying to fight for their own piece of the pie. I also toured a lot of different launch sites this year and was impressed with how many options the windsurfers have. I'd like to see how those sites could continue to be used and utilized by more user groups.

Rescue boats are a big can of worms in my opinion. I'd love to sit down and hear more behind the motivation for it.

What he said exactly; especially on the boats.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostTue Nov 27, 18 5:26 pm     Reply with quote

CGWA ... dating is so 2000 and late Shocked

PUT A RING ON IT!!! Last time I looked out my window there IS ONLY ONE Gorge.

https://youtu.be/4m1EFMoRFvY

Common goals to promote quality access to our playground, it's a BIG river - imagine if we had over 100 access points along both sides OR/WA - crowd factor ZERO.

BTW - already registered $25 for CGWA and will be voting in the election - my .02 + 24.98

No f#cking BOATS - Self Rescue is a CRITICAL EXPECTATION so folks will respect the Gorge conditions and maybe choose to stay on the beach on THOSE days, KNOW THYSELF - Be Prepared like a Boy Scout - Look out for each other on the H20

Golden Rule: Learn how to get in BEFORE you go out.

Mc

2018-11-27_17-03-32.png 

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed Nov 28, 18 3:57 am     Reply with quote

cgka wrote:
Just an FYI

The respective board representatives from the CGWA and the CGKA met last winter to discuss the concept of a merger between the two organizations.

The CGKA proposed a sort of 'dating' phase for this summer to give us each a chance to feel out the idea of a 'marriage' in the future.

To keep in touch with the thoughts and interests of the local kite community, we have been reaching out to a group of representatives made up of former board members, volunteers and local advocates to give us feedback and to bounce thoughts/concerns.

We are still in 'dating' mode, but this winter will be time for us to have discussions and make decisions that we will share as the process progresses along.

Your local CGKA board

Such a train wreck. Your "thoughts/concerns" about a established and proven entity attempting to align all water users under one umbrella is laughable when you should be thankful they're offering to take on the task for you. Please enlighten us on what those concerns may be and how it would be detrimental to any CGKA initiatives? Do you actually have any initiatives in play besides the annual call to the Port to ask if the sheep can move back and forth to the ES grass?

You guys have gotten a pass because your time is all volunteer but if you review all kiter feedback from this forum regarding a stronger water user voice it's an overwhelming yes. However, after a year of on-going discussion you still need more time to review with your tribe of chosen locals to better understand if the change is "marriage" worthy? Go ahead and keep on "dating" and buying time but it looks like the CGWA got tired of the foreplay and is moving forward without you.

Logo change ballots sent this Friday with final decision by early January. Bart needs internal approval first but his intentions and passion have always aligned with river users and his verbiage is specific: We would like to invite the other user groups to join our association with the idea that we work together to get what we all need: access and safety on the Columbia River here in the Gorge.

That's a simple clear message I can support and it's time to pass the baton and take Bart's olive branch extension with open arms and rally the kiter population to drive CGWA membership. I joined yesterday so I can vote in the process and actually have a say in the growth direction. What a concept huh?

I appreciate Anthony for posting up the PDF to help make us all aware of what's in play. Thank you.

+1 for Watersports. Far better than Wa wa waaaaaaa....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: