Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

new wetsuit time - opinions?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
5LineStringGuy

Since 26 Mar 2018
2 Posts

PostMon Apr 30, 18 8:40 pm    New suit for me Reply with quote

I needed a new wetsuit this year. I went in and got my first Promotion. Very happy about it.

Nevo

PostTue May 01, 18 12:12 pm    wetsuit Reply with quote

I got the O'Neill Mutant 4/3 this year. I like that it has a removable hood and is comfy/stretchy. I'm having issues overheating in it right now.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostFri May 04, 18 12:24 pm     Reply with quote

thanks all.
i've been looking at patagonia r3 and oneill psycho tech, but finding an MS is proving to be harder than expected.

keep the recommendations coming!

coupdevill

Since 09 Mar 2016
260 Posts
Hood River, OR
Obsessed

PostThu May 10, 18 2:39 pm    Re: new wetsuit time - opinions? Reply with quote

So happy with my purchase, O'neill PSYCHO 1 FUZE 4/3 FULL WETSUIT and HYPERFREAK 2MM CHEST ZIP L/S SPRING.

This new ultra stretchy material is unbelievable.

coup

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostTue Nov 06, 18 11:09 am     Reply with quote

so just an update on this.
i tried on a few different ones, but the oneill psycotech 5.5/4 won out.
wearing it feels like i have a 2mm on instead of a 5mm. crazy.
thanks all for the suggestions!

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostTue Nov 06, 18 2:23 pm     Reply with quote

One more twist to consider: I have learned a nifty trick this season in spite of having gotten a very good deal on PROmotion 5/3 which is at least 42% warmer than my old Hotline chest zip 4/3 hooded suit from a long time ago - simply to get a PROmotion wind stopper jacket.

You will see them in blue, rust, black and now green. Most people get pullovers, but I'd say pay the extra $10 and get a front zipper for EASY ON & OFF. I've been just wearing an old 2mm taped seam full suit and only starting in OCT/NOV when the temp dropped below 60, have I added a thick fleece rash guard (bought on east coast where the water never gets warm) and the PROmotion wind stopper jacket to remain toasty and warm.

All that said the jacket is probably more fitting for kiting than surfing, but being a non-duck and non-believer it might be just the ticket to keep you warm over whatever under suit you find yourself in. Just something to consider...

Mc

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Nov 07, 18 6:35 am     Reply with quote

McLovin wrote:
PROmotion wind stopper jacket. Just something to consider...[/i]

Mc

Me too. Love my ExoSkin from Promotion. Question: You mention a thick fleece rash guard. Mine's 2 decades old. Which one did you purchase?

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostWed Nov 07, 18 7:38 am     Reply with quote

After several promotion wetsuits over the last 10 years I can say I would steer clear . I tried to stay local but they really don't hold up and kiting is not that abusive .
They will always fix it but shipping costs to send it to them for a week to fix them .
I tried and tried . But gear failure is nice to avoid.

Patagonia is nice but definitely run very small

and cost .

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Nov 07, 18 8:56 am     Reply with quote

registered wrote:
After several promotion wetsuits over the last 10 years I can say I would steer clear . .

Did not want to say this in public, but since you opened the can 'o worms..... I too am unhappy. Searched for a good reliable wetsuit 5/4 in the Spring of 2016. Used the Promotion most of the summer. By the time I reached my Crissy Field session in April of '17 on my route home from Mexico, I nearly froze with poor fit and stupid fingertip holes from very gently putting it on. When you drive 1000 miles to just be at this very exciting place.... only to be let down and freezing is a priceless disappointment.
$.02
Kip

Edit: Like Promotion Exo-skin
Not-like Promotion Wetsuit

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Nov 07, 18 10:19 am     Reply with quote

Last time i checked (when i was buying a wetsuit for my wife two years ago) the materials used by Promotion were not up to par with the ones used by Ride Engine, O'Neill or Patagonia. The amount of stretch and very much a tight skin feel that the new type of neoprene gives you cannot be overstated. I would love to go local - but in the end prefer to go with better technology (plus Patagonia does more than others to source the materials in a eco-friendly and sustainable way)

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostWed Nov 07, 18 11:29 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Kip,

The fleece rash guard has a tag that reads, "WET STUFF" tried a quick online search but didn't find them. I've had it a pretty long time, it's very thick and really makes a BIG difference...got it as a gift.

I can do some more checking but remember it came from a surf shop in Hampton, NH - Cinnamon Rainbows: https://shop.cinnamonrainbows.com/collections/accessories/winter-surf-gear

Will update if I find a better link - it's short sleeve with a nice snug turtle neck style collar.

Mc

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Nov 08, 18 11:12 am     Reply with quote

Promotion has the best fuzzy warm insulation rash guard in short and long sleeve.
I love this piece - http://stores.wetsuit.com/mens-short-sleeve-polar-fuzz-top-black-j09/

The last one I got from Promo lasted 15 years.
This one is higher quality and thicker fleece.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Nov 08, 18 12:19 pm     Reply with quote

Thank You,
Yes, my current Promotion fleece fuzzy is at least 15 or more years old. Time for a refresh.

ldhr wrote:
Promotion has the best fuzzy warm insulation rash guard in short and long sleeve.
I love this piece - http://stores.wetsuit.com/mens-short-sleeve-polar-fuzz-top-black-j09/

The last one I got from Promo lasted 15 years.
This one is higher quality and thicker fleece.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: