Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

New 3 Kite Slingshot Quiver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
snmhanson

Since 02 Jan 2018
2 Posts

PostThu Jan 04, 18 2:32 pm    New 3 Kite Slingshot Quiver Reply with quote

Looking for opinions on a three kite Slingshot quiver. My weight floats between 190-200 lbs and am hoping to cover winds of 12-35 mph. I ride both TT and SB, mostly in the Gorge, but also an occasional coast trip and I go to the Caribbean every year or two. Considering a 7 and 10 RPM and a 14 Rally. Is that spacing too much? Should I be looking at 7-9-12 or maybe 8-10-14? Also, does it make sense to go with a Rally for the larger kite to get a better low end on those light days, or should I stick with the same kite throughout?

Thanks for the help. I have been kiting for a few years and am getting pretty competent, but this is my first time upgrading my kites.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Jan 04, 18 3:18 pm     Reply with quote

10 RPM to 14 Rally is too big of gap.

10 RPM to 12 Rally might be a better solution.

The 12m Rally still has a ton of power. You could ride in 12mph winds (average)... But you won't be having much fun. At 200 lbs you will probably be maxing out your 12 Rally at 25mph gusts (not average).

Also - I prefer RPMs for my small kites and Rallys for my large.

I also have a turbine for my really light wind kite.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Jan 04, 18 4:35 pm     Reply with quote

more is better Laughing

maybe

7m & 9m RPM

and

12 Rally

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostThu Jan 04, 18 4:39 pm     Reply with quote

These are my kites and I have no issues going from the 10 to the 14. Also switching back and forth from the SS to the SB does allow more flexability in wind range.
6,8,10 SST and then a 14m Rally. Note that I use my 6m, you could always look for a used 6m. My 14m, I'm only useing this about 2 - 3 times a year here on the coast or Gorge. My 14m sees much more use when I travel.

My weight is 210. The 14m I can kite this on a TT when its averaging 18-19. This is why I go from a 10m to the 14. The 10m on a SB I can kite at 17 averaging.

Remember wind and kite size are not linear, the reson I can go from 10m to 14m

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Jan 04, 18 5:23 pm     Reply with quote

After further thought I have more comments.

If you are stuck with a 3 kite solution you might want to use two Rallys and one RPM.

Personally I prefer to ride my RPMs in high wind because they turn faster and have less latency which I prefer in swell. However the Rallys have a bigger range (and bigger boost for jumps).

If I only had 3 kites in the Gorge at your weight I might look at:
7 RPM
9 Rally
12 Rally

I would think that you would ride your 9 Rally 75% of the time in The Gorge.
Coast you would use your 12 Rally 75% of the time.
Traveling you would use 12 Rally most of the time.

I feel the gap from my 12m Rally to a 17M turbine is smaller than the gap from my 10m Rally to 12m Rally. I'm heavier than you but my top end (gusts) is as follows:

9M RPM -> 43 Mph Gusts
10m Rally -> 40 mph Gusts
12M Rally -> 30 mph Gusts
17M Turbine -> 25 mph Gusts

Of course these are all fully depowered and time to get off the water ratings. Not hey it's gusting what should I rig ratings...

*** Edited to add 9m RPM for Reference ***
Point being that my top end for my 9 rpm and 10 rally are nearly the same, but the 10 rally has a much lower bottom end.

Last edited by bigjohn on Thu Jan 04, 18 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostThu Jan 04, 18 5:35 pm     Reply with quote

Reading what BigJohn said,
I would comment that the Rally has more wind range for the average person than the SST. I found the Rally will depower with less bar movment that my SST. BUT, BUT the SST is a much better kite for me than the Rally. I really enjoy the drifing capabilty of the SST, less bar pressure and much more. That being said the Rally kites rock!!

If you kite in the winter, come on out and try my kites.

Also, I like what BigJohn said about 7m,9m and then a 12m
With these and the TT / SB you are covered.

snmhanson

Since 02 Jan 2018
2 Posts

PostThu Jan 04, 18 6:37 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the great replies. A little more info: Right now I'm have 6-8-10-12 North EVOs. I am on the 10 probably 50% of the time and it is my favorite kite to be on. The 12 I am on maybe 30% of the time and I also really enjoy it. The 8 is the remaining 20% and it is fine, but I like the bigger kites more. I didn't pump up the 6 at all last year and in the 3 years I've had it I can count the number of times I've used it on one hand. On the flip side, there have a few days when I wanted a bit more than the 12 - like those hot summer days when the wind tops out at 12-15 in the afternoon/evening. Also, I typically travel to the Caribbean about once per year and a big kite can come in useful down there - especially in the summer.

That said, I think I'm leaning towards a 7-9-12 setup and then maybe going for a 15 or 17 later if necessary. Just need to decide on the model now. I know the Rally would be closest to my EVOs, but the EVO is also the only kite I've ever really ridden so that doesn't necessarily mean much. The SST sounds like a cool kite, but I worry that it would be lacking in low end and boost/jumpability for me. The RPMs look like fun progressive kites that would allow me to push my limits a bit more. The Rallys seems like the well balanced do everything kite - but not specifically focused on any one thing.

Would it be crazy to do a 7 SST, 9 RPM and a 12 Rally? I figure I don't have to worry about the low end as much when it's blowing 25+ and will probably be riding swells more than jumping so the depower and drift of the SST might be nice. At 20 knots I am still plenty powered on a 9, but more in a state of mind to try some new tricks so maybe the RPM will be the kite for that range. Around 15 knots I just want low end power to get upwind and enjoy being on the water so the Rally seems like it would be perfect there. Does that make any sense or am I making it too complicated?

Thanks!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Jan 04, 18 6:45 pm     Reply with quote

go for the 7, 9, 12.

7, 9 RPM's

12 Ralley

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jan 04, 18 6:48 pm     Reply with quote

A 9 RPM is not as much power as your 10 EVO. Have you tried all 3 types of SS kites?
RPM's are great but they need to be powered up - I don't enjoy them when they are at the low end of their wind range.
The RPM, SST, and Rally's are quite a bit different from each other..... I cant imagine a quiver with one each they are so different.
The new generation of SST's have good low end.
My vote - 7, 9, 12 SSTs.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Jan 04, 18 7:04 pm     Reply with quote

Very very accurate comments if you're set on a 3 kite quiver.

Most of us ride 80% of the time on 2 sizes because board choice is probably more important during the parking lot decision process.

Four kites gives you peace of mind your time on the water is a given and no waste of drive time. For your weight: 8, 10, 12, 14 (specific model based on your riding style and 14 Rally/15 Turbine for sub 12 conditions)

The reason I prefer a 2M gap for the river is what you put in the air at the Event Site vs what you need up at the Wunderbar or Hatch can be 3 different stories so smaller gaps are more manageable when conditions change. A 3M gap might lead you to being to light or too lit regardless of model because a Rally, SST or RPM all come nicely equipped with a tea-bag mode.

The good news is the Slingy kite market for all models, new and used, dominate the NW classifieds to match your riding style and bank account while giving you the added comfort their shizzle doesn't break and they hold their value. Enjoy.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Jan 04, 18 8:27 pm     Reply with quote

A little off subject but perhaps useful.

I find that I like to ride the RPM pretty much fully powered all the time. At least until I am so lit that I'm hot barring it. Then I usually just pull the depower and head straight in. They will ride fine depowered but it kind of defeats the purpose of flying an RPM.

However, I find that in gusty conditions the Rally needs to be depowered quite a bit. They have so much raw power that gusty conditions make you feel like you're being jerked around like a rag doll when running @ full power. In smooth conditions however run full power and launch big.

Rallys are a bit sluggish turning wise.

When jumping Rallys I always release my bar pressure while at the apex of my jump so that I can pull it back in while on my downward descent to generate kite motion. Failing to do so can sometimes stall the kite which leads to hard landings.

Don't know anything about the SST. Afraid to try because I already have too many kites
Very Happy

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostThu Jan 04, 18 9:39 pm     Reply with quote

BigJohn
You need to borrow my kites man !!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: