Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Summer Travel? Please post what you pay for shipping.
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
MasPedos

Since 05 May 2017
94 Posts
Kihei Hey Hey

PostThu Apr 26, 18 4:09 am    Summer Travel? Please post what you pay for shipping. Reply with quote

Hi, I'm thinking that it may be a good idea to see who is paying what for shipping your stuff on Airlines this summer.
This Christmas Break I paid $100 twice to ship my tyrant and 3 kites. I know that is high and that is why I'm asking everyone to post their cost and experience here. It seems like a good use of this post as we all kite and stuff.

So, I'll go first.
Alaskan Airline, ABQ to SD to OGG return OGG to OAK to ABQ

I flew from NM to San Diego with an overnight switch and paid the $100. The fee broke down into $25 for an extra bag, 3 kites, and $75 for the board.

The fee was the same on the return flight.

It was a pain in the ass because when I got SD my bags were not checked through, big mistake, but saved money with the ticket.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Apr 26, 18 9:15 am     Reply with quote

I flew to London and then Tenerife and back with over xmas with a 50 lbs Ride Tactical trolley and was charged $0 as per British Airways luggage policy.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Apr 26, 18 1:18 pm     Reply with quote

$100 for 2 bags - one being over-sized is normal for Alaskan.
Most airlines will charge you $150 for a surfboard.
If your board is under 6 feet long - next time pack everything into one bag, maybe carry-on your small kite and bars to keep the one bag under $50.

Finally - this is NW Kite. Summer is peak season in the northwest and there's no reason to travel for kiting. Between HR and the coast I can kite every day and have any type of conditions.

coupdevill

Since 09 Mar 2016
260 Posts
Hood River, OR
Obsessed

PostThu Apr 26, 18 9:00 pm    Re: Summer Travel? Please post what you pay for shipping. Reply with quote

I use a full length ski bag, typically goes for $25 when under 50lbs. Heading to Hatteras next week, will post my experience.

coup

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Apr 27, 18 5:19 am     Reply with quote

I live in CO so I have to fly all the time to kite. I went down to EL Cuyou a month ago and took this massive ion bag. You could fit a person in there.

I flew first and also have status so I got two bag for free and they could weigh up to 70 lbs.

On the way down on united flying out of a Eagle Vail everyone marveled at the size of the bag but there was no charge. I told them there were two sets of golf clubs.

On the way back out of Cancun we checked in with no issue, then as we were walking away they called me back. Said I needed to pay an oversized fee. They asked what was in the bag, I told them golf clubs. They asked if they could look in the bag I said fine. I had put two Cleveland irons in there prior to leaving. They were on the top of the bag. They unzipped the bag and sure enough saw the clubs and no fee was charged.

So the clubs saved me a 250 fee. I know that wouldn't work in Maui, but for the untrained agent, it was a great call to bring my clubs.

coupdevill

Since 09 Mar 2016
260 Posts
Hood River, OR
Obsessed

PostThu May 03, 18 5:16 am    Re: Summer Travel? Please post what you pay for shipping. Reply with quote

This week headed to Hatteras with 1/80" Long 3pr. ski bag 50lbs and 1 50lbs gear bag.

$25 1st bag $35 2nd bag. In 4 or 5 trips to SPI and Hatteras and dozens of trips around the western US skiing, no ticket agent has every asked to look inside the bag. My friends traveling with standard surfboard bags always get charged the $150 fee.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostThu May 03, 18 1:20 pm    Re: Summer Travel? Please post what you pay for shipping. Reply with quote

coupdevill wrote:
This week headed to Hatteras with 1/80" Long 3pr. ski bag 50lbs and 1 50lbs gear bag.

$25 1st bag $35 2nd bag. In 4 or 5 trips to SPI and Hatteras and dozens of trips around the western US skiing, no ticket agent has every asked to look inside the bag. My friends traveling with standard surfboard bags always get charged the $150 fee.

what 3 pair bag are you using? Like a dakine roller?

coupdevill

Since 09 Mar 2016
260 Posts
Hood River, OR
Obsessed

PostThu May 03, 18 3:07 pm    Re: Summer Travel? Please post what you pay for shipping. Reply with quote

what 3 pair bag are you using? Like a dakine roller?[/quote]

http://www.dynastar.com/en-us/product/speed-23-pair-wheel-bag-210cm

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostFri May 04, 18 7:58 am    Re: Summer Travel? Please post what you pay for shipping. Reply with quote

coupdevill wrote:
what 3 pair bag are you using? Like a dakine roller?

http://www.dynastar.com/en-us/product/speed-23-pair-wheel-bag-210cm[/quote]

What can you fit in there? Board? 3 kites?

coupdevill

Since 09 Mar 2016
260 Posts
Hood River, OR
Obsessed

PostFri May 04, 18 3:33 pm    Re: Summer Travel? Please post what you pay for shipping. Reply with quote

http://www.dynastar.com/en-us/product/speed-23-pair-wheel-bag-210cm[/quote]

What can you fit in there? Board? 3 kites?[/quote]

1/141 and 1/149 TT
6/8/10 Kites
2Bars

50Lbs.

! big gear bag:
1/12m kite
Waist Harness
2 sets of bindings
2 wetsuits
1pr. booties
2pr. flip flops
Fins for TT, handles, screwdrivers
Sunscreen, beach towel and a shave kit

50Lbs.

Carried on clothing.

MasPedos

Since 05 May 2017
94 Posts
Kihei Hey Hey

PostSat May 05, 18 5:17 am    OK, that's alot of stuff in one bag. Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that, but the link is dead end. What airline did you travel? Where did you go?

Holy Shiite, you do know how to pack.

Very Happy

coupdevill

Since 09 Mar 2016
260 Posts
Hood River, OR
Obsessed

PostSat May 05, 18 5:13 pm    Re: OK, that's alot of stuff in one bag. Reply with quote

UNITED, DELTA, ALASKA

kassak

Since 18 May 2010
107 Posts

Stoked

PostSat May 05, 18 11:58 pm     Reply with quote

I just rent a surfboard when I travel, it seems to always be cheaper tgan flying with a board. Now that I don’t need a board I just use a super huge but light piece of luggage or two. The big golf bags makes no sense unless you bring the board.

SW first two bags fly free. Just took them to hatterss. Very nice not to bring anything I wanted and still have space for clothes.

MasPedos

Since 05 May 2017
94 Posts
Kihei Hey Hey

PostSun May 06, 18 3:37 am    Board Rental is a great idea. Reply with quote

Yeah, it seems like the big money item when you travel is the board. I do the same thing, kinda.
I have a board in Maui that I use/borrow. I travel with a big super light bag. It will fit my harness, 2 bars, 3 kites and some clothes for a total of 50lbs.
My board, a tyrrant 6 ft. usually costs me extra as I fly Alaska.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostMon May 07, 18 6:55 am    Re: Summer Travel? Please post what you pay for shipping. Reply with quote

coupdevill wrote:
http://www.dynastar.com/en-us/product/speed-23-pair-wheel-bag-210cm

What can you fit in there? Board? 3 kites?[/quote]

1/141 and 1/149 TT
6/8/10 Kites
2Bars

50Lbs.

! big gear bag:
1/12m kite
Waist Harness
2 sets of bindings
2 wetsuits
1pr. booties
2pr. flip flops
Fins for TT, handles, screwdrivers
Sunscreen, beach towel and a shave kit

50Lbs.

Carried on clothing.[/quote]

Great Info, there is a place in Denver that has the bag. I might pick it up. As of now, i foil so the board i am bringing fits in the golf back with a tt, then my foil, 2 bars and harness. Then i bring my other stuff in a large bag for 50lbs, then carry. On. The dynstar bag could be a great option when traveling with surfboard as well.

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostTue May 08, 18 6:48 am    Shipping Reply with quote

I travel to kite often and have been hit twice in 5 years - once for 100 and once for 150.

That said - anyone traveling from Maui is likely to get hit - you can't use the skycap method as they do not work directly for the airlines. That was the 150 for me.

Is it worth the difference to deal with shipping and storing to avoid the 150? not for me.

Consider owning a few decent kite surfboards and twin tips that you rent weekly for a reasonable fee - $100? I think you would find some interest

MasPedos

Since 05 May 2017
94 Posts
Kihei Hey Hey

PostTue May 08, 18 10:48 am    Rentals is a great idea. Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback and OUch!! On the $100 and $150. There are tons of boards over here available for rental. None for $100 a week, but I could do close to that.

One thing that will never go away is the strapped/strapless surfboard due to coral reefs.

Lanes is not a good spot to foil.

So, here's my next question. What size of board do you think would be the go to rental board?

My personal favorite is a Slingshot Tyrant 6-0, strapped/strapless. I'm 6-3 210lbs and with an 8/10/12 rpm I'm good as gold in most conditions.

I don't really use a twin tip anymore, but could get one to rent.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not trying to get rich, just trying to provide a service to those who may need it.

If you're interested in shipping and storing pm me.

Ron

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: