Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

unsafe and disrespectful activity in Rufus launch zone
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jul 18, 18 7:37 pm    unsafe and disrespectful activity in Rufus launch zone Reply with quote

Dear "brand name kite",

A white van with your brand name logo in large letters and out of country license plates was at Rufus doing a photo shoot today.

What appeared to be your team riders somehow thought it would be cool to do a photo shoot in the main launch area for approximately 1/2 hour. These riders decided to place a photographer at the east side of the launch zone while two of your riders thought it would be cool to do tail drags across the launch zone back and forth about every 30 seconds or so completely blocking the launch/land area. This is inappropriate behavior and this brand name should know better.

Perhaps they thought that all the people with kites on the beach (and in the water) gawking at them were simply in awe of their kiting skills. More likely they were wondering how to launch and land their kites safely. Your actions created an unsafe environment today.

There are many other options for a photo shoot in the Rufus area. They could even contribute to the local economy by paying a local fisherman $40 for a boat ride to one of the other beautiful scenic areas we have here in The Gorge.

There are mixed skill levels of kiters that launch at Rufus. While many kiters had the skills to navigate through the unsafe condition created by the photographer and riders there were other kiters that were impacted. I saw numerous situations where your team's riders scared or deviated kiters actions in unsafe ways.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostWed Jul 18, 18 8:33 pm     Reply with quote

You would not be doxing a person, but rather a irresponsible behavior of an entire kite team. Just put up the name so this definitely gets back to them. No one is going to think the name on the side of their kite encourages stupid behavior. This was clearly the irresponsibility of a group that should have known better and should hear about this.

I have a few "rag kites" ready to retire next year, along with some bars I do not use regularly for various reasons. I would have launched leashless and made sure that these "pro's" knew they needed to get out of the way.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Jul 18, 18 11:04 pm     Reply with quote

It probably was the same company doing a photo shoot last week at Lot C towards the south jetty of the Columbia.

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 19, 18 3:15 am     Reply with quote

Matt V wrote:
You would not be doxing a person, but rather a irresponsible behavior of an entire kite team. Just put up the name so this definitely gets back to them. No one is going to think the name on the side of their kite encourages stupid behavior. This was clearly the irresponsibility of a group that should have known better and should hear about this.

I have a few "rag kites" ready to retire next year, along with some bars I do not use regularly for various reasons. I would have launched leashless and made sure that these "pro's" knew they needed to get out of the way.

No kidding. The OP is way too passive. Name names . Also, I would just get in their way if they did not listen to requests to not use the launch zone for their photo shoot.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 19, 18 6:00 am    In the way Reply with quote

Sounds kind of like lyle. Was there helping a friend get her water starts going.
There was a jack ass getting big air right next to the beach. He went back and forth 20 times. He was blocking people going in/out and beginners trying set their first rides.
I guess he needed a crowd to show off for. Yes I tried to get his attention on the water to tell him he was a dick. He never heard me calling him. Too busy showing off.

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostThu Jul 19, 18 6:43 am    ... Reply with quote

is this post a follow up to a conversation you had with them, in person, at rufus?

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Jul 19, 18 7:35 am    Re: ... Reply with quote

chrissmack wrote:
is this post a follow up to a conversation you had with them, in person, at rufus?

No, I did not make any comments in person (perhaps a few unhappy glares Rolling Eyes ). It was obvious to me that they were there on a mission.

The purpose of this post isn't to disrupt anyone's business by naming names (although I have to admit the thought crossed my mind). I understand that from their perspective they need to market their product. They probably justified their actions by the fact that they only disrupted the lineup on a weekday when numbers are down, and it was only for half an hour...

Rather the purpose is to bring awareness to those in the industry of how their actions are perceived by others around.

There are things they could have done to mitigate my frustration:
1) Communicated what they were doing and how long they would be there
2) Develop breaks or cycles in their photo shoots to allow others easy access to the runway.
3) Help with the landing and launching process to streamline things.
4) Moved their photo shoot to the island directly west... With identical surroundings (minus my glaring face in the photos...)

Also, I should be clear that I don't know for sure these guys are direct representatives of the brand... Although they did appear to be based upon their vehicle and setup.

BCD131

Since 26 Mar 2013
31 Posts

PostThu Jul 19, 18 8:11 am     Reply with quote

You're letting them off the hook by not naming names. Industry people are not going to look at this and say let's have a talk with our riders about this kind of behavior. Name names

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Explosive Diarrhea

PostThu Jul 19, 18 8:27 am    Re: In the way Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:

There was a jack ass getting big air right next to the beach. He went back and forth 20 times. He was blocking people going in/out and beginners trying set their first rides.

Outgoing has right of way over incoming.

Less maneuverable craft (beginners) have right of way over more maneuverable craft (intermediates or advanced).

The one exception to the above is in waves. "Rider on a wave" has right of way over "outgoing kiter" (though I do not agree with this one, but I do abide by it). This can make Ft. Stevens a mess for getting out from lot B when the HRR's are there.

At Lyle, there would be no waves, nor would a rider maintain right of way when disengaging the wave (jumping off of it, and not returning to it).

If you think you have some skill, show it by demonstrating an awareness and ability to avoid encounters with those who can't avoid you.

I need to get my old ripped kites out and put some sail tape on them for these "special occasions". They just have to be able to fly, not land.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Explosive Diarrhea

PostThu Jul 19, 18 8:35 am     Reply with quote

BCD131 wrote:
You're letting them off the hook by not naming names. Industry people are not going to look at this and say let's have a talk with our riders about this kind of behavior. Name names

That is bigjohn's prerogative. Seems like many disagree with him in protecting the offending team riders from a focused backlash, but he is playing this one according to his morals which differ from the morals of many other posters. I support him in sticking to his morals, though I disagree with the principle.

But thanks to him taking the time to post, we at least know there was an issue.

windfun7

Since 23 Aug 2015
40 Posts

PostThu Jul 19, 18 10:04 am     Reply with quote

Perhaps someone can get a video of this next time it happens and put it on Youtube.

luke

Since 06 Jul 2005
399 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jul 19, 18 11:01 am     Reply with quote

appropriate permits are possibly required for commercial use of photos/videos from that property.

They could have shot this action yesterday:
from ikitesurf
"WATCH OUT for barges! There was a scary incident at The Wall yesterday with a barge hitting a woman's board and carrying it upriver dangling from its starboard bow for several hundred feet. The barge stopped and backed up while crew members scrambled along the deck to free the board and sail. As the barge reversed we could finally see the woman's head near the rig. She made it safely to the far bank with her board."

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Jul 19, 18 1:49 pm     Reply with quote

luke wrote:
"WATCH OUT for barges! There was a scary incident at The Wall yesterday with a barge hitting a woman's board and carrying it upriver dangling from its starboard bow for several hundred feet. The barge stopped and backed up while crew members scrambled along the deck to free the board and sail. As the barge reversed we could finally see the woman's head near the rig. She made it safely to the far bank with her board."

Crazy! Shocked Very happy to hear she is still around to give a recap because that's a story with so many questions to answer.

Jbruck

Since 17 Jun 2016
43 Posts
Eugene, OR

PostThu Jul 19, 18 3:36 pm     Reply with quote

Apologies if I end up blaming the wrong person...but I think this may have been Sam Medysky et. al. riding for Airush? I think I saw him post on Instagram that they were doing a photoshoot at Rufus.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 19, 18 5:34 pm     Reply with quote

I think it could have been one of our brand reps.

I'll confirm and follow through with a discussion if it was.

Apologies ahead of time if it was a brand associated with our shop.

www.Purestokesports.com

kiterbiker

Since 12 Jun 2010
65 Posts

PostThu Jul 19, 18 6:50 pm    Not the first time Reply with quote

I've seen similar incidents happen at Rufus at other points in time as well. A few weeks ago, a company was out there apparently testing some gear. One rider did a kite loop over my wife while her kite was down and she was bringing it back up near the launch. Their lines nearly crossed, it spooked her, and was an easily avoidable situation by the advanced rider.

As someone who has had a lot of sponsorship from outdoor brands, one of the first things we were taught was to respect the sport, others in it, and be good ambassadors of both the sport and the brand. Why is it that the kite brands do not seem to be teaching their riders this? This should be the NUMBER ONE rule for anyone who is representing a brand on any level.

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jul 19, 18 7:47 pm     Reply with quote

Are you doods too lost in pee cee to call out
P O T I O N
C H O A D I O
?!?!?
I remember when this place had steez...

And by the way if you drive all the way to Rufus who gives a fook about watching pros for half an hour?
Sounds ok to me...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: