Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Summer Travel? Please post what you pay for shipping.
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue May 08, 18 5:12 pm     Reply with quote

International Tip: book non-us carriers or code shares with non-us and the return legs will usually handle luggage by weight instead of “USA racketeering system screw job rate”
examples: last winter Uruguay via avianca outbound from IAD $185 for surfboard bag + 2 suitcases, return bag charge $85 for same bags. Plus fare was 30% lower than US airlines. Spring trip to Bahamas via JetBlue(US)/Silver airways (Bahamas), outbound $100 for boardbag under 50 lbs + 1 suitcase, return $85 for same since leg originated on silver instead of JetBlue and silver charges by weight.

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostTue May 08, 18 5:17 pm     Reply with quote

I flew from LAX to Melbourne Australia via Auckland on Air New Zealand and one suitcase with foil, and clothes together with an oversized golfbag with foil board, strut, wetsuit and harness, and kites cost nothing both ways. They were more concerned about weight and both were just under the 25Kg international limit.

MasPedos

Since 05 May 2017
94 Posts
Kihei Hey Hey

PostWed May 09, 18 5:41 am    International Travel is way different than domestic. Reply with quote

I think that the international travel is way different from group to group. AA and Delta and their respective groups of cooperating airlines are all gonna do things differently.

I wish I had this problem and knew more about international travel. When I flew to Japan in 2012 it was about weight, but I did not take a board. I borrowed from a Slingy guy near Toyama.

One thing that I do is pack two boards in a single board bag and pad the sheeitee out of it. I've done this twice and got two boards for the price of one.

Another option to save some money is to ship kites US Post to Maui. Problem is that you have to have a receiving address. I shipped 3 kites, 2 bars, wetsuit, and pump in a big box from Hermosa Beach Post Office to Maui for about $45 bucks with insurance. This was 2014.

Keep posting your experiences and make sure to list airline and cost and size of board if you can.

Thanks,

aksurfer

Since 30 Aug 2010
90 Posts
Anchorage, AK

PostFri May 11, 18 12:59 pm     Reply with quote

Alaska all the way. Just travelled from Alaska to Portugal via Alaska Air and lame American Airlines but only 45,000 miles RT. Three boards in a 6'6" coffin and a hockey bag with three kites, wetsuits, etc. All weighed under 50lbs. Free from Alaska to Lisbon and $100 return (American Airlines) with no damage to anything. After 25 years of traveling with boards my experience is the heavier your board bag is the more damage you can expect.

Alz

Since 04 Aug 2015
33 Posts

PostFri May 11, 18 8:40 pm     Reply with quote

Just got back from Hatteras flying on American. Three of us put four boards in one bag just under 50 lbs. and got charged $150 flying there. On the way back I checked the bags in at the kiosk before going to the agent. The agent asked if it was a skim board, so I said yes. Only $25.

On two previous flights on Alaska, haven't had any extra charge.

MasPedos

Since 05 May 2017
94 Posts
Kihei Hey Hey

PostThu May 17, 18 10:59 am    Nice to know! Thanks Reply with quote

That is exactly the kind of stuff that might save us some casssshhhh!

Thanks for sharing

Speedo

Since 07 May 2007
262 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri May 18, 18 10:04 am     Reply with quote

I'm confused about the Alaska policy.

My understanding is oversize bag for sporting equipment is treated as a normal bag. That includes surfboards, maybe even SUP.

My experience was March 2018 to Cabos from PDX- I had Huge coffin bag which was under 50 lbs. Had board and kites in it. I wanted to make sure to stay under 50 lbs. I had 2 bags and since I used the Alaska credit card, got one bag free and the 2nd for $25. Same on way back.

My friend, had ONE Coffin bag for EVERYTHING- clothes and gear. Overweight and oversize. FREE (first bag free for because of the credit card).

Has alaska changed?

MasPedos

Since 05 May 2017
94 Posts
Kihei Hey Hey

PostFri May 18, 18 10:59 am    Alasak Air Reply with quote

What were the dimensions of your bag and your friends' bag?

I think Alaska Policy is :

Quote:

Traveling with sports equipment
We're happy to assist you when traveling with your sports equipment. We accept sports equipment items as checked baggage, provided each piece is properly packed in a soft- or hard-sided case designed specifically for the equipment. If your travel includes multiple airlines, different restrictions may apply.

Individual sports equipment pieces
Each checked piece listed below is subject to our standard checked baggage fees and waivers. We’re glad to waive the oversize fee or overweight fee for the items listed in this section. If contents unrelated to the equipment are included, additional baggage fees may apply. Refer to our Checked baggage policy for checked piece charges and waivers.

Archery
Bicycles
Boogie boards
Bowling
Golf Clubs
Skis/Snowboard
Fishing Equipment
Hockey/Lacrosse Equipment
Pole Vaults
Scuba Equipment
Skateboards
Surfboards/Paddleboards
Windsurfing Equipment
Oversize sports equipment
Although the items below may exceed our normal size allowance, we're glad to accept them as checked baggage. Standard checked baggage, overweight, or oversize fees apply. Refer to our Checked baggage policy for checked piece, overweight, and oversize charges.

Kayaks
Kayaks are not accepted for flights operated by Horizon Air or SkyWest on behalf of Alaska Airlines.
Glass kayaks are not accepted
Multiple piece exceptions
For these sports-equipment types, you may check the following multiple pieces as one checked piece. Unless otherwise noted, all standard checked baggage fees apply. Refer to our Checked baggage page for more information about these fees. Refer to our Checked baggage policy for checked piece, overweight, and oversize charges.

Skis/snowboards
1 piece of ski/snowboard equipment is defined as 1 pair of skis with poles or 1 snowboard, plus 1 boot/helmet bag. If boots/helmet are checked in a bag that also contains clothing or additional items, standard checked baggage fees will apply to the bag. Ski/snowboard equipment may exceed 62" (linear), without incurring an oversize fee.
Fishing
One piece of fishing equipment is defined as two rods, two reels, and one tackle box. Fishing equipment may exceed 62" (linear) but no more than 115" (linear), without incurring an oversize fee.
Hockey/lacrosse
One piece of hockey/lacrosse equipment consists of hockey/lacrosse sticks (multiple sticks must be taped/attached together) and one bag/box of miscellaneous hockey equipment (skates, pads, pucks, gloves, etc.). Hockey/lacrosse equipment may exceed 62" (linear) but no more than 115" (linear), without incurring an oversize fee.
Pole vaults
One piece of pole vaulting equipment is defined as one or two pole vaults with a maximum dimension of 6" x 6" x 17'. Note: On Alaska Airlines flights 2000-2999 and 3300-3499 the maximum single dimension is 8 ft.
Scuba
One piece of scuba equipment is defined as one scuba gear container and one tank. The scuba gear container is limited to one regulator, one tank harness, one pressure gauge, one mask, two fins, one snorkel, one knife, one spear gun and one safety vest. Scuba equipment may exceed 62" (linear) but no more than 115" (linear), without incurring an oversize fee. Note: Scuba tanks must have the regulator valve disconnected. The tank must have an open end for visual inspection.
Surfboards/paddleboards
One item of surfing or paddle equipment is defined as a surfboard or paddleboard case with up to two boards inside. On Alaska Airlines flights operated with 737 or Airbus aircraft the equipment may measure a maximum 115" (9 ft., 7 in.) in length alone. On Alaska Airlines flights 2000-2999 and 3330-3499 the maximum combined dimensions may not exceed 115" (linear).
Windsurfing
One piece of windsurfing equipment is defined as one windsurfing board and one mast, boom and sail. Airbus aircraft, the maximum mast length is 15 feet. 737 aircraft, the maximum mast length is 17. Flights operated by Horizon Air or SkyWest on behalf of Alaska Airlines, the maximum single dimension is 8 feet.

Speedo

Since 07 May 2007
262 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri May 18, 18 11:05 am     Reply with quote

sorry i dont know the dimensions. But i think it they met the length guidelines the policy applies to. My bag I think was intended for 3 or 4 surfboards.

josephcrabill

Since 07 Jun 2018
3 Posts

Kook

PostFri Jun 08, 18 5:41 am     Reply with quote

There are various companies that offer to ship on the international level. I heard from my neighbour that it is cheaper to go for such companies. Last year they have used services by We Will Transport It for shipping and they told that they were reliable.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jun 08, 18 7:55 am     Reply with quote

Some Alaska gate agents at PDX are very lenient and if you are polite they will sometimes waive the fee and charge $0.00. It all depends on their mood that day.
They could have charged $75 but they want your business. Alaska is a great company who treats their employees well.

Speedo wrote:

My understanding is oversize bag for sporting equipment is treated as a normal bag. That includes surfboards, maybe even SUP.

My experience was March 2018 to Cabos from PDX- I had Huge coffin bag which was under 50 lbs. Had board and kites in it. I wanted to make sure to stay under 50 lbs. I had 2 bags and since I used the Alaska credit card, got one bag free and the 2nd for $25. Same on way back.

My friend, had ONE Coffin bag for EVERYTHING- clothes and gear. Overweight and oversize. FREE (first bag free for because of the credit card).

Has alaska changed?

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Jun 08, 18 9:12 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
Some Alaska gate agents at PDX are very lenient and if you are polite they will sometimes waive the fee and charge $0.00. It all depends on their mood that day.
They could have charged $75 but they want your business. Alaska is a great company who treats their employees well.

Speedo wrote:

Has alaska changed?

Unlike United who likes to bend you over at every chance they get. They have a corporate culture of being unhelpful.

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jun 08, 18 8:19 pm     Reply with quote

Unlike United who likes to bend you over at every chance they get. They have a corporate culture of being unhelpful.[/quote]

Ain’t that the truth! We call them the “surly” 😡 airlines. Stopped flying them in 2002 and from what I’ve read, they’ve only gotten worse. They used to serve a reasonable burrito in flight but that’s kind of like saying the neighbor’s not as bad as he used to be... he only beats his dog once a week instead of everyday... jerks are jerks even if they occasionally do one thing that’s not half bad.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: