Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Event Site Parking Security Issues - just a precaution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue May 29, 18 10:32 pm    Event Site Parking Security Issues - just a precaution Reply with quote

Not trying to alarm anybody out there, but....

Similar to many parking lots in any other part of the country, locking your car and securing your gear might be a good idea to practice, daytime, evening, or anytime.

We just got a notice from a local that had two bikes stolen out of the back of his truck at the Event Site. From what we know, they stopped one of the thieves and the other bike was eventually found.

It sucks to have to say it, but take care to keep your gear and vehicles secure this spring and summer at the Event Site please.
Putting your name and phone number on your gear is also an extra wise thing to remember to do as well.

Last year, there were some thefts of boards, etc... but even worse was a kayak and a jetski stolen from two of the kite schools.

Let's all try to keep an eye out for each other out there.

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed May 30, 18 9:30 am     Reply with quote

I typically leave my car unlocked with the sunroof open too. It sucks, but it just takes one thief in a thousand honest people to ruin that feeling of trust. Stashing a key is better than leaving my car unlocked, but all it takes is someone watching me stash the key to foil that approach. I could carry a key with me, but eventually I will lose it for some reason before, during or after a session.

Does anyone have experience with the combo locks that insert into a receiver hitch? Brand recommendations? I like this choice, because others can access my car if we are doing down winders and they need to get their gear or drive my car for some reason like picking me up walking down a highway.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed May 30, 18 9:43 am     Reply with quote

I love mine. Got it off Amazon.

Clean and lube it once in a while.

Beats leaving your keys on a tire. Or in a kite bag on the beach, just because bags get mixed up once in a while.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed May 30, 18 9:49 am     Reply with quote

Been using the Hitch Safe for the last 10 plus years. Works great. Take out if you go thru a car wash as eventually the chemicals will remove your numbers.... which sucks. lol

https://www.amazon.com/HitchSafe-HS7000T-HS7000-Key-Vault/dp/B000I66JEM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1527702461&sr=8-3&keywords=hitch+safe

www.naishkites.com

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed May 30, 18 10:02 am     Reply with quote

thx for the info. I ordered one. I use a car wash often, so it is also good to know about the numbers coming off.

jasonq

Since 12 Jan 2009
242 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostWed May 30, 18 1:12 pm     Reply with quote

for those of us that don't have hitches, a simple key lock box works great. Just cut a piece of plastic or plywood and mount it beneath the license plate and mount the key lock box to that. I also recommend getting the cover for winter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GTQU22/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Kidde-AccessPoint-001375-Permanent-Slimline/dp/B0049P1OS4/ref=pd_bxgy_60_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0049P1OS4&pd_rd_r=FYYZN665R8YBWWVX68YN&pd_rd_w=gyMmB&pd_rd_wg=awx4t&psc=1&refRID=FYYZN665R8YBWWVX68YN

only problem is some of the newer car keys with big fobs as part of the key don't fit the 2 key version. not sure about the 5 key version. might be a problem for my next car.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 30, 18 1:25 pm     Reply with quote

hitch safe is great but the numbers are so small i can't read them without my reading glasses!
Shocked

D

Since 18 Apr 2015
56 Posts
Hood River

CGKA Member

PostThu May 31, 18 8:31 pm     Reply with quote

Here's what I saw a lot of people using in Maui. They were hanging it from anything from a suspension spring to the chain loops on their trailer hitches.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-Combination-Portable-5400D/dp/B0002YP1VC/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1527827295&sr=1-1&keywords=lockbox+for+keys

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostThu May 31, 18 9:50 pm     Reply with quote

To add to this discussion......

If you are one of the last people to leave at the end of the day and see some gear there, take it to the host at the SE corner of the parking lot.

It would suck to get home and realize you forgot some of your gear and never see it again.

To reiterate the CGKA post, put your name and number on it as well.

It is easy to leave parts of your gear behind. If someone finds it and calls you, be thankful, offer them a beer or some Local Grind. I have heard stories of nice people calling people who left their gear only to get an earful from the forgetful person accusing the kind soul who found it of stealing their equipment. I was amazed to hear this! Who steals gear, then calls the person and says they have it?

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jun 01, 18 7:07 am     Reply with quote

another option is if you use a rocket box, you can put your expensive non waterproof key fob in it and lock it in the box, then put your cheap rocketbox key in your wetsuit key pouch. I used to do this before the keyless entry was an option and before I had a hitch mount on my car.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri Jun 01, 18 1:46 pm     Reply with quote

blancoh2o wrote:

It is easy to leave parts of your gear behind. If someone finds it and calls you, be thankful, offer them a beer or some Local Grind. I have heard stories of nice people calling people who left their gear only to get an earful from the forgetful person accusing the kind soul who found it of stealing their equipment. I was amazed to hear this! Who steals gear, then calls the person and says they have it?

I think you may have heard this from me.
Very funny to look back upon, but was kinda surreal in the moment.
That weekend, my daughter and I were finishing eating at The Grind and stopped to help Jon and Carol (Event Site Hosts) round up abandoned gear before the sprinklers turned on. We counted around 7-9 kites, 3-4 boards, 2 windsurf rigs, 5-6 harnesses/vests and a big box full of parts.
it took Joe two runs in his truck to move the gear to the Port lost and found dept.

www.Purestokesports.com

jiberus

PostFri Jun 01, 18 2:53 pm     Reply with quote

Pepi wrote:
blancoh2o wrote:

I think you may have heard this from me.
Very funny to look back upon, but was kinda surreal in the moment.
That weekend, my daughter and I were finishing eating at The Grind and stopped to help Jon and Carol (Event Site Hosts) round up abandoned gear before the sprinklers turned on. We counted around 7-9 kites, 3-4 boards, 2 windsurf rigs, 5-6 harnesses/vests and a big box full of parts.
it took Joe two runs in his truck to move the gear to the Port lost and found dept.

All that stuff is mine. Where can I pick it up? Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: