Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

New fins for directional surf board
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostThu Sep 13, 18 6:19 pm    Fins Reply with quote

I did not like the better quality but smaller G10 fins as follows : I ride mostly side to side on, on one of the smaller Hawaiian Islands. Blasting wind. Waves whenever there is wind and thats most of the time. I am 240 lbs and ride an 8m Reo most days with de-power in it. Usually in the surf. You go upwind in the shallow flat choppy lagoon and then down wind in the waves on the reef and do laps like that. The smaller fins did not like going upwind and were less stable doing smooth arc turns going downing on waves. So I did not like them for upwind on flat chop and I did not like them for riding lefts downwind. Also the smaller fins take slightly more speed to plane out.One positive thing is that they were smaller so you could ride with 3/4" to 1" less water on the reef and not hit.

The larger cheap-o plastic fins do all that very well and smooth. The larger fins seem to plane out a bit quicker than the smaller fins. The only negative is that I need about 1" more water on the reef to keep from hitting those fins ... Very Happy

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Sep 13, 18 7:30 pm     Reply with quote

By chance, have you tried the G10 fins in a larger size to compare? Just curious about the feel.

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostThu Sep 13, 18 7:39 pm    Larger G10 Reply with quote

I did. Different shape though. Did not like them. Too snappy for me. I guess I just like the flexibility of the plastic cheap-os. Thats just this board though. I have other boards that have high quality fins I like.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: