Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT: Onewheel
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Speedo

Since 07 May 2007
262 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed May 23, 18 10:19 am    OT: Onewheel Reply with quote

I don't get to kite as much as I'd like.

was thinking about getting one of these Onewheels. They're spendy though. People who have them seem stoked on them. Saw one in La ventana scoot by as I was walking to a restaurant.

https://onewheel.com/

was wondering if anyone here has and loves theirs. I figure if you like kiting and the onewheel, then I would too!

Thanks,
Ken

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 23, 18 11:37 am     Reply with quote

Super fun, and OK foil practice. But warning: My good friend was laid up for months post one-wheel. Look at the "One Wheel Crash" FB group for some pucker. I don't have one but I really had a blast riding one spotty for 2-3 days.... and then I didn't.
I carved a sharp fun carve and then noticed a shiny new parked car in my path. Never ever get off this thing back-foot first.

Speedo

Since 07 May 2007
262 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed May 23, 18 3:02 pm     Reply with quote

thanks for the input Kip. So did you have a bad crash? and it seems like that experience put you off of the one wheel?

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed May 23, 18 3:07 pm     Reply with quote

Onewheels are a blast. Within 30mins you will be up ripping around with a big smile on your face. Its a super cool feeling when you start carving around on it, riding dirt and doing small drop downs.

The one thing I would say is get used to everyone and their dog staring at you Smile

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed May 23, 18 3:09 pm     Reply with quote

also look at the electric skateboards. I have an onboard and love it.

Speedo

Since 07 May 2007
262 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed May 23, 18 4:18 pm     Reply with quote

thanks for the input jerp. I honestly hadnt seriously considered a powered skateboard. Which would you get if you could only pick one? I do enjoy riding around on a regular skateboard. But I can't do any tricks and quite happy to simply ride (i dont want to hurt myself doing something I dont care that much about) after my 5 year old on his bike.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu May 24, 18 7:47 am     Reply with quote

Speedo wrote:
thanks for the input jerp. I honestly hadnt seriously considered a powered skateboard. Which would you get if you could only pick one? I do enjoy riding around on a regular skateboard. But I can't do any tricks and quite happy to simply ride (i dont want to hurt myself doing something I dont care that much about) after my 5 year old on his bike.

Honestly both are so different and bring different aspects of fun. which one to get? That is a tough call and entirely depends on you. To be clear I do not own a onewheel, my buddy has a spare (for his kid) so I have used it a bunch even borrowing it for entire weeks.

I like the onboard as it’s a sleeper because of the motors being in the wheels, it has a interchangeable battery so when I bring a spare battery i can get 12 miles range. Its fast and super fun to carve around both going downhill and uphill. I have taken it on the HR top mosier road and it was so much fun even with the pine cones everywhere. It is a skateboard thou so you really need decent tarmac to ride it. The new torque settings that you can download give the board so much more grunt going uphill which used to my biggest beef.

The onewheel is not as fast but you can ride that sucker on almost anything. I feel like there is more skill involved to ride the onewheel which for me is a huge plus.

If I had to choose I would guess I would get a onewheel because of the skill level needed, the versatility and that surfy feeling you get when ridding it. That’s not to take anything from the skateboard which I love in its own right.

I live in the Tigard area. You are more than welcome to try out the skateboard !! drop me a PM.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu May 24, 18 9:11 am     Reply with quote

They are pricey but I would go with the Evolve GTX all terrain if I ever sold my motorcycle:

http://www.mackiteboarding.com/evolve-gtx-bamboo-all-terrain-series-electric-skateboard/

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostThu May 24, 18 10:52 am     Reply with quote

I was kind of forced into trying the One Wheel by the guy who has been kiting the longest here at my local in Nebraska. I had no real interest in them, but this guy ponied up and sprung for some. He bought the "Trotter" knockoff first, and then 2 One Wheel's - with the 3rd one on order as it is the latest version on pre-order.

So he made me borrow the "Trotter" and I did have fun learning it.

Pro's of the this type of ride:

1. Ankle strength goes through the roof. I do not know of any other way to get this kind of ankle workout with anything else.
2. Slow speed and switch stance riding is really challenging. I think these two things really translate to almost all upright kiting disciplines.
3. Fun to ride and progress, just like kiting, though the power just does not really hit the level of kiting.

Cons:

1. Definitely progressively dangerous. Not as high a price to pay as in kiting, but still pretty scary what you can do to yourself. I started out just over working some old ankle injuries and had to take a few days of rest. To avoid this, don't try to learn to ride the thing in one day and take lots of breaks. And I mean progressive because as you get better, you also start to push it and take more risks.
2. Frickin heavy! I would never want to take the "Trotter" for a walk if I ran out of battery on a long ride. I actually would prefer to carry kite gear (board and a rolled up kite up the beach).
3. I don't like being reliant on a battery. If the battery is done, so is your ride. You cannot ride the thing without power.

And as far as the "Trotter" - it is harder to learn than the One Wheel. Definitely spring for the One Wheel over the Trotter.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostThu May 24, 18 5:05 pm     Reply with quote

I have two OW's. They are sweet I just put a new Hoosier wheel on one and it's even better.

The FB GROUP is hilarious. Those guys have no board skills. It pretty funny. I ride in shorts, bare feet and no helmet with no crashes. You just can't be an idiot on the board.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostThu May 24, 18 6:33 pm     Reply with quote

built this in 2005
photo taken 2008

I remember seeing the One-Wheel for the first time and thinking: Cool but they got it sort of wrong with the stability part by putting the platform above the axle. Guess that's playing out with some of the crashes and injuries.

Sadly, I sold the prototype at a garage sale. But still have the design if another company would like to license it. Pretty sure we could beat whatever patent they might have.

FKO

Since 04 May 2011
42 Posts
Spokane Wa.

PostFri May 25, 18 8:43 am    onewheel Reply with quote

I am 70 with 2 fake hips, ride my onewheel everyday. Mostly in gravel as we live in the woods. Great for maintaning balance for foiling. Just watch speed and crashes are not too bad. Nice break in the day, kinda puts your head in the Kiting Zone

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri May 25, 18 10:40 am    Re: onewheel Reply with quote

FKO wrote:
I am 70 with 2 fake hips, ride my onewheel everyday. Mostly in gravel as we live in the woods. Great for maintaning balance for foiling. Just watch speed and crashes are not too bad. Nice break in the day, kinda puts your head in the Kiting Zone

Thumb's Up

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostSat May 26, 18 6:33 am     Reply with quote

rode rick's onewheel on friday at the event site. looks like I'm going to have to get one now. super fun on the grass. would be fun to try it on the beach at the north coast waiting for the wind to come in

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostSat May 26, 18 4:46 pm     Reply with quote

stringy wrote:
rode rick's onewheel on friday at the event site. looks like I'm going to have to get one now. super fun on the grass. would be fun to try it on the beach at the north coast waiting for the wind to come in

Piggyback for Shuttle runs!

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostSun May 27, 18 1:01 pm     Reply with quote

I have a v1 ow , 70 miles on it I'd sell
Let me know if anyone is interested.

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 04, 18 6:44 am     Reply with quote

Speedo wrote:
I don't get to kite as much as I'd like.

was thinking about getting one of these Onewheels. ...

was wondering if anyone here has and loves theirs. I figure if you like kiting and the onewheel, then I would too!

Thanks,
Ken

I got a used OW+ recently and am now in the market for a 2nd so my kid can ride with me. They are an absolute blast, and like you said, I just don't get to the water as much as I used to. These scratch the itch. I find myself squeaking out a "session" at lunch, after work, running errands with it... whatever.

It really is that same carving feeling as snowboarding and kiting in slicks (or foiling I'm told, but I don't foil).

As a kiter you will pick it up very quickly.

I had been interested in the electric skateboards for a long time, but I don't skate and just couldn't find a good justification for them. The OW is pretty much all weather and all terrain. When I started reading that, I went and demo'd one. Bought one the next day.

Regarding wrecks - I'm still new to it (put 110 miles on mine) but like kitemare stores, every one I have read about has been user error. Folks pushing past the board's speed limits, riding with a dead battery, pretty much ignoring the feedback the board will give you. At least I hope that's the case. Seems if you limit your speed to 15mph (it'll go over 20) you're in good shape.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: