Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Calling all Hydrologists and Sedimentoligists
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon May 21, 18 5:20 pm    Calling all Hydrologists and Sedimentoligists Reply with quote

I'm pretty worried about our local bars(sand)! With unprecedented river heights and max flowage, I'm concerned about what will be left come July. I read in the HR paper today they expect record river heights until July. I kited over to the Wunderbar and tried to stand in various places today that we launch from and I was underwater or chest high. My question: is this good for bar formation or detrimental?

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostMon May 21, 18 6:03 pm    Pray for no wind Reply with quote

Hopefully there is no Hood River wind next weekend because with the Holiday and one launch it will be Kite Zoo !

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostMon May 21, 18 7:03 pm    Locals only Reply with quote

Yeah maybe a locals only launch were you show your property tax statement. Twisted Evil

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostMon May 21, 18 9:34 pm     Reply with quote

I stopped by the wunderbar. The fisherman’s bench is underwater by almost a foot. Big logs rolling up against the rocks.

That prompted me to spring for an event site parking pass. (Last couple days for the pre season discount)

That, and the port of HR’s parking plan. $2 an hour for on street parking?

Forecast is for high water for another month. The current is ripping fast.

It’s going to be cozy on the grass.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostTue May 22, 18 5:46 am    Re: Locals only Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:
Yeah maybe a locals only launch were you show your property tax statement. Twisted Evil

Sweet idea!!! But first implement that policy in Maui, the Caribbean, Texas, Punta, Peru, and every other great kite destination. That'll fix those stupid traveling kiters because they do nothing for the local economy.

and,

Singlemalt wrote:
I stopped by the wunderbar. The fisherman’s bench is
That, and the port of HR’s parking plan. $2 an hour for on street parking?

Looks like it is on it's way!

Last edited by Matt V on Tue May 22, 18 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 22, 18 6:20 am    Re: Locals only Reply with quote

Matt V wrote:
wannabekiter wrote:

Sweet idea!!! But first implement that policy in Maui, the Caribbean, Texas, Punta, Peru, and every other great kite destination. That'll fix those stupid traveling kiters.

Don't get me started. Just checked my City of Tacoma WA property taxes:
$400 for parks. I kite Browns Point (park) maybe 10 times a year.
Oh.... $3K for schools. Last kid moved out in the 90's
Sad
Next? No more free parking

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue May 22, 18 7:26 am     Reply with quote

I had a similar concern last year with similar river flows and surprise surprise the sandbar grew significantly last year and actually added a second one which left less space in the shallows/park Sad

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue May 22, 18 7:31 am     Reply with quote

The article showed a depth gauge post in the water and I believe it showed 8 ft. higher than April 1st. The only positive part of the equation is the salmon are happier and the massive timber deposit on the HR sandbar should be washed away.

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostTue May 22, 18 8:02 am    once the snow melts Reply with quote

I wouldn't have to much concern about the various sand bars being removed by the the high water. The bar on the HR side is on the inside of the curve in the river and velocities are very low. More sediment is likely to be deposed from the Hood River than removed by the Columbia. The WS bar may migrate a bit as it is a bit more exposed to river velocity but I doubt the velocities are sufficient to mobilize significant portions of the bar. As with the HR bar the WS bar is likely to see significant sedimentation as the watershed continues to stabilize post dam removal.

Once the snow melts and the river returns to summer levels I suspect not much will have changed.

Very Happy Disclaimer - Im not a hydrologist

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 22, 18 8:10 am    Re: Locals only Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:

We have 2 locals launches - the Spit and the Marina. No documentation required. Smile

Spread the word (pun intended).

http://nwkite.com/forums/t-29515.html

windfun7

Since 23 Aug 2015
40 Posts

PostTue May 22, 18 11:26 am     Reply with quote

A small decrease in cfs will help a lot. The edge of the bar is only a couple of feet underwater at the north and south ends. The middle section is deeper and current is ripping over it but it was like that last year.

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue May 22, 18 3:40 pm    Re: Locals only Reply with quote

Thank you ldhr!

YES, it is really important to remind everyone that they do not have to be on the pigpile, just because it is a pigpile (aka The Event Site).
The Sandspit is very under utilized and can be launched and landed from during high water fairly easily (Carlos' kite school has been teaching quite a bit even during the high water)
The Marina is also very underutilized and can have some very, very accessible launching now with high water, literally having to walk no more than 30 yards to be in the water (and deep water launching for foilers just north of the bathrooms)

ldhr wrote:
wannabekiter wrote:

We have 2 locals launches - the Spit and the Marina. No documentation required. Smile

Spread the word (pun intended).

http://nwkite.com/forums/t-29515.html

shane s

Since 19 Jun 2013
11 Posts
Hood

PostTue May 22, 18 3:46 pm    Have no Fear Reply with quote

I am a geomorphologist and I am not worried about the sandbar. The Hood tends to carry most of its sediment either in the later summer when the snowpack is gone and glaciers start to melt, or in big dramatic events when a piece of Coe or Elliot breaks and the river turns to a giant mudflow at will deposit lots of sediment all at once.

This year is a bit different in that the Columbia is at minor flood stages while the Hood River is having a very average spring freshet. So there could be some minor changes like the second eastern sandbar may not be at big or the northern tip pulled back a bit. But as noted the Hood is on the inside of a bend and although it seems big right now this isn't that big of an event historically for the Columbia.

In general, the forces are in the sandbar's favor. There is a whole mountain of loose volcanic sediment just waiting to come down the Hood and WS Rivers and the Columbia just doesn't have the pre flood control dams power to move it out. So unless they build a dam on the Hood or White Salmon Rivers or start removing dams on the Columbia both the Hood and WS sandbars will continue to slowly grow and grow. With some minor fluctuations.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed May 23, 18 7:38 am     Reply with quote

My concern is there have been no cataclysmic events on either river to provide sediment replenishment. I feel most of the sediment has been transported down the White Salmon River since the dam blew in 2011 and the Elliot Glacier event was around 2005. Neither river is very high. We are getting lots timber debris from the shorelines of all 3 rivers. A friend Supping on the Wa. side yesterday, reported the fishing bench is under 2 feet of water and all of the sand has been scoured away where we used to walk. He mentioned that the entire bar has drifted to the west.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed May 23, 18 10:13 am     Reply with quote

I have never met or heard of a geomorphologist before, had to look that one up! Sounds like you are the man for the job, I hope your predictions are spot on.

niknas

Since 18 Sep 2006
181 Posts
North of OR, South of WA
Stoked

PostWed May 23, 18 3:13 pm     Reply with quote

moondog wrote:
the sand has been scoured away where we used to walk. He mentioned that the entire bar has drifted to the west.

That's great now we don't have to walk around that pesky fence. Just kidding.....Laughing

ridercentral

Since 20 May 2009
38 Posts
PDX-Coast-Gorge

PostThu May 24, 18 8:33 am    Marina Launch is Advanced / Expert Reply with quote

From CGKA- "The Marina is also very underutilized and can have some very, very accessible launching now with high water, literally having to walk no more than 30 yards to be in the water (and deep water launching for foilers just north of the bathrooms) "

Also, CGKA, you should mention the Marina is an advanced/expert launch. Yes, the launch is accessible, but the wind is very difficult to work with there... Which is why the marina is 90%+ pros and expert locals.

For longevity of the spot, it would be best to keep it that way in my opinion. The event site is sweet as long as you just wait your turn and follow the rules.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: