Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Foiling...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jul 22, 18 7:11 am    Foiling... Reply with quote

OMG! I love it! Flying across the water is perhaps the best rush i’ve ever had. Another life ruining opportunity. Very Happy

I might need a 12 step program again...

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostSun Jul 22, 18 10:01 am     Reply with quote

Were all trying to learn to foil in your old stomping grounds today.
Were doing boat pull training at noon. Everyone is sharing my foil at this point.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 23, 18 6:44 am     Reply with quote

I have a theory that the brain functions being engaged by the balancing of the foil is secreting endorphin and endocannabinoid chemicals resulting in a Foiler's High.
The more you foil, the longer you foil - the higher you get.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 23, 18 7:26 am     Reply with quote

My theory is that foiling is also delaying the onset of my old age dementia. Fingers crossed.

ldhr wrote:
I have a theory that the brain functions being engaged by the balancing of the foil is secreting endorphin and endocannabinoid chemicals resulting in a Foiler's High.
The more you foil, the longer you foil - the higher you get.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

JK

Since 27 Jul 2011
9 Posts

Kook

PostMon Jul 23, 18 11:26 am     Reply with quote

Hey Occupied Columbia were you out on a foil and 13M around 4:00 yesterday? I was on the Washington side wishing I had a foil!

Quote:
Were all trying to learn to foil in your old stomping grounds today.
Were doing boat pull training at noon. Everyone is sharing my foil at this point.

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 23, 18 7:02 pm     Reply with quote

Hey-Hey to the CC boys! Boat pull training was likely entertaining and fun!

Went to Jones this afternoon and foiled a bit. So damn fun...can’t wait until tomorrow. Hope to see you guys in the near future. Tell all I said hey.

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 23, 18 7:28 pm     Reply with quote

pollywog wrote:
Hey-Hey to the CC boys! Boat pull training was likely entertaining and fun!

Went to Jones this afternoon and foiled a bit. So damn fun...can’t wait until tomorrow. Hope to see you guys in the near future. Tell all I said hey.

Yeah. We got up for a little bit then buckaroo!
Come on out. some of the crew will be at BOTG

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 23, 18 7:31 pm     Reply with quote

JK wrote:
Hey Occupied Columbia were you out on a foil and 13M around 4:00 yesterday? I was on the Washington side wishing I had a foil!

I wish. He's been foiling for a couple years now.

KOF

Since 30 Mar 2011
51 Posts
Seattle

PostMon Jul 23, 18 8:49 pm     Reply with quote

Foiling is where it's at. Nothing like a huge, floaty boost on a foil for a great high!

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 24, 18 2:15 pm    foiling Reply with quote

It is pretty incredible. I know it's basically a cliche at this point to be a foiling evangelist. Nevertheless, I have experiences like today - I was silently foiling across the water this morning at a pretty quiet event site. I was following a flock of birds cruising along the water surface. I couldn't help thinking this is the closest thing to flying and couldn't wibe the grin off my face.

GregK

Since 21 Jan 2010
14 Posts
Comox, BC

PostTue Jul 31, 18 7:36 pm     Reply with quote

After 35 years skimming along the top of the water ( waterskiing, windsurfing, kiting ) flying above it on a foil has been a major reset for my neural networks. So different, so little resistance.

Mind-blowing might be a simpler way to describe it.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 01, 18 7:09 am     Reply with quote

Jones is the perfect spot to learn. Like Stevenson but with a mile of sandy ocean beach. Just had my first 4 days learning to foil this last week at Jones. I had been trying to find a good day in the gorge for a month but it was always crazy busy or crazy windy. 2 hour sessions over 4 days and I can gybe on foil over 50% and hardly touchdown anymore. The Slingshot h4 and h2 wing are what made the difference. The h5 (normal kite wing) is faster and more turny, the h2 (sup wing) is super stable and slow with a lot of lift and pumps well. The h4 (surfwing aka batwing) is my favorite and is slow and turny but doesn’t have quite as much lift or pumpability as the h2.
The slow takeoff and lower top end of these surf wings made crashing pretty painless compared to the high speed wings I saw friends learning on a few years ago. Wasn’t so sure I needed to foil but I have the fever. I started so I can go at a home spot this winter, Nehalem Bay (behind Manzanita) has light Easterlies (10-15) when Rooster is 40+. But the water and air are over 50 all winter long🤯

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: