Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kite Roll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jul 29, 18 12:39 pm    Kite Roll Reply with quote

More than once, I've crashed my kite and it rolls into itself and the lines get wrapped once to where the steering lines are over the center lines. Of course, I can still fly it, but the kite is awkward. I usually go in to the beach, fix this lines, then relaunch. Is there a way to fix this on the water?

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 29, 18 12:51 pm     Reply with quote

You must completely unhook inc leash and pass your bar through the V of the center lines in the opposite direction that it rolled. All the while hoping your kite does not relaunch/get away from you/roll it thru the wrong direction so now making it twice as bad.

Yes, I’ve seen it done.

No, I don’t recommend.

With the low water Wells Island can workto land and fix. Beware of lots of roots, etc poking up on the North side beaches, however.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 29, 18 1:50 pm     Reply with quote

^^^^^
when you do this - depending on what type of bar you have - you can usually clip one of the lines with your leash for insurance.... then put your leash back on the safety line.

Jbruck

Since 17 Jun 2016
43 Posts
Eugene, OR

PostSun Jul 29, 18 7:46 pm     Reply with quote

he definitely makes it look easy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXS24IEoN4o

I also just land and fix the lines...

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 29, 18 7:54 pm     Reply with quote

Now he needs to do that in deep water, swell, gusts over 30, keeping your board close by and nobody holding the kite....

No thanks

Jbruck

Since 17 Jun 2016
43 Posts
Eugene, OR

PostSun Jul 29, 18 7:55 pm     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
Now he needs to do that in deep water, swell, gusts over 30, keeping your board close by and nobody holding the kite....

No thanks

Yep looks like a recipe for a death loop

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 29, 18 8:34 pm     Reply with quote

Could never get this with my Parks, Pivots, or any other kite. But with the Clouds it's not a problem

KOF

Since 30 Mar 2011
51 Posts
Seattle

PostMon Jul 30, 18 10:51 am     Reply with quote

Yeah I’ve done it before in deep water on a 10m Naish Park but wouldn’t do it again. Got lucky passing the chicken loop through the v and reconnecting. Stupid move to try though as my kite powered up just as I got my chicken loop around. Now I always ride in and land to sort out the lines

JK

Since 27 Jul 2011
9 Posts

Kook

PostMon Jul 30, 18 12:29 pm     Reply with quote

I have had success passing the bar through the lines but mostly in light wind.

That being said recently I decided to try it on the Washington side of Jones Beach on a 6M with the wind blowing a good 25-30. I just got to the Washington side and crashed the kite. It rolled over the center lines and one steering line was crossed over the center. The water level was high so there was no beach to land on on by the pools. I knew that I should head back to the Oregon side and reset the lines, but i just made it over the there! After a couple tacks I convinced myself that is was a good idea and I tried it. As I started to pass the bar through the center line I caught out of the corner of my eye the kite relaunch. The first loop quickly picked me up out of the water and I landed it heading downwind. The next seven loops resulted in a nice face plant, losing the board, and getting dragged across the water like a rag doll. Kite finally crashed and stopped looping. I was able to get the bar sorted out (the line was still crossed), retrieve my board , and head back to the Oregon side to fix the lines and head back out.

I got lucky. Land the kite and reset lines.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jul 30, 18 12:38 pm     Reply with quote

Jbruck wrote:
he definitely makes it look easy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXS24IEoN4o

I also just land and fix the lines...

Bar magic on the beach is easy on a 4 line kite when you have someone holding your kite in the "ready" position. This technique also works well from the directly downwind position without a holder:
Step 1) Get an outside steering line clean to the kite.
Step 2) Keeping your clean line separate now roll your bar through the remaining 3 lines. The part people usually have difficulty with is that you have to rotate your bar 360 degrees (same rotation as if you were releasing the throttle on a motorcycle) while you are clearing the last 3 lines. This rotation allows you to keep your single steering line continuously clear.

But, in my opinion bar magic in the water is down right crazy. Especially in high winds.

That being said, I watched a guy at Rufus do it many times repeatedly. He was working on a new trick and kept running through his lines. It appeared to me that he would swim toward the kite to keep his lines slack and then push his bar through (all the time hoping his kite didn't power up).

***Additionally, if your center lines have a connection point part way up your kite lines (as some brands do) it would be exceptionally difficult to feed through this point while in the water.***

Edit *** Let me clarify. The directly downwind position is on the beach where you are directly downwind of your kite... A position you could never achieve in the water. *** End Edit.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 30, 18 6:28 pm     Reply with quote

^^^

I'm with BigJohn. Come to shore

Speedo

Since 07 May 2007
262 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Aug 02, 18 10:28 pm     Reply with quote

The risk/reward aint worth it in my experience.

A couple weeks ago I attempted to fix out on the water after kiting to hatchery from event site. I hooked my leash to depower line as insurance and it got messed up by a gust. My depower was pulled really far and i couldnt fix that. My lines were different than before i started the “fix” and certainly not improved. And i began a very miserable and sketchy downwind back to ES. The kite wouldn't fly right, i couldnt downloop the kite in one direction and slacked my lines multiple times. It took FOREVER to get home. . I would have saved a lot more time and heart ache just landing somewhere. On the plus side my lats got a good workout from overcompensating for a goofy flying kite (they were sore as shit the next day).

Could have been worse for sure.

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Aug 06, 18 8:55 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm glad I'm not missing some easy fix. Sounds like if you can do it with your kite, do it; but be careful.

Had an odd experience at Jones where my middle bridle lines wrapped around the wing tip. To keep the kite static, I had to pull about 18 inches of the right line and then I could balance my crippled kite back to shore.

I need a reset button, where all my lines automatically go back to their initial location. Very Happy

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostWed Aug 08, 18 12:22 pm     Reply with quote

Tricky, tricky maneuver; watch your fingers! I do a lot of downwinders, and do this on occasion if there is limited beach, to land and fix. And yes swimming to the kite to lessen tension is the key; followed by a deliberate, fast technique. Do not dilly-dally!

I don’t have an issue with continuing to ride and rip...always worry bout the “wear” on the lines from rubbing, but I’ve ridden many miles, many times with crossed lines, just a little slower response time with kite!

navi

Since 23 Aug 2014
71 Posts

PostSun Aug 26, 18 9:50 pm     Reply with quote

This has saved me more than once. Worked fine on my Slingshots, haven't had to do it on my Neos yet.
https://vimeo.com/156518340

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: