Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Board repair in HR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Jun 04, 18 8:56 am    Board repair in HR Reply with quote

Does anyone know a good board repair shop/person in HR? I have the tendency to end my session by riding up to the sand and after couple seasons my twin tip needs a layer or two of new epoxy/laminate along the heel edge.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 04, 18 9:03 am     Reply with quote

Gary Swanson Cascade Sailboards. I think he is in Husom now

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostMon Jun 04, 18 11:27 am     Reply with quote

Honestly, that is likely not repairable, as that layer you are grinding off is not a glass laminate. It is likely an ASA or PBT plastic thermal laminate material.
www.Purestokesports.com

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Jun 04, 18 12:35 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks Pepi - yeah that's possible - in worst case i just won't feel as bad riding it now, the board had a good run so it may be time to retire it and get a new one!

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Jun 04, 18 4:15 pm     Reply with quote

Pepi wrote:
Honestly, that is likely not repairable, as that layer you are grinding off is not a glass laminate. It is likely an ASA or PBT plastic thermal laminate material.

I am not familiar with repairing these materials. Is there a way to build up the bottom or repair a scratch as you do when using Ptex on skis?

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 04, 18 6:12 pm     Reply with quote

Depending on the placement of the bolt inserts, you may be able to flip the board around and use the original toeside as your new heel side

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Jun 04, 18 8:08 pm     Reply with quote

For reference this is how the damage looks like at the worst spot (middle of the tail edge) - Slingy Vision board
It does look like glass laminate - so i have my hopes for now.

IMG_2628.jpg 

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostTue Jun 05, 18 6:07 am     Reply with quote

From the pics, it looks like you still have some glass over the plastic/poly edge. Given the low value of the board (not like you could get much for it), I would not worry about a pro repair. Even if you find some way to mess up this repair yourself, you could just find the same board used for $200 in slightly better shape than yours. The crack looks so bad that I almost would say it would not be repairable by even a pro - at least not to saleable condition.

If it was me, I would tape it off at the paint line/edge, and just put epoxy over it. Then you will need to sand a bit after cure with the tape on, then a bit with the tape off with a fine grit like 600.

Plan A - The most I would have to do with a pro board repair shop is to get a small kit of epoxy from them for this. West System 105 would be fine and you could use a bit of filler, but make sure it still flows when mixed.

Plan B - For someone with OCD, you could wet with epoxy with no filler first, then wipe it almost all off (except what fills the glass strands still on the board, then top with the same batch of epoxy made fairly stiff with high density (West System 404) or my favorite, 1/32 milled fibers + a bit of high density.

Milled fibers are the only additive I have found that actually does increase abrasion resistance.

Not to poke fun at you, but how did this board get worn like this? Running shallow? Edging on sliders?

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 05, 18 6:48 am     Reply with quote

My old 1st Gen Glide was like your board for half a season. It then snapped on a beach in Mexico after a gentle boost, I hired a fisherman and his 2 y.o. boy to fix it (image), snapped again the next morning. I was so frustrated I stuffed it into a dumpster.
2 years later I'm out on the bay shredding with my new $400 shiny board... I look over at my Mexican amigo boosting big on what looks like a Glide?
He had grabbed it out of the trash and repaired it. 9 years later it's his only board Smile

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue Jun 05, 18 7:29 am     Reply with quote

Matt V wrote:
Not to poke fun at you, but how did this board get worn like this? Running shallow? Edging on sliders?

Like i mentioned in the beginning I like to end my session on the sand (with semi-dri feet Very Happy) and since I ride finless or with wake fins i often end the session riding sideways onto the beach. Then there were couple rocks i hit in the shallows and an occasional slider.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue Jun 05, 18 9:49 am     Reply with quote

I think I'll combine the suggestions from MattV and Stringy and end up putting some epoxy on the crack and sand it while at the same time rotating the straps to make old toe edge the new heel edge.

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostWed Jun 06, 18 9:31 am     Reply with quote

First off, Gary Swanson is the man for any and/or all repairs on any type of watercraft. Secondly, he is the man for any custom board for any and or all watercraft! If you’re buying production shiz, you are kiting, windsurfing or surfing within self-imposed limits.....

That aside, No offense intended Pepi, but you are incorrect: it is a repairable board. Stringy, not many twin tips are set up with the option to flip around as you suggest but maybe this board is; and if so, it would be a great, easy solution to the issue; kudos for sharing that insight, it never occurs to most.

Matt V’s plan B is the proper way to repair this board: milled fibers plus filler after wetting it out w epoxy and filling voids, toothpaste consistency and squegee off excess, it will be difficult to sand...no need for a layer of fiberglass.

Voy-tech, that’s exactly how all my twin tips end up looking like....there is really no issue until there is no more glass holding the ABS rails in place...keep sliding the sand! As Matt mentioned, those wood core boards are a dime a dozen, you could always pick another one up for cheap or you could upgrade to a twin tip with a hi density foam core😉... good luck and happy kiting!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: