Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

snowkite MSH

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostMon Mar 05, 18 7:09 am    snowkite MSH Reply with quote

another successful snowbike adventure this weekend up to MSH. so challenging to get this spot dialed as the wind swirls around in different directions. our intentions were to hit the plains of abraham, however with enough wind down at the lower elevations along with better visibility, I opted for rigging just about the tree line at 4000 ft. snow/wind conditions were much better yesterday than the previous attempts on MSH. best session of the season with good powered winds for my 14.5m kite. fun to plow through the powder with power.

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostMon Mar 05, 18 7:22 am     Reply with quote

Jim, those are some gorgeous pictures. Thanks for sharing. Looks like some beautiful snow and terrain. Nothing like getting to carve up fresh powder under a kite. Wow.

Had a question about the line mount and how you feel about using it on the snow. I was on a trip recently and had one of your designs for a GoPro and also a REVL line mount offered to try, but I was hesitant to use them. We were looping the kites constantly to climb and I just figured the mount could be a tangle issue, specially if the kite ever dropped with slack lines. It happens as it it seems that the wind is usually a lot more variable on snow than water. You get right back up and go, but there are more loops, crashes, hot launches and just general kite work to get where you're headed.

Wanted to ask, though, as you've probably used line mounts more than anyone and can say what works and what doesn't. I ride Slingshot Compstick Sentinel bars. I was going to put one on for a few tacks once I got dialed, but I was having so much fun I forgot to come back in! Very Happy

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostMon Mar 05, 18 7:38 am     Reply with quote

I'll have to say line mounts can be tricky especially on the snow. I tend to only use them when I am confident the wind is solid and strong. using line mounts in mediocre winds will only frustrate the rider. Yesterday I actually started my session without the gopro and after I felt the wind picked up strong enough I felt I could put it on. I was using a gopro session with a new prototype mount that weighs virtually nothing. I had a couple of issues with this mount but that is mainly because it would slide down my lines from time to time. looping my kite did not have any affect on the mount. I'm not familiar with the competitor's mounts. I know there are a handful that have sprouted up over the past couple of years. I can't elaborate on those because I have never used them. I had designed the camrig mounts to be used on pretty much any bar setup and if used properly it should not cause any snagging with your steering lines. with that being said, I have snagged my steering line on the mount in the past, but usually a loop on the reverse direction resolves this problem. as for the revl cam, I really am intrigued with what it does. I didn't take it with me for two main reasons. I found the battery life in the cold weather is limited and the weight of the camera is much heavier than I expected. when I use the revl arc cam, I have a custom prototype mount that seems to work well with the camera.

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostMon Mar 05, 18 8:54 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Great info.

I don't currently have a Session but I'm thinking for the reasons you describe it might be the best line mount camera out there, allowing you to keep the camera, and mount, small and light. Less stuff to catch.

I was impressed with the build quality of the REVL and found it smaller than expected, but I also thought it was a bit heavy and the prototype footage I looked at was marginal. However, the sections where the camera was steady were great. Good accurate color representation. I know they're still working on the firmware so it'll be interesting to watch this camera. There's a lot of kiter stoke out there for it.

I'm impressed how well the GoPros do in the cold as long as you leave them off between shoots. I don't know how they do it as it seems that everyone uses batteries that look similar. I had mine in my pants pocket in below 0 temps and it worked perfect every time I pulled it out. My iPhone on the other hand... Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: