Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

kiteline length

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
CM

Since 06 Oct 2015
60 Posts

PostTue May 22, 18 12:27 pm    kiteline length Reply with quote

I have a new SS Rally 9m and 10m. SS wind chart says 20m lines for 175lb rider for theses kites. I'm about 210 (w/o suit,harness.etc) My SS bar has 23 M lines,showing some wear and tear. If I replace lines_does weight factor-in? Stay with 23m or switch to 20m? The bar is only for these 2 kites. Thanx

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue May 22, 18 12:38 pm     Reply with quote

For those sizes i would stay with 23m, unless you do a lot of quick loops than 20m lines may work a little better but you'll loose a little bit of low end on both kites. Rider weight doesn't really factor into line length as far as i know.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostTue May 22, 18 12:45 pm     Reply with quote

Heavier riders need more of a lift to get going so a longer throw across the window can help when underpowered, so longer lines can help. 23m seems perfect for those sizes unless you want to ride waves underpowered and want a quick tight turn.
What is the bar length as that can change things a bit as well? On a 9-10m kite I would ride 20” bar 23m lines at your weight but try and borrow shorter lines and give it a try yourself. Lots of Slingy folks out there happy to help.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostTue May 22, 18 12:48 pm     Reply with quote

Not a drastic change so I would run your 23's. The extra length will give you a little extra throw to pop you up on the water, or if the wind starts shutting down and you need the extra pow to get you back to shore. Your kite reaction time will diminish slightly but those Rally's have big ranges so the extra length will give you better loft/soar time. Enjoy.

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostTue May 22, 18 9:25 pm     Reply with quote

Check the website, it indicates 20" bar and not 20m lines. Standard size bar for 9m and 10m Rallys is 20" x 23m.

Confused

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed May 23, 18 8:20 am     Reply with quote

I’d definitely go 20”/23m lines. My preference for my 8m Wave is also the 20”/23m lines and I’m 175#.

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostThu May 24, 18 9:05 am    Lines Reply with quote

I am also a larger guy at 210 - and I prefer 20m lines.

I'd suggest modifying the lines to 20 plus 2 or 3 - then just see what you like to ride.

It is easy to change - pm me if you need some tips.

KOF

Since 30 Mar 2011
51 Posts
Seattle

PostSat May 26, 18 9:32 pm     Reply with quote

Kevin Langeree twice won the KOTA on 27m lines. Those longer lines will allow you to boost bigger as it will generate more lift whilst traveling further through the wind window.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: