Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Solo trip to Los Barrilles or La Ventana

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostSun Nov 05, 17 8:21 am    Solo trip to Los Barrilles or La Ventana Reply with quote

I am in the works of putting together a trip in late Jan or early Feb to the East Cape for mostly working on my kite foiling skills in some warm weather and water. My wife has indicated she isn't really interested in going this time and I should just do a solo trip on my own. Haven't been down in that area since 2002 so I am sure a lot has changed other than it is still good wind that time of year.

I started looking into flights and from what I could find on the internet through multiple searches is that no domestic flights are flying directly to La Paz anymore, San Jose del Cabo is my only option especially since Alaska Air has non stop flights out of PDX some days of the week?
Maybe I am wrong and someone can clue me in on that one. Thus, I am leaning more towards going to Los Barrilles since I don't want to rent a car and just want to taxi to a hotel/resort from San Jose del Cabo and hang there for the duration. Los Barrilles is an easy 1 hour taxi ride and I can handle that easily vs a half day ride from San Jose del Cabo to La Ventana.

So my main inquiry is what are some cool beach front hotels/resorts that I can rent a room in Los Barrilles and be able to kite directly out the back from the grounds there at the place. I don't need ocean view, but I would like to be able to easily check conditions, go back to my room, suit up and walk out to the beach, pump up and go ride. Would be cool to hang out with other kiters and help out with launching and landing. Being able to easily walk to town and restaurants and markets would be a secondary consideration, but would be willing to get a taxi for that if necessary. Definitely don't want to get a rental car such that I always have to drive to kite somewhere. Also not going there for lessons and I will be bringing all my own gear so don't need the hotel/gear/instructions package that cost a million dollars, just want a nice, clean, safe room to rent. I would also consider renting a room in a house if there are owners or tenants that are willing to do that sort of thing for a solo kiter. Would be cool to have access to a kitchen for the trip.

Willing to think about La Ventana for a trip, but have never spent time in LB and many kiters have told me good things about it, so it would be my preferred location for this trip.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Nov 05, 17 9:32 am     Reply with quote

I've been seeing people on Facebook Talk Baja flying to San Diego, then taxi to light rail, light rail to the new border walk sky brigde to the TJ airport, then flying the inexpensive Volaris Airlines to La Paz. Quick search showing $142 TJ-La Paz

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostSun Nov 05, 17 10:35 am     Reply with quote

I would suggest early Feb, that way you miss all of the competitions. LB is one kite size bigger than LV. Those La Paz flights from the USA are thing of the past. I use to love the flight from LAX to LAP. So relaxing and lots of interesting people on the flight. I learned so much about old Baja from them. You will be taking Alaska to SJD. Think about getting the Alaska Credit card, when you book. There is a $75 fee. First bag free is good with the card! I suggest an earlier flight than the direct PDX flights, transferring plane in Orange County or San Diego has worked well for me. Avoid LAX!!! Coming back take the direct flight to PDX.

There several shuttle services that run between, SJD, Los Barrilles and Lv. One hour to LB or 2 hours to LV.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Nov 05, 17 2:43 pm     Reply with quote

https://vanwormerresorts.com/hotel/2/playa-del-sol

This is a great beach front Hotel in LB. There will be a number of us there the second half of January... Great place to go Solo even if you don't know anybody there. The Vela folks are based there and it's fun to hang out on that side of the pool with a beer waiting for the wind line to get there. Walking distance to a few restaurants. I'm planning to skip the rental car this year and rent a quad. Lots of bars and restaurants accessible by quad. Head up the beach in a quad for drinks at a beachfront bar, back to the hotel via beach... Smile (BTW, the hotel has it's own beachfront bar too.)

Last edited by Nak on Sun Nov 05, 17 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Nov 05, 17 2:45 pm     Reply with quote

Anthony wrote:
I would suggest early Feb, that way you miss all of the competitions.
I found the competitions fun to be around, bit it's a moot point. Lord Of The Wind Cancelled.
Anthony wrote:
LB is one kite size bigger than LV.

That's not always true. The last two trips to LB we were kiting while friends in LV were sitting on the beach...

redbeerd

Since 11 Nov 2014
8 Posts
Corvallis, OR
Kook

PostSun Jan 21, 18 8:29 pm     Reply with quote

This may be a bit late for you but for checking conditions the Exotikite folks have a webcam on top of the "La Playa" restaurant that is right there next to the school. You can see the flags on the beach and the water in the webcam. They also have a sensor on iKite, but you need the subscription to see it.

http://www.exotikite.com/webcam/

I stopped by the Vela Windsport hotel board/rental shop last week to look for some board fins, and they were friendly. Not sure about the pricing on the rooms though.

Depending on your price range, the Exotikite casitas are in a great location. I think they run about $75-85 USD/night. A bit expensive, but that's how things seem to be going around there.

Hope you have a good trip down there. Check out Piedras Gordas if you can for some good and cheap fresh fish dinners. It's a little south of town.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Jan 22, 18 6:48 am     Reply with quote

I prefer LV because of the big catchers mitt bay that beginners can wash up on. There is a huge Foil Army down here to get tips from. The wind blows more often in LV, lately foilers are out 7 days a week. The classic finished up yesterday so it won't be so crowded. We use a van service, runs in between $45-60/person takes 2 hours. Samuel Lucero---turissaven@hotmail.com. I have an apt, for rent that is 5-10 minutes to everything, pm me for details. You will be surprised how much LV has changed in the last 5 years, it is gentrified mexican now with great internet and probably 25 restaurants.

not on board

Since 08 May 2009
39 Posts
United States

PostWed Jan 24, 18 9:27 am     Reply with quote

I will be in La Paz from feb 3 to feb 10. I will be driving over to LV during the day and then back before dark. If you or anyone else wants a ride and are in La Paz at the same time, let me know.

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostMon Jan 29, 18 11:08 pm     Reply with quote

Just got back from my 2 week trip to Los Barriles and La Ventana with a week at each spot. Was invited to join in on a trip with a bunch of kiters from Washington, Oregon and California. A great group of eclectic people of different ages, interests and kiting experience made the trip a total success that I will never forget.

I ended up meeting lots of people from NW kite forum at both locations that were just on-line personalities before, but are now personal friends with shared experiences. Much thanks to everyone who gave me good advice on this thread and especially those on the trip that made me feel so welcomed.

Very Happy

ps It was decent to really great kiting conditions everyday except one Sunday in LB. However, they were running the Baja 300 that day which was really fun to spectate the racing.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jan 31, 18 2:06 pm    Re: Solo trip to Los Barrilles or La Ventana Reply with quote

Windian wrote:
I am in the works of putting together a trip in late Jan or early Feb to the East Cape for mostly working on my kite foiling skills in some warm weather and water.

So..... are you foiling now?

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostWed Jan 31, 18 6:21 pm    Re: Solo trip to Los Barrilles or La Ventana Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
Windian wrote:
I am in the works of putting together a trip in late Jan or early Feb to the East Cape for mostly working on my kite foiling skills in some warm weather and water.

So..... are you foiling now?

I have around 10 foiling sessions under my belt now and have determined that foiling is process, not to be had with immediate success. I can now get some long glides on my strong goofy foot tack, but my weaker regular foot tack still feels like a bucking bronco with short glides with hard water slap downs.

I was really impressed with the foil racers at La Ventana with their crazy speed along with upwinding and downwinding skills. Also impressed with how good many of the 60's and older foilers were out there at LV and LB just killing it with super smooth and controlled style.

Would like to get be able to foil with style and poise one day, but I am still along way off that mark right now. Currently for me foiling is still more work than fun, but every session the ratio is getting closer to flipping the other way. I now understand foiling is not a final destination, but instead a journey or triumphs and defeats.

Smile

jblum

Since 13 Jul 2008
305 Posts
The Gorge
Obsessed

PostTue Feb 20, 18 9:46 pm     Reply with quote

redbeerd wrote:

Depending on your price range, the Exotikite casitas are in a great location. I think they run about $75-85 USD/night. A bit expensive, but that's how things seem to be going around there.

The Exotikite Casitas are the best of everything. Walk to anywhere, easy. Launch 50 feet from where you're sleeping. Keep your gear on your front porch for easy access. No hauling your gear around once you are there. Great food and scene at La Playa restaurant and the kite school. Highly recommended.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: