Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Hood River Huckfest - Time to Bring it Back?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostMon Aug 20, 18 9:11 am    Hood River Huckfest - Time to Bring it Back? Reply with quote

Howdy All-

I've been discussing the revival of the Hood River Huckfest with some friends because we all miss the event. There is also no Gorge-region kiting event in August or the Fall. It may be possible to put something together to take advantage of the fall Rooster winds, although time is pretty short (may just have to hold an "unofficial" style event). I thought I'd throw this out here to gauge some interest in the event. If interest is high I will look into planning an event! (but no guarantees yet).

For context, the Hood River Huckfest was previously held over at Rufus, organized and run by Mike Duhaime (thanks, Mike!), back when the Xensr and Woo type devices were just being brought to market. The last huckfest was in 2015:
http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-36476.html&highlight=huckfest

The premise of the event was simple: A bracket-style tournament to see who could jump the highest, as measured by the Woo/Xensr devices. Landing the jump was not required! The event was open to all kiters and it was great for both newer kiters curious to see how big they could go as well as veterans challenging each other to go bigger. The event was equipped with the height tracking devices such that participants did not need to own one themselves.

WOO (and other) devices have been out a while now and I see many people putting up big numbers on the leaderboards every week. So it's probably a good time to have a good old fashioned boost-off Very Happy.

Nothing is planned yet, but here are some ideas for what the event could entail:
-Divisions for Twin Tip, Foils, and maybe even Strapless Surf(?) depending on interest.
-Divisions for Mens, Womens, and Groms (<1Cool.
-Scoring based on height only
-Possible separate division for Big Air that is judged based on Height + Style (think Red Bull King of the Air). Again, depends on the interest level.

If this is something that would interest you (or even concern you), please speak up! And feel free to add any suggestions/comments. I'm really just looking to get the conversation started again.

-Darren

Last edited by Dern on Mon Aug 20, 18 11:41 am; edited 2 times in total

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Aug 20, 18 9:39 am     Reply with quote

What about overall distance as a category?

A+ for effort and stoke factor, Dern!

KOF

Since 30 Mar 2011
51 Posts
Seattle

PostTue Aug 21, 18 8:34 pm     Reply with quote

Would love to see big air foil category!

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 21, 18 9:40 pm     Reply with quote

I’d totally be in to that! I’d help too if you need or want it.

Amy

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostWed Sep 05, 18 1:46 pm     Reply with quote

I'm pulling the trigger on this event, targeting the weekend of September 29-30, with the following two weekends in october as wind contingency (Oct 6-7, Oct 13-14). Stay Tuned for more details

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: