Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Family of Friends and heroes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
MCD

Since 24 Feb 2014
42 Posts

PostMon Nov 05, 18 8:39 am    Family of Friends and heroes Reply with quote

I had some difficulty reconnecting to my talon yesterday late at Rosey. Many thanks to the awesome people who helped me. Slinger, John, Shawn, Victor, Linda and Greeny all were huge. Sorry for the distraction. I will do better. Also thanks to the Arlington Sherrif for letting me go get my stuff. One love.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Nov 05, 18 10:20 am    Re: Family of Friends and heroes Reply with quote

MCD wrote:
I had some difficulty reconnecting to my talon yesterday late at Rosey. Many thanks to the awesome people who helped me.

This is the third story I've heard this season about people having trouble reconnecting to their Talon this year; I think the Talon has been out on the market just this season? I'm not sure about your skill level, but the other two instances were with very seasoned (15 year and 12 year kiters and out in the waves on the ocean).

Can you elaborate as to why you couldn't reconnect?

Hats of to those who aided you. I hope you got them some beers and a dozen donuts for the sheriff. Laughing

MCD

Since 24 Feb 2014
42 Posts

PostMon Nov 05, 18 1:05 pm    Family of Friends and heroes Reply with quote

Sasquatch,
I have only three years of kiting but quite a few days. The talon is hard to reattach because you have to move it to your belly rope and flip it through the rope move the catch down into position and then through that and up, all the while holding the spring loaded cover away from you. Its a two handed operation and I was mid river, overpowered on 8 meter RPM and although I tried at least 30 times I never could get it done before I hit the end of the safety line and the kite would pull me too hard while I was fumbling. I have done it before successfully but to see what you are doing you have to place your head underwater. By paying too much attention to that and not the kite, I allowed the kite to tangle and wrap a wing tip. It was a wild time. I am not blaming equipment. This was pilot error and ineptitude. A friend, John suggested I get a clip that is easier for using in a similar situation as an emergency go to. I will figure this out.
By the way, I bumped the release when I was pulling depower. Just clumsy.

patdaniels

Since 29 Jul 2015
91 Posts
Seattle area

PostMon Nov 05, 18 1:18 pm     Reply with quote

Talon is harder to reconnect on the water vs chicken loop. It's not hard to connect on the beach prior to launch, but a different story on the water if you release and want to reconnect on the water. I've done it many times successfully, but noted it's harder.

It's because there's not a lot of room to get the Talon around slider line, then get the end into place to reconnect to guardian or sentinel box. This is in part due to the moving/hinged part with the Talon that connects into the box. It can be harder to get connected with swell smashing you, and kite pulling compared to chicken loop.

I've mostly gone back to the small chicken loop as a result. It's way easier to reconnect "under stress" on the water, and it's still significantly tighter than the standard chicken loop.

The reason small chicken loop is easier to reconnect on the water? There's more room to position it correctly + the metal end that connects into box is fixed and can be inserted correctly more easily.

I still use Talon from time to time because it's cool, and tight.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Nov 05, 18 4:18 pm     Reply with quote

I keep a small carabiner clipped to my harness and have reset the qr and used the biner to then hook it to the rope just to get home. Works well and having an extra biner can come in handy other ways.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Nov 05, 18 6:40 pm     Reply with quote

MCD

This is a link to the carabiners I was showing you.

https://www.amazon.com/Rallt-Aluminum-Wire-Gate-Carabiners/dp/B01M3V3MKM

Strong and light. Easy to carry on your harness.

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue Nov 06, 18 9:02 am     Reply with quote

A good QR system is really important. Practicing on land before going out on the water is important too. Practicing putting your QR system back together while not looking until you have it down will really help avoid these problems.

Also, I prefer QRs that allow me to reassemble them one handed under water with practice.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostTue Nov 06, 18 12:24 pm    Unwanted release. Reply with quote

I have had 2 unwanted releases with a slider rope harness. Once with a chicken loop and once with a talon. I was able to reconnect the chicken loop but not the talon.
The trick is not come undone in the first place. Both times I was trying to depower my below bar trim when it released. My hand hit the release.
I switched to above the bar depower. No more problems.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Nov 06, 18 12:47 pm     Reply with quote

I love slingshot but hate my Talon.
Having the leash, depower, and quick release all together at your belly button = accident waiting to happen.
Going back to small CL as recommended by Pat.

Slayer - what QR system can be put back together under stress underwater with one hand?

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue Nov 06, 18 11:10 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:

Slayer - what QR system can be put back together under stress underwater with one hand?

Best 2006-2008 and the Naish QR that has been around for years. It just takes practice when you are on land, so you know what to do without being able to see the QR. I have not tried other QRs that I can remember, but I bet others ban be done with one hand too.

Even if you had to use two hands, knowing instinctively how to put it back together quickly without looking will help greatly

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Nov 07, 18 6:14 am     Reply with quote

The new Ozone qr just clicks together like a seatbelt. No need to hold anything open to reset it. Could not be easier unless it was automatic or magnetic.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Nov 08, 18 10:31 am     Reply with quote

^^^^ cool!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: