Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

South Padre, weekend Feb 23rd-26th, lodging advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostMon Jan 29, 18 8:05 pm    South Padre, weekend Feb 23rd-26th, lodging advice? Reply with quote

Traveling with a friend to do some kiting, looking for lodging tips/advice/recommendations. PM me with anything specific.

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jan 30, 18 11:49 am    South Padre Reply with quote

It is very simple. You need to rent a car. There are many cheap hotels - any of them will work.
The kiting will either be in the sound or the ocean - north of the town, there are not really many options for "kite from your door" on the sound. Yes for the gulf side. There are good downwinder options on the gulf side - you simply park, kite and cab back - the cab is pretty cheap. That's about all you need to know. Have fun

honda1

Since 11 Sep 2013
183 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jan 30, 18 2:49 pm    Spi Reply with quote

If possible I would bag SPI and head down to La Ventanna. The wind in LV should still be good for that time. A group of us use to hit SPI and did for a couple years but once we discovered LV no more SPI. La Ventanna is much better in every way compared to South Padre. With that said the wind has always been amazing for us at SPI so you’ll have a good time. I just suggest Giving LV a shot if you haven’t been there. Have a great time!

not on board

Since 08 May 2009
39 Posts
United States

PostWed Jan 31, 18 9:46 am     Reply with quote

Last time there, went with a group of 5 guys we stayed at the Bahia Mar Resort. It was great because they had a big deck area right above beach. also have guards there to keep non resort guests from coming up stairs to patio and grass area right behind patio. So it was safe to leave all are stuff on the deck couches and chairs. We were able to launch just 30 feet from the deck. To keep the sand of my kite, I would land the kite on the grass just in the property if someone was there to catch it.

You have to wear a wrist band the whole time you are there to get entrance on and off the property but small price for feeling that your car and gear are safe on top of your car or while on the ground while you are out kiting or getting lunch.

The place has 2 pools and 2 tennis courts.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jan 31, 18 10:01 am    Re: Spi Reply with quote

honda1 wrote:
If possible I would bag SPI and head down to La Ventanna. La Ventanna is much better in every way compared to South Padre.

I would imagine the waves to be worse in every way in LV.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Jan 31, 18 10:16 am    Re: Spi Reply with quote

honda1 wrote:
If possible I would bag SPI and head down to La Ventanna. The wind in LV should still be good for that time. A group of us use to hit SPI and did for a couple years but once we discovered LV no more SPI. La Ventanna is much better in every way compared to South Padre.

La Ventanna isn't "much better in every way" compared to SPI. . . NO WAVES.

True LV is magical and exodic compared to SPI from a cultural and cuisine standpoint. But it has no shallows, flat water, or waves killer super long downwinders. LV really only has wind swell and chop as well as shorter downwinders.

If I had to pick between the two of them I'd pick LV 9 out of 10 times. But sometimes one only has a certain amount of time, are piggy-backing their kite trip with other domestic travel.

I'm quite sure Spike has thought this one through.

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Feb 02, 18 9:24 am     Reply with quote

I would agree with Sasquatch. The one thing to note is that SPI has a bit of "scuz" factor ie the water in the sound is super salty and the gulf is also a little "scuzzy". The kiting can be very good though - especially if you are 1. a learner ( the sound is shallow and flat)or 2. really want the downwinders.

I like LV better - but mostly because I love mexico and the social aspects are really fun there.

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostSun Feb 25, 18 6:42 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great tips all, but American Airlines threw a wrench in the plan and cancelled the flight and rebooked us on a flight for a day later, wasting half the trip. Needless to say I took advantage of the full refund due to the maintenance-related delay.

Maybe some other time.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1249 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue Mar 20, 18 6:47 am    Re: Spi Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
True LV is magical and exotic compared to SPI from a cultural and cuisine standpoint.

La Ventana doesn't hold a candle to SPI in the $1 gas station breakfast taco arena...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: