Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Apple iWatch 3 with Cell for kiteboarding/foiling?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Jul 18, 18 6:55 am     Reply with quote

I had almost lost mine after a big wipeout, the sport loop came undone but i managed to tighten it back before anything happened - putting in under the wetsuit since (i ride with long sleeve shorty in the summer).

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 18, 18 7:17 am     Reply with quote

Are all iwatch bands attached with spring loaded pins? If so, that's where I donated watches to the depths in years past after crashing. The band strength was never the weak link.

Godlike

Since 25 Sep 2008
111 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jul 19, 18 10:10 am     Reply with quote

shred_da_gorge wrote:
A.K. wrote:
Well the iwatch has already saved one kiters life down the Bay area. Just google "iwatch saves Kiter" for all the press.

Ventura, not bay area. There are lots of Apple employees who kite in the bay area, though.

Wrong tool for the job, last month a windsurfer ebbing out to sea at the golden Gate bridge was not able to get a signal on his Apple watch.

Please read:

http://www.sfba.org/marine-radio-guide.html

tgautier

Since 22 Oct 2016
48 Posts

PostThu Jul 19, 18 10:53 am     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
Are all iwatch bands attached with spring loaded pins? If so, that's where I donated watches to the depths in years past after crashing. The band strength was never the weak link.

No - Apple Watch bands are attached with a proprietary friction based system. While I've had a band slip a little, I would never worry about that being a failure point on the water. It's a very secure system (although to work properly it does depend on the vendor of the band to make the band properly to fit snugly).

teabagger

Since 15 Jun 2012
68 Posts

CGKA Member

PostThu Aug 09, 18 9:54 pm     Reply with quote

There's also a ton of different bands. Sport-style watches that surround the face so you aren't relying on the slip-in pin style that most bands use world be safest. Think a LifeProof case for the watch minus the waterproofing. But the Velcro and elastic options (not Apple brand) seem secure on mine.

I wonder how far down in the Columbia the cell signal will transmit to the surface. In theory you'd be able to locate a lost watch with the find my phone app from a separate device since it's waterproof. The pond would be easier than the channel Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: