Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Lost gear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostSun Jun 03, 18 7:07 pm    Lost gear Reply with quote

The black hole of lost gear. Things have changed in the kiting world. You now have a 50/50 chance of getting lost gear back.
My friend left a bag and bar at the event site he never got them back.
I know a another person who dropped a bar at lyle and never got it back.
What gives?
I left a slingshot bag at the event site last weekend. The port does not have it. Windance doesn't have nor does Big Winds.
I think people are keeping gear they find. As kiting grows more people of different economic back grounds become kiters. Some can't afford to kite but do anyway.
I would never keep gear I find. But others may not feel the same. Rant over.

windfun7

Since 23 Aug 2015
40 Posts

PostSun Jun 03, 18 8:31 pm     Reply with quote

You are right it doesnt help that there are regulars that go around snatching up stuff people leave behind. If you leave something behind don't plan on seeing it again. The last 5 times I left gear behind it wasn't turned in.
I now make a list of gear to load and then check it before I leave the site.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 04, 18 6:15 am    Name & Number Reply with quote

Make sure your name and number is written on your gear. If i see something laying around at the end of the day I will call.

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Jun 04, 18 6:52 am     Reply with quote

Last year I dropped my GPS watch while walking out to the sand bar. At the end of my session I went to the parking lot host and it had been turned in. Gear gets turned in often.

Kiteboarders come in all stripes. I dont think the ability to afford to kiteboard is a good forecaster of a persons willingness to find and keep gear. For me, the bottom line is if I lose something, it is my fault and I dont expect it back. If it does come back, I consider myself lucky. I am confident that the odds of my possessions being turned in at the ES are far greater than almost anywhere else. The world is not perfect. Stop leaving your gear around if you want to keep it.

Last edited by SalmonSlayer on Mon Jun 04, 18 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostMon Jun 04, 18 7:26 am    Re: Name & Number Reply with quote

Jonpnw wrote:
Make sure your name and number is written on your gear. If i see something laying around at the end of the day I will call.

Please do this and make it easy for me to get it back to you. I am one of those people that will not keep something I find without going through lots of trouble to get it back to it's owner. I simply don't want something that is not mine.

If you put your name and number on it, you can save me time and money getting your stuff back to you.

On a side note, name and number on your kite and board is a safety issue. If you lose something, others may think you are lost. If they can call the number on your gear and find out you are ok, you can save rescue personnel the resources and time better devoted to an actual rescue.

windfun7

Since 23 Aug 2015
40 Posts

PostMon Jun 04, 18 11:49 am     Reply with quote

Most kiters (and other sportsmen) will do their best to return equipment to its owners. With other people especially at state parks and during off season its often finders keepers.
Then there are the people that cruise popular spots intentionally looking to profit. I caught a couple as they were loading my gear into their car at the hatchery and then saw them cruising the ES the next week.
The once I lost something at the ES I was advised to check the ES bathroom message board, ES host, Port of Hood River, Kite Schools, Windance, Big Winds, Second Wind Sports, and HRPD.

At the time I didn't know that http://nwkite.com/forums/f-6.html existed where honest citizens step up.
(By the way rjmonta is still looking for his Naish Motion twintip -$50 reward!)

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 04, 18 12:59 pm     Reply with quote

I’ve had three lost boards returned to me. I’ve yet to have a board go awol in the current and not make it home.

And that’s not including the countless times someone has stopped my board from escaping or dropped it downwind where it’s easy to catch.

I write my name and number and “return for reward” on the gear and keep it fresh and legible.

And I really dig my goofy ass, Go Joe inflatable thing. Makes it easy to spot, and sails that twin tip downwind.

I’m happy to kick in a case of cold beer, or some cash for non drinkers.

Most folks are great about returning stuff. Make it easy for them to do the right thing.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Jun 04, 18 1:30 pm    Sharpie your Sh*t Reply with quote

windfun7 wrote:
Most kiters (and other sportsmen) will do their best to return equipment to its owners.

MAKE IT EASY upon the person who finds your lost gear, put your name and contact info on your sh*t; maybe in various spots upon the piece of gear. Make sure to refresh it multiple times per year and at the very least once a season. Sharpie markings fade from wear and tear; mostly from the sun exposure.

There are all types of people out there in this world, but I think most are good and try and return gear to its rightful owner.

Out at Sauvies Island (SI) about 10 days ago, a boater stopped by the kite beach area and told the story of his fellow boating friend finding a foil board. Listening to the guy trying to describe the board and foil was hilarious. Anyways, he took the time out of his day to travel 20 miles (round trip as he lives on a house boat in Multnomah Channel on SI) to find the owner.

Fortunately other kiters knew who the board belonged to and #'s were exchanged. The kiter who lost his foil was seasoned and he still didn't put his name and # upon the board (dumb@ass. . .). Fortunately for him he got his board back.

Make sure to pay back the efforts of someone who found your lost gear and returned it. Most people love beer.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Jun 04, 18 7:41 pm     Reply with quote

SalmonSlayer wrote:
I dont think the ability to afford to kiteboard is a good forecaster of a persons willingness to find and keep gear.

This * 1000. The most dishonest people I have met in my life have also been the richest.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 05, 18 11:31 am    lost gear Reply with quote

Ok I will just keep thinking people suck and dogs are awesome. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: