Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Lyle Community Council 6/5/18
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Cannon

Since 13 Sep 2010
72 Posts

PostMon Jun 04, 18 9:44 pm    Lyle Community Council 6/5/18 Reply with quote

Anyone planning on attending? I see there will be a report about sand bar access and a Q&A with County Commissioner Dave Sauter.
Was going to drive out from PDX if representation would be helpful and I also have an interest in the community in general.
Notice was on their FB page.
lc.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jun 05, 18 8:15 am     Reply with quote

Good catch Cannon.

I am attaching a picture of the FB page

lylemeeting.png 

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jun 05, 18 9:00 am     Reply with quote

Food for thought.

It should be noted that the focus of this meeting is a Lyle Community meeting, not a Lyle Access to the sandbar for kiteboarders meeting.

I think it might be helpful to represent kite boarders as good community members rather than simply focusing on access. I'm not sure that it would be overly helpful if the locals felt that "Hood River" was taking over their meeting.... I'm not saying don't show up (in fact please do), rather just be respectful... Just my opinion...

Any kiters that currently reside in Lyle might be very helpful.

Cannon

Since 13 Sep 2010
72 Posts

PostTue Jun 05, 18 11:43 am     Reply with quote

Exactly my thought. I will plan on attending and will report back.
I do have property in Lyle so not a total outsider.

MCD

Since 24 Feb 2014
42 Posts

PostWed Jun 06, 18 6:25 am    Lyle Community Council Meeting Reply with quote

I will be attending as a community member and President of the Dallesport Community Council. John's comments are exactly right.

treitz

Since 07 Jun 2016
78 Posts
Hood River

PostThu Jun 07, 18 8:00 am     Reply with quote

Any updates? Curious how things went at the meeting.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Jun 07, 18 8:10 am     Reply with quote

We found out there were larger challenges to this project than were originally understood.

Apparently there are considerable tribal concerns regarding expanded recreational use which I think may be the primary barrier.

There is also a very large cost hurdle to the tune of about $8 million.

treitz

Since 07 Jun 2016
78 Posts
Hood River

PostThu Jun 07, 18 8:12 am     Reply with quote

Bummer. Thanks for the update.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 07, 18 10:10 am     Reply with quote

So would those at the meeting say it's definitive that Lyle will stay as-is for the foreseeable future with the only legal access via the water?

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Jun 07, 18 10:53 am     Reply with quote

I didn't get the feeling that anything was definitive.

Rather, re-prioritized.

Klickitat County is still keeping it on their list for financial priorities.

There was some discussion suggesting that if public interest was strong enough it might be re-prioritized to a higher priority. It was also kind of inferred that public interest meant "locals"...

Perhaps if the Lyle Community Council spearheaded an interest group we kiters could provide support...

Cannon

Since 13 Sep 2010
72 Posts

PostThu Jun 07, 18 12:26 pm     Reply with quote

This will be a long process. Commissioner Sauter has done a good job identifying the players involved. The next step is for someone to push the conversation via a shared interest which is legally accessing the sand bar to do what they like to do. This conversation can easily slip into kiteboarders vs All since we are now the latest users and clearly the most visible. The community council could be a good forum to move this forward. Listening to the rest of the meeting there are certainly many needs for the community, basic internet service for one. I think a formal connection with the CGKA and the commissioner’s Office would also be good to establish to ensure regular communication.
As a community, we need to police ourselves when using, specifically NOT kiting on the east end of the bar in the Klickitat river. Please actively educate and discourage this practice as the tribes do not like it nor do the fishermen. There is plenty of room on the west end.
A shorter term solution and more viable will be to push for an updated boat ramp while we work on the above. Having a workable boat ramp will at least allow a relatively easy access should the current access somehow change.
Next time you are out there, be courteous and drive into town and buy some wine, snacks or food at the restaurants and let them know you are there spending money because of the kiting. Thanks.

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Jun 07, 18 12:55 pm     Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:
We found out there were larger challenges to this project than were originally understood.

Apparently there are considerable tribal concerns regarding expanded recreational use which I think may be the primary barrier.

There is also a very large cost hurdle to the tune of about $8 million.

The tribal and fisherman concerns as well as RR right of way issues were already known.

What was not originally understood and why $8m to cure?

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jun 07, 18 1:11 pm     Reply with quote

Very wells stated Cannon!!

The better we manage ourselves and earn the respect of the local residents, the more "in" we are when/if any positive changes occur with access and park development.

Cannon wrote:

As a community, we need to police ourselves when using, specifically NOT kiting on the east end of the bar in the Klickitat river. Please actively educate and discourage this practice as the tribes do not like it nor do the fishermen. There is plenty of room on the west end.

Next time you are out there, be courteous and drive into town and buy some wine, snacks or food at the restaurants and let them know you are there spending money because of the kiting. Thanks.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Jun 07, 18 2:05 pm     Reply with quote

The price of the project was increased dramatically because the requirement for ADA access. Getting a wheelchair down there is a huge challenge and expense to the entire project. It is required when the State and Federal government get involved.

Cannon

Since 13 Sep 2010
72 Posts

PostThu Jun 07, 18 2:15 pm     Reply with quote

The RR at this time is not allowing an at grade crossing nor are they allowing any connection to their bridge to build a cat walk under the tracks. That initially just leaves over the tracks or under. Washdot says anything over or under also has to go over/under Hwy 14. Over is not an option because it would be huge to accommodate all users (ADA) and not compatible with the Scenic Act. That leaves tunneling under. A preliminary estimate, $8m. Again it will take time to come to a more sensible solution but that’s where we are. They didn’t have detailed numbers and they are going to try and share based on the studies done after last year’s meeting. That seems to be all that’s happened in the last year.

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jun 07, 18 6:01 pm     Reply with quote

$8 million could buy both a nice shuttle boat and cable park. Done!

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 07, 18 6:26 pm    lyle Reply with quote

8 million would buy everyone a jet ski

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: