Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Drysuits question: Ocean Rodeo Soul vs O'Neill Boost

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Jan 17, 18 9:01 am    Drysuits question: Ocean Rodeo Soul vs O'Neill Boost Reply with quote

Can anyone provide feedback on OR Soul vs O'Neill Boost drysuits?
I found the Boost in local store for $350, the OR Soul goes for $850 but from time to time you can find it for $400 on amazon. I wonder if it's worth to wait for the discount to hit (and sit down some sessions in the meantime) or if Boost is as reliable?
I do like the flashy colors (safety first) and the design of Soul though.

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostWed Jan 17, 18 1:29 pm     Reply with quote

I've owned both drysuits and currently have the Soul.
They are completely different beasts. The Boost is a no-frills baggy with zero options, other than I think internal suspenders. Can't recall if it had a moisture vent or not. It works fine, though.

The Soul is loaded with features, most importantly being a pee-zip. I'll never get another dry-suit without a pee-zip, so that alone is worth waiting for in my opinion. The Soul also seems to fit a little snugger, in a good way. A less baggy baggy, even though you have more material up top with the jacket and such. I really like the suit and think it's the best kiteboarding specific one I have seen.

I think the seals are the same on both.

I find that the OR breathable material does absorb water on the outer layer. So, it'll feel "wet" which is only a concern if you are standing on the beach between sessions. You get the evaporative cooling effect that I don't recall getting on the Boost. I think the Boost material didn't breathe as well (more sweat build up) but seemed to be perfectly comfortable standing in a cold wind between sessions. It's been a while, though, since I've owned the Boost. Haven't done a side by side. I've given this feedback to OR and they tell me to spray with a waterproof coating like Nikwak TX.Direct. I've done that a couple times to the directions on the product but I don't notice much of an improvement.

Overall the Soul is a better suit. You'll like it. If you have ants in the pants, though, you can find that Boost on sale as well. And it also seems that everybody knows someone in the wake industry so you can likely find it even cheaper if you poke around. Wink

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Jan 17, 18 2:54 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info @toddjb - one more question, did you use a neoprene hood (under the drysuit seal) or beanie to keep the head warm with the Boost?

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jan 17, 18 5:45 pm     Reply with quote

Ocean Rodeo has been making kite specific drysuits for a number of years. They have refined the design to make it easy to use and comfortable in all conditions. I am currently using the OR heat. it's the "no frills" drysuit. it has no hood, no pee zipper, no pockets. I like the simplicity of this suit. OR drysuits can be purchased either with socks integrated or with latex seals around your ankles. I have the socks and have to say its the best experience I've had with a drysuit. it's super easy to put on and never get water in my leg/feet area anymore. As for the other stuff I use to keep warm, I wear thick socks on my feet and on the outer side I use 5mm booties. I had to go up a full size to compensate for all the excess materials. I use 3mm gloves and a neoprene beanie.
FOr an under layer, I just picked up the OR polarfleece onesie from Windance and this is really all you need for an underlayer. today I went foiling at viento. I actually forgot my hood so used my wool beanie and it worked ok for an hour.
I've seen the Oniell drysuits and have to say they don't seem like the best fit for kiteboarding. My opinion is go with the OR suit for cold weather kiting.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostWed Jan 17, 18 6:19 pm     Reply with quote

Had the Boost first and the neoprene cuffs let too much water in. Too bad because the neoprene cuffs are comfy. I have the Soul now and it is dryer and superior as noted above. Come out to the Coast, the bays especially, and it’s as warm as the Gorge in May or June. No drysuit required. Nehalem boatramp is excellent east or SW all tides. Seaside’s Bay Sw or West at higher tide and Lot D obviously though it’s water is a bit colder.

kss

Since 24 Apr 2006
613 Posts
pdx
Addicted

PostWed Jan 17, 18 7:01 pm     Reply with quote

i've had the soul for the last 4 winters. chose the soul over the ion and the boost. i'm up for replacement and will be getting the heat for next winter. don't need the extras of the soul or the extra $200. in four years, i've probably used the pee hole 4 times. your winter sessions are also usually a bit shorter so going before you go usually suffices. you don't need the side pockets and you won't use the detachable hood. i had the cuffs on my soul and will get my heat with socks. quicker on and off.

oh, and for your neoprene hood, it goes over your drysuit neck seal. you want all your cuffs tight so you don't get your longjohns wet! water in your neoprene hood is no biggy and typical. good luck.

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostThu Jan 18, 18 7:01 am     Reply with quote

voy-tech wrote:
Thanks for the info @toddjb - one more question, did you use a neoprene hood (under the drysuit seal) or beanie to keep the head warm with the Boost?

I wear a helmet and the EXO Skullcap from Promotion is awesome underneath on the coldest days. If you don't wear a helmet, they also make a beanie. I used to wear a neoprene hood (outside the suit) before I had the skullcap but this is cleaner for me.

Now, I guess on the truly coldest days, a hood would be better. As I have the Soul now, I'll just pop the storm hood on (it is detachable) and throw that over my helmet to keep the neck shielded. I don't really like the hood, though, as when you wreck it can fill with water and become a sea anchor on you. It's nice when you don't plan on wrecking, though, or just to keep warm between sessions.

I will second the recommendation for the OR dry suit base layer. That thing is magic. I don't know what they did there. I used to use my snowboarding base layers, but nothing seems to work as good as their onesie, no matter what brand of suit you decide to buy.

I envy you guys and your tiny prostates that can get through the walk to the launch, a session or two, landing all your buddies, and that post session beer without needing to pee. Ahhhh, to be young. Smile Pee zip all the way. It'll change your life, man. Cool

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Jan 18, 18 1:29 pm    Interesting post Reply with quote

Lots of great information!
Last edited by Sasquatch on Thu Jan 18, 18 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostThu Jan 18, 18 1:34 pm     Reply with quote

Thank you all for all the feedback I'll hunt for the discount on OR gear, but if nothing comes up before early spring season I'll just get the Boost.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: