Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

UPDATE!-CGKA-EVENT SITE KITE Launch will reopen 9/15/18

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Sep 08, 18 2:48 pm    UPDATE!-CGKA-EVENT SITE KITE Launch will reopen 9/15/18 Reply with quote

UPDATED !
Kite launch and land access at the EAST SIDE of the Event Site will re-open on September 15th.

The Port of Hood River has reviewed the water levels and our requests for an earlier opening date, and has responded with a reopening date of 9/15.
This will give the Port and the CGKA time to review policies and reset proper safety signage.

Regular rules for launch and land will resume:
- East Side of the Event Site is for kites, west side is for all other users.
- East Side, meaning East of the WHITE LINES indicating the launch/land zones
- Pump/Set lines at the upper section of the Event Site, not in the zones
- Never leave your gear in the launch/land zones - set and launch/land and clean up
- Please no show off freestyle inside the buoys - If you do this and are seeking attention, you will get it from people looking at you and thinking you are being a dick.
- Even when the west side of the Event Site is empty, it does not mean it is there for your taking. When the left lane of the road is clear of cars, do you drive in it? No! Same rules apply at the Event Site. RESPECT all other beach users and their areas.

*The success of these launch/land privileges lies on the shoulders of our local kite community to help self regulate and self manage our users.
Side note - It would very much be appreciated if locals could continue to speak up to those that they see obviously breaking/stretching the rules. During these times, CGKA board members have been asked to go speak to rule breakers and it can be a bit challenging for these persons to then seemingly become the beach police.

Thank you and happy fall riding!
Your local CGKA Board

Last edited by cgka on Mon Sep 10, 18 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Sep 08, 18 2:49 pm     Reply with quote

As an additional side note, if you feel that the Event Site opening should be sooner, please take the time to send your well organized thoughts to the Port of Hood River.
A nice, cordially written email can go a long way, especially when enough additional persons do it.

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Sep 10, 18 11:01 am     Reply with quote

Update BUMP!

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 10, 18 11:46 am     Reply with quote

Great job negotiating this!
Thank you Pepi and CGKA!
Launching from the grass is much appreciated for the after-work and after-school locals.

Saildoogie

Since 16 Oct 2013
77 Posts
White Salmon, WA

PostMon Sep 10, 18 9:26 pm     Reply with quote

Fyi: let’s make sure and let everyone know that it is not until the 15th that we can launch from the grass. I had a polite word with some out of towners earlier today who were about to launch off the grass (I think one may have in the morning). Once I explained that it could ban kiting from the event site if we mess up our relationship with the port, they seemed to understand.
So let’s not be shy but be polite and approach people.
Doogie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: