Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Apple iWatch 3 with Cell for kiteboarding/foiling?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tgautier

Since 22 Oct 2016
48 Posts

PostMon Jun 04, 18 6:15 pm     Reply with quote

user124 wrote:

I like the Sport Loop - basically a velcro strap but it's pretty secure. I agree with others the sport band with the pin is not secure enough for kiting.

Yep. That’s what I went with. Only one session with it so far but I feel much better about it than the band.

tgautier

Since 22 Oct 2016
48 Posts

PostMon Jun 04, 18 6:18 pm     Reply with quote

ay wrote:
tgautier, what mode generates that track on Strava?

On Strava you turn on a session by selecting one of Run, Ride or Walk. In reality they all record the same data, and after the session is recorded you can edit the session to select the more accurate sport (such as snowboard or kite session).

The only reason for selecting a different session type to start with is that it affects what is displayed on the watch during the session. In particular, speed is shown for the cycling mode while pace is shown for run.

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostMon Jun 04, 18 8:24 pm     Reply with quote

tgautier wrote:
ay wrote:
tgautier, what mode generates that track on Strava?

On Strava you turn on a session by selecting one of Run, Ride or Walk. In reality they all record the same data, and after the session is recorded you can edit the session to select the more accurate sport (such as snowboard or kite session).

The only reason for selecting a different session type to start with is that it affects what is displayed on the watch during the session. In particular, speed is shown for the cycling mode while pace is shown for run.

Right on, thanks.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 04, 18 8:44 pm     Reply with quote

Sooooo, had my aluminum iwatch 3 with gps and data in the Apple basket. Low and behold, one must have an iphone 6, or newer to use iwatch. I am still rocking my trusty iphone 5s....

Bummer--sort of.

Eric

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 05, 18 7:07 am     Reply with quote

Get a waterproof case for your phone and use Strava.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 05, 18 7:09 am     Reply with quote

But then I don't get the Dick Tracy steeze...!

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue Jun 05, 18 9:16 am     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
Sooooo, had my aluminum iwatch 3 with gps and data in the Apple basket. Low and behold, one must have an iphone 6, or newer to use iwatch. I am still rocking my trusty iphone 5s....

According to apple.com iPhone 5s should be ok to setup Apple Watch: https://www.apple.com/watchos (see bottom of the page).

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 05, 18 9:28 am     Reply with quote

I called last night. Tech said 6 is minimum for GPS and Cellular

<<Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) requires an iPhone 6 or later with iOS 11 or later.>>

Vs

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) requires an iPhone 5s or later with iOS 11 or later. Apple Watch Series 1 requires an iPhone 5s or later with iOS 11 or later.>>

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue Jun 05, 18 9:38 am     Reply with quote

Good catch - yes i see the small print now on their store page. Looks like I'm still in luck with my old iPhone 6.

GorgeKite.com

Since 17 Mar 2008
225 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostSat Jun 16, 18 11:48 am     Reply with quote

Love the Apple Watch series 3 for watersports (and runs/hikes/bike rides etc where you might need to call in case of an emergency). Can listen to tunes wirelessly and have a phone for emergencies without having to carry a regular sized phone.

Side note that I did not know before I bought it - you MUST have your cellphone powered on for calls/texts to work - somewhere, ANYWHERE. I did not understand that and they don't really explain it well until you dig deep to figure out why your calls and texts aren't going through. Tracking services still work but calls and texts are mirrored through your phone.

Looking forward to the updates that will bring Audible and Podcast streaming to the watch independent of your phone. Right now I have to use an app hack to store podcasts and there is no reasonable workaround for Audible.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 18, 18 9:15 pm     Reply with quote

tgautier, there are two Garmin ConnectIQ apps for kitesurfing that will set the activity type properly; I've been helping out their devs with feedback. I bought a Vivoactive 3 to complement my Vivoactive for tracking sessions because it (supposedly) has better height accuracy with the pressure-based altimeter, but the Fenix 5 seems to be a much more reliable platform (comparing to my friend's experiences). I've wanted to develop my own kiting app but lack time, sadly.

I'm also seeking technical contacts at Strava - they could display max jump height, hang time, and number of jumps, with the right data. One of the apps tries to track that, and you can put custom fields into a FIT file, so the problem seems fairly easy to solve (sorry Woo).

tkaraszewski

Since 21 Oct 2016
41 Posts
Hood River

PostTue Jun 19, 18 4:52 pm     Reply with quote

shred_da_gorge wrote:
there are two Garmin ConnectIQ apps for kitesurfing that will set the activity type properly

What are these called? Will they work on my Vivoactive HR?

MF

Since 02 Jun 2006
69 Posts

PostWed Jun 20, 18 11:24 am    Iphone - costco Reply with quote

Costco has Apple watch 3 for $35 off. Just picked up one with only GPS for $309

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jun 21, 18 8:26 pm     Reply with quote

Well the iwatch has already saved one kiters life down the Bay area. Just google "iwatch saves Kiter" for all the press.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jun 24, 18 6:10 pm     Reply with quote

tkaraszewski wrote:
shred_da_gorge wrote:
there are two Garmin ConnectIQ apps for kitesurfing that will set the activity type properly

What are these called? Will they work on my Vivoactive HR?

KiteTracker is one of them (by a Dutch guy), and Kitesurf (by a Russian guy). I believe there are two versions they created and one should support your Vivo HR. I haven't tried the second one because apparently the fonts are different between the Vivo3 and Fenix5 240x240 screens... Garmin is getting more frustrating over time. The first one is a bit cryptic to use - make sure you read the manual. I've sent him plenty of feedback but we seem to see things differently. (I did send him the code to set the activity type to kitesurfing).

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jun 24, 18 6:13 pm     Reply with quote

A.K. wrote:
Well the iwatch has already saved one kiters life down the Bay area. Just google "iwatch saves Kiter" for all the press.

Ventura, not bay area. There are lots of Apple employees who kite in the bay area, though.

tgautier

Since 22 Oct 2016
48 Posts

PostTue Jul 17, 18 9:26 pm     Reply with quote

In case anyone cares I’m following up on this thread because today I almost lost my watch. I have been using the Apple Sport Loop under my wetsuit with no issues. But yesterday and today I switched to board shorts and short sleeve rash guard.

I had a particularly strong crash today and the band popped open so simple answer is:

DO NOT USE THE SPORT LOOP FOR KITEBOARDING.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: