Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Small Kitefoil Board advice wanted
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon May 07, 18 7:45 am     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
Got 5 on foil today (5/50 but, hey, I'll take that)--loving that small DC!

Hope to get 10 next session

Fun challenge

Eric

Great!!
My recent breakthroughs were:
Place the kite way higher than your brain might think is good. The line & bar almost feel like their about to touch my shoulder.
Rig bigger for lift.
Oh... a rope slider bar a la Ride Engine helped me. Looser hip & leg freedom.
At maybe %60 on good days.

anders

Since 01 May 2012
107 Posts

Stoked

PostThu May 10, 18 5:37 am     Reply with quote

If you are on a budget, wakeskates make decent foil boards. Ive used a few. They don't last more than a couple seasons if you are jumping a lot and they have more rocker than needed. For $100 and some hardware you can have a decent set up. I'm not opposed to buying a foil specific board but I wouldn't want to pay more than $400 myself. Have fun!

scottnorby

Since 23 Sep 2005
538 Posts
Cascadia - Seattle - Encinitas
Addicted

PostTue May 15, 18 10:25 am     Reply with quote

Not trying to hijack the thread but we have a demo foil/surf convertible board we are selling - this is a production board sample. 5 futures fin boxes for surf and kitesurf— also has a foil track box. CushTech soft shell skin over the whole board. And the rails, under the skin, are memory foam. 5’4” x 21.25 x 2.5
Basalt cloth and carbon fiber under the skin.
Msg me for pics upload isnt working

Cush skinned boards
Soft shell outside - eps and basalt cloth inside
Memory foam rails

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostFri May 18, 18 5:04 am     Reply with quote

Okay Kip, on foil switches I am at about 30% on port reach switching heel to toe, 25% on starboard toe to heel, 10% starboard heel to toe, and port toe to heel my brain quite literally locks my back foot in place and it's glued there--comical.

Fred gives me the tip of the week and they are super helpful. Don't hop, make sure your new front foot is as far forward as the foot it's replacing, initiate the switch as you feel weightless, rather than on the way to becoming weightless--as I get better I bet I will have more leeway on that--and place the back foot far enough back--which is currently more of a random "praynplace," than a mindful placement. All in good time. Super fun to work on something that is very challenging for me. Skipping all of the big swell sessions on my directional of late, because "been there done that," and having more fun being absurdly obsessive on getting these down. So last few sessions I have been lit up on a 5 m and riding the water by Western Power, while my buddies are riding 8' river swell by the bridge on directionals.

I can see that the front hook is not helping, but I am falling in so much I enjoy the crutch of the hook to use less energy water starting, so it stays on for now. Enjoying the heck out of the 42 DCraft and recommend it with no hesitation whatsoever.

I was a rower in high school and college, so luckily this process fits that mindset of "pain and suffering is fun!"

Eric

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri May 18, 18 6:43 am     Reply with quote

Eric,
So great reading your missives. "Pain & Suffering" is also an integral part of an enjoyable day for me. Not sure if you were a windsurfer in the 80s & 90s but for me "The Perfect Jybe" was the holy grail. This feels very similar with its relentless crashes. I was once told that the perfect jybe took 4K tries before you're consistent. Not sure about that but I was close.
Fred Hope is God. You are very lucky to have him around for even 3 minutes of parking lot coaching. No Hopping? I'm screwed. Gotta impose this new step pattern. I found a video a few weeks ago where a person took his DC 42 and put it in his living room and practiced that step while watching the NFL.
I'm getting a Kanaha Shapes 37 in a few weeks with no footstrap/hooker inserts. So.... This summer has some goals.
See you soon.
Kip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: