Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Flying to La Ventana Jan 22nd, anybody going ?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Gorgegezzer

Since 14 Jan 2007
67 Posts

PostFri Aug 31, 18 8:05 am    Flying to La Ventana Jan 22nd, anybody going ? Reply with quote

First trip to LV. Have a casita reserved. I have inquired about a shuttle but not firmed. I have talked to some regular LV visitors and read some posts. I am staying for 20 days. I am not an experienced traveler. Any advice?

tkaraszewski

Since 21 Oct 2016
41 Posts
Hood River

PostFri Aug 31, 18 10:09 am     Reply with quote

Not sure if I'm going this season or not, but La Ventana is pretty easy. Fly to Los Cabos, pick up your car (shuttle or rental car) and drive up. The drive up is easy and directions work fine in Google Maps. You can download offline maps to your phone ahead of time if you're worried about having cell service down there (check with your cell provider).

Once you get there there's only one main road through town. Town is full of visitors who kite (and speak English), and most of the people who work in the tourism industry also speak English, in case you're worried about that.

Just ignore all the guys trying to get you to look at time shares on the way out of the Los Cabos airport and you'll be fine. When I was there last winter, there wasn't much in the way of working ATMs in LV, so it might be wise to get some pesos out of an ATM in Los Cabos before you drive up, but check with people who are down there before you arrive. There's an active Facebook group with lots of info and Olivia at Playa Central is really helpful.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 31, 18 11:00 am     Reply with quote

Don't exchange money at the airport - their exchange rate sucks, you can usually change money in town in the main bars at better rate.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Aug 31, 18 11:33 am     Reply with quote

voy-tech wrote:
Don't exchange money at the airport - their exchange rate sucks, you can usually change money in town in the main bars at better rate.

Sometimes there is no cash available in LV.

Buy some pesos from your bank before heading down. Exchange rate isn't great but at least you don't have to worry about finding pesos right away. I use Wells Fargo. It takes some time as they have to ship to my local bank from Portland.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 31, 18 11:38 am     Reply with quote

And as far as riding goes - don't get stuck riding only in front of Baja Joe's it's the easy, convenient and obvious place to be.... but the wind there comes last, dies first and is weaker than little north of LV plus it gets really crowded.
Find buddies to do downwinders from Rasta Beach to Playa Central or Baja Joe's (pretty much two cars are needed for those).

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Aug 31, 18 3:30 pm     Reply with quote

this guy put some work into making a guide. seems like good info.

ive been a few times, there are lots of options and its a pretty easy trip

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-40796.html&highlight=

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 31, 18 5:07 pm     Reply with quote

Have your van driver stop in Los Barriles at the ATM a couple blocks on the right after you make the turnoff. The best beaches are north of town, sandy and less kiters.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Aug 31, 18 8:37 pm     Reply with quote

If you are an AAA member they will sell you pesos at a decent rate. Check before you go as it changes daily. And Ventana these days might as well be a suburb in the US so it will be easy to adapt. Enjoy.

Gorgegezzer

Since 14 Jan 2007
67 Posts

PostWed Dec 05, 18 7:12 am    Did I buy the wrong size of kite bag? Reply with quote

I purchased a Dakine 190 (75") bag. Then I saw a post that Alaska would charge an oversize fee because it is long than 5' (60"). I guess I could look into getting it shortened. I intend to use the bag for more trips. I just have a twin tip. So why did I buy a longer bag? More room in it I guess.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Dec 05, 18 9:10 am    Re: Did I buy the wrong size of kite bag? Reply with quote

Gorgegezzer wrote:
I purchased a Dakine 190 (75") bag. Then I saw a post that Alaska would charge an oversize fee because it is long than 5' (60"). I guess I could look into getting it shortened. I intend to use the bag for more trips. I just have a twin tip. So why did I buy a longer bag? More room in it I guess.

Alaska published new rates as of today! It looks like they raised their baggage fees. Oversized went from $75 to $100.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/baggage/checked-bags

If you purchased tickets before December 5 - you would still qualify for $75.

Worst case they charge you $100 each way. I've never been charged oversize coming home from Mexico.
Last month -
Just flew Alaska to Maui and did not get charged for oversize even thought my bag is 6 feet long! I suggest you take your chances and worst case pay $100. Make sure it's under 50 pounds.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Dec 05, 18 4:03 pm     Reply with quote

Fold it over and wrap it with tape?

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Dec 05, 18 5:29 pm     Reply with quote

When you pick up your luggage at the airport, don't listen to the pretty young woman in a tight skirt that tells you to enter the doors to her right. Go to her left and avoid a bunch of salesmen. I was blown away that the airport allowed this.

purdyd

Since 27 Nov 2006
41 Posts

PostMon Dec 10, 18 5:51 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
Surfboards/paddleboards
One item of surfing or paddle equipment is defined as a surfboard or paddleboard case with up to two boards inside. On Alaska Airlines flights operated with 737 or Airbus aircraft the equipment may measure a maximum 115" (9 ft., 7 in.) in length alone. On Alaska Airlines flights 2000-2999 and 3330-3499 the maximum combined dimensions may not exceed 115" (linear).

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/baggage/special-baggage/traveling-with-sporting-equipment

On Alaska, two surfboards are treated as regular luggage

Hulk

Since 17 Feb 2017
29 Posts
Portland, OR

PostSat Jan 05, 19 4:42 pm     Reply with quote

Rather than start a new LV thread I'll piggy-back on this one.

Going down at the end of Feb. First time in LV, did Los Barriles a couple years ago but 1) i was a total noob and 2) there was no wind. So...

Kite sizes: iKite is showing max's in the high teens. Is this accurate? Saw a post on Cap't Kirk's page that actual speeds can be more than double the forecast, so want to make sure I'm packing the right quiver. Fully dressed and geared up I clock in at around 200#, riding a twintip. Definitely bringing my 17.5 and 13.5. Do I need the 10.5? I'm quite sure I don't need the 8 but if someone has an argument for it, I'd love to hear it.

Spots: we're staying near Palapas Ventana. The place we rented comes with a downwinder vehicle (score!) so we're mobile on the beach. Where are the best launches for consistent and lasting wind? (saw a post saying the southerly launches eg: baja joe's get wind last and shut it off first, on top of crowds)

Downwinders: if anyone wants to link up, shoot me a message and we'll connect. I've got 10 people coming and only 2 kiters, so drivers galore.

Thanks all

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jan 05, 19 4:57 pm     Reply with quote

10.5 and 13.5 will be your most used. don't bother with an 8.
if you really enjoy the 17 - go ahead and take it. I've never seen one down there.
there's a great beach and launch adjacent to Palapas Ventanas - it's as windy as anywhere else.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSun Jan 06, 19 6:23 am     Reply with quote

3 days ago there were no ATM's working in LV. Stop in Los Barriles for pesos, Samue'ls shuttle service does that all the time.

jjoyce

Since 26 Aug 2014
6 Posts

Kook

PostSun Jan 13, 19 2:22 pm     Reply with quote

Can anyone say whether the ikite sensor is an accurate reading of "on the water" wind speeds?

headed down in Feb

thx
jj

LV wind graph.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  LV wind graph.jpg
 Filesize:  935.87 KB
 Downloaded:  412 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: