Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Heads Up On New LF Foil Board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Jun 18, 18 8:00 am    Heads Up On New LF Foil Board Reply with quote

Just a heads up if anyone is thinking of getting the new Liquid Force Galaxy foil board. Several dealer websites--including Real--list the board as 5.25 pounds. Too good to be true? I tried to verify this with Liquid Force but my phone calls were not returned. A phone call to Real verified that yes, if the website says 5.25 pounds then the board weighs 5.25 pounds. Anyways, the actual measured weight of the board without any hardware is 6.75 pounds. Real has offered to accept a return, but it seems like a great board and 6.75 pounds really is incredibly light. Just not as light as I was led to believe. I haven't ridden it yet, so I can't speak to how it actually is to ride.

This is a pretty good example of why you should always buy locally. Unfortunately, Second Wind had no expectation of receiving stock anytime soon. I should have waited.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostMon Jun 18, 18 9:48 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. I always am leary of knockin a brand's new item before I hear from others and verify that the issue is really across the board. But this one is obvious.

I would love to see LF revise their specs as a result of your post.

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Jun 18, 18 11:31 am     Reply with quote

Matt V wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. I always am leary of knockin a brand's new item before I hear from others and verify that the issue is really across the board. But this one is obvious.

I would love to see LF revise their specs as a result of your post.

I have read that board manufacturer posted weights are wildly inaccurate. Also, that you should weigh your new boards when you get them, so you know how much time you need to spend extracting water from your board after board damage on the water.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Jun 18, 18 3:55 pm     Reply with quote

To be fair to LF, they do not post a weight for the board other than to say it is very light. (Which it is.) The inaccurate weight was posted by several dealers. Anyways, 6.75 pounds really is pretty darn light for a 56" board with a volume of 20.2 Litres. I was just pumped up to get a big board with the swing weight of a much smaller board.

SalmonSlayer wrote:
...you should weigh your new boards when you get them, so you know how much time you need to spend extracting water from your board after board damage on the water.
Great idea!

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Jun 18, 18 4:08 pm     Reply with quote

One thing about the board, and I'll admit I have no idea if this is required structurally or not... Why does a new design foil board like this have a concave area with a centerline ridge right where the mast is going to attach? There can't be a flow reason, and it just makes it more of a pain in the ass to mount the mast. (You need a plastic plate between the mast and the board.) This makes no sense to me.

Hopefully in a few days I'll be on here raving about how great this board rides and none of the rest will matter... Very Happy

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostTue Jun 19, 18 7:02 am     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
......Why does a new design foil board like this have a concave area with a centerline ridge right where the mast is going to attach? There can't be a flow reason, and it just makes it more of a pain in the ass to mount the mast. (You need a plastic plate between the mast and the board.)....

The Liquid Force Foil Fish had this plastic plate too. I am pretty sure it was necessitated by the use of the an existing board with an already existing centerline ridge which was coupled with their initial offering of a foil. The use in testing and success in production board usage may have been correctly (or incorrectly) associated with a dampening effect for the forces at the top plate which act on the board attachment surface. To say that the short way, this plate is what some considered the reason for there being virtually no warranty issues with boards breaking at the attachment point.

Hard plastic like this can be good for absorbing a very small amount of force along with dampening some frequencies of vibration, much like wood. So a plastic plate may add to the durability of the connection and protect the board.

But if you want my opinion, I am guessing (I don't know for sure) that this plate is the same one that was originally used on the Foil Fish and LF just already had the supply chain (and mold) set up for a plate to go over a centerline ridge.

Is the concave deeper or the same as the original LF Foil Fish is made for? Is it the same plate?

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Jun 19, 18 10:17 pm     Reply with quote

Matt V wrote:

Is the concave deeper or the same as the original LF Foil Fish is made for? Is it the same plate?

Pretty close to the same concave at the mast as the Happy Foil blue board, and the same plate works fine. That's good because the Galaxy didn't come with a plate. Fortunately I have several lying around.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Jun 19, 18 10:55 pm     Reply with quote

I got a chance to ride today at Jones, and I have to say I really, really like this board. Bear in mind I'm a beginner and all I really have to compare it too is the 4'10" Happy Foil.

First off the weight is pretty light, even if it's not as light as some retailers advertise. (BTW, I called Real to let them know the actual weight is 6.75 pounds yesterday. As of tonight they are still advertising it as 5.25 pounds.) Anyways, this is the lightest large board with flotation level volume that I've seen--by a substantial margin.

The board really is great at popping off the water on touchdown. In fact it's so much better than my happy foil I was porpoising up until I got the hang of it. I'm used to having to use a fair amount of back foot pressure to keep the Happy Foil from pearling. You just don't need it with the Galaxy. That extra rear pressure just porpoises you up when the board pops up on it's own.

The board has a large amount of double concave through the front two thirds of the board. It seems to really track well. Very stable when on the water; I think it will be easier to swap feet when on the water than the happy foil.

The board seems to have less drag when touching down than the happy foil.

The concave deck feels great and seems to add to my ability to control roll while up on the foil.

Again, bear in mind that I'm a beginner. Also, I was on the injured list for a long time and have only been riding consistently again for about a month. I'm improving a little bit every session, and some of this may be attributed to I'm just riding a little bit better than my last session on the Happy Foil.

My only critiques are nit-picky. The board should come with the plastic shim plate for attaching the mast. I wish it was flat where the mast attaches. The board has inserts for two or three strap configuration. It would be nice if they made a three strap version and a two strap version. Why? The twelve extra inserts needed for the three strap setup have to weigh .25 to .5 pounds? I know that doesn't seem like a lot, but tape a half pound weight to the end of a yardstick and swing it back and forth. It definitely adds to the swing weight. Given that what sets this board apart is it's weight, I think it would be nice to have the option to lose the extra inserts. I realize that with the realities of the volume of sales involved and production concerns that it's probably unrealistic to have two models just for different insert setups. Like I said, all of my critiques are pretty minor.

All said and done this is a really nice board. The weight reduction is noticeable and welcome when carrying the foil. My whole rig fully assembled with straps--I know, I know--is just a bit over 14 pounds.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 20, 18 6:01 am    Welcome Back Nak ! Reply with quote

Nak ,

Its good to have you back , stoked to hear you caught the foiling bug.

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostMon Jun 25, 18 5:11 pm     Reply with quote

If anyone wants to try a Galaxy, let me know. I'll get you on one so you can try before buying.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jun 26, 18 7:45 am     Reply with quote

blancoh2o wrote:
If anyone wants to try a Galaxy, let me know. I'll get you on one so you can try before buying.

pm sent

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: