Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT: Love my mountain, hate my mountain's crowds!
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Apr 02, 18 2:58 pm    Re: OT: Love my mountain, hate my mountain's crowds! Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
***RANT***

Portland has to have the biggest pack of alpine dumbasses!

Attention, you squatters on the crapper, there's 20 dudes in line out here, put your phone away and wrap it up! Alien

Hey, you jackasses in the dog area, you're not in the deep wilderness, you're in a heavily used dog park. There's free bags and garbage can right f'ing there. Scoop your dog's f'ing poop!

You f'ing MORONS in the lift line, do you understand what "alternate" means? It's not that hard of concept. Do you realize the line gets longer when you decide you need to ride the chair all by yourself? Mad

And lodge bunnies, guess what....aisles are for walking and tables are for sitting and eating. Not for storing your crap that should be left in your car. Next time you might find a little surprise in that bag of yours. Shocked

Slither management at Meadows heard your rant. . . No more unlimited season's passes next year. Things just got more exclusive up at Meadows. Now one will be able to take a #2 and read on their mobile phone without worry of lines and people trying to hurry-up their business on the throne.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2018/04/mt_hood_meadows_wont_offer_an.html

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Apr 02, 18 4:20 pm    Re: OT: Love my mountain, hate my mountain's crowds! Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
Mt Hood Meadows has made it too cheap to ski and oversold the resort. Time to increase the barriers to entry and weed out the weak and some of the dumb-assess; time to bump up the season pass prices two-fold.

Grrrr. I think your advice to raise their prices is what they heard. Evil or Very Mad

For the record, I wasn't complaining about the number of people, just their incredible lack of consideration. Alien

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostMon Apr 02, 18 7:18 pm     Reply with quote

Times they are a changin'

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Apr 02, 18 8:16 pm     Reply with quote

Actually, the pass price will be pretty similar. 399 for off peak unlimited. An extra 200 gets you true unlimited. So, it's about the same, but some folks can save some money by choosing "non-peak" pass.

<The total cost of the equivalent to an unlimited season pass for the 2018 to 2019 ski season will be $399 plus $200 for all peak access, if you purchase it before May 31. Tragethon said that is just $50 more than an unlimited pass cost this year.

Extra days purchased individually will initially cost $50.

And there is one loophole. If you've had any pass for both of the last two seasons, you can purchase an unlimited pass for next season for $549.>>

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Apr 03, 18 8:31 am     Reply with quote

But,

I think the dual pass will make a PR nightmare. I see folks showing up and not realizing their pass won't work until the gate will not open, after having driven up from PDX with a load of kids on a weekend. at 9 AM...

Bad

Very, very bad...

They had this issue BIG TIME on Rotary night with pass holders and that's just ONE day that happened EVERY year. They, wisely, stopped the policy of pass not working that night

I think they need to come up with another plan that does not involve a PhD to figure out when your pass works--KISS

Eric

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Apr 03, 18 2:59 pm     Reply with quote

Agreed, MHM has blown up in the last 3 years. Absolute mayhem. However, even the pass is getting too much traffic.

Stop bitchin and start lookin. There is always a new frontier that is not much talked about.

I've found mine. Mums the word.

<<no photos attached>>

Hulk

Since 17 Feb 2017
29 Posts
Portland, OR

PostWed Apr 04, 18 12:56 pm     Reply with quote

$399 for a season pass? that's what it was in 2003 (last time I bought one). I'm surprised it's still the same, especially with the growth.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 04, 18 1:00 pm     Reply with quote

Hulk wrote:
$399 for a season pass? that's what it was in 2003 (last time I bought one). I'm surprised it's still the same, especially with the growth.

In 2003 the $399 bought you a 4x4 unlimited pass. You had to sign up with 3 buddies.

The $399 pass for the 18/19 season will not work in the turnstiles between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. from December 15 to January 2, Saturdays and Sundays during January and February and Presidents Day and Martin Luther King Monday holidays.

If you work weekdays - this basically means you can't use your pass for most of the season.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 04, 18 7:24 pm     Reply with quote

If you wouldn’t attempt meadows on a weekend because of the crowds, it’s a decent deal. And you can go any night you want, if that floats yer boat.

Basically, it’s a midweek pass, but gets you some weekends during early season and spring skiing.

And it avoids the truly stupid peak days.

Popular with the 9- noon gorge folks that have flexible hours.

Looks pretty cheap compared to day tickets. Seems like I remember adult mid week season passes were about $350 thirty years ago. Can’t really complain about the price.

Expanding the lighted night area would be high on my wish list. Shooting star at night?

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Apr 05, 18 7:14 am     Reply with quote

Singlemalt wrote:

Expanding the lighted night area would be high on my wish list. Shooting star at night?

Another helpful idea would be in the Spring after the time change, instead of shutting down the lifts at 4, they could let them run till 6 or 7 without having to turn the lights on.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Apr 05, 18 3:40 pm     Reply with quote

Singlemalt wrote:

This would be cool if they did this, but I'm not holding my breath. Way more terrain and equipment to maintian and look after and acres to patrol etc etc = lots of $$$/costs. Not to mention the capital cost of putting in a bunch of new lights. Plus the competition of night skiing from Timberline and the Ski Bowl area.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostSat Apr 07, 18 4:20 pm     Reply with quote

I will reiterate, MHM isn’t that crowded. The lack of crowd management makes it seem that way though. Have you ever skiied an area that has lift workers managing the lines? Things run smoothly at those places. Does the term “front row” sound familiar? If MHM would set up their lift lines that most other places, the lines would flow better. The idea of DIY lift lines and merging lines doesn’t work. Also, they need to give their employees enough time for morning setup. I have been there plenty of times on busy days when there aren’t any ropes set. Of course there will be chaos in that scenario.
Furthermor, isn’t 1500 a random time to grant a value pass holder access to the ski lifts? Have you ever gone up for a family ski day in the afternoon? We do that all the time, even on holidays and there are no lines because the Portland folks have already ventured down Hwy 26. 1300 seems like a more reasonable time from my experience.
Yes, I am happy to see a $400 pass available but I still would like to ski with my family on weekends and holidays after the crowds leave. I am not sure how to approach management about reconsidering the 1500 access time. Does anyone else know by chance?

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat Apr 07, 18 4:37 pm     Reply with quote

Contact Dave Tragethon at MHM. VP Mktg, Communications, Sales. Very nice guy.

Without knowing all of the variables, I can assume that parking plays into this big time. That said, it would seem better to me to offer unlimited pass for $X, and an "afternoon unlimited" starting at say 2, for $(X-Y).

It's the some days the pass works, others not that I think will be a PR nightmare. And yes, 3 seems a bit late in the afternoon.

Eric

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSun Apr 08, 18 10:41 am    Makes ya think Reply with quote

I always wondered what happens if a lift failure let the weight of a weekend crowd go backwards down the hill.....

https://deadspin.com/chairlift-becomes-possessed-by-satan-wigs-the-fuck-out-1823826864

Bad enough being on a lift in strong wind, but this was terrifying.

Imagine Cascade piling back into the building at warp speed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: