Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Oregon Coast Kiteboarding
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jan 03, 18 6:36 pm     Reply with quote

door wrote:
WindSki wrote:
macgruber
our forum does not have a simple way for the 10+ people in the winter to get updates.

Anyone have suggestions?

Just curious what kind of site you would be looking for to solve this problem, what kind of features would you want?

I can most likely create a website for this, that would be solely for the Oregon Coast

1) Don't change NWKITE please. I love it. It's fast and a great NW kiting community BB. I wouldn't mind ads to help cover costs but I appreciate the simplicity of the site. It's not really a social site, but then again I don't think that is it's purpose.
2) FB is OK, but doesn't really solve the issue at hand in my opinion. Plus the whole lack of transparency can be tough for individuals who would prefer to keep their kiting life separate from their employment and family lives.... Not to mention social engineering hacking!!!

Kiting is a social sport. Partly for safety (kiting in numbers). Partly because it's nice to have someone around to launch/land you. Partly because if you did a trick and nobody saw it... did it really happen? And partly because kite kooks like to hang around other kite kooks.

Features that would be nice in a social kite site:

1) It would be nice to have some sort of visibility regarding how many (if any) other kiters are at a particular launch site.

2) It would be nice to be able to organize group board meetings (of the kiteboard kind).

3) It would be nice for kiters to be able to meet other kiters (perhaps based upon schedules, styles, or location) as sort of a kitebuddy meetup.

4) It would be nice to have some sort of auto flagging system when you arrive at a launch spot so your buddys know you are there.

It seems to me that an Oregon Coast FB page accomplishes some of these things, but is not really structured enough to be successful. Also, it only features one area... The Oregon Coast.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Jan 03, 18 7:33 pm     Reply with quote

bigjohn
I agree. My request or post, was just to gather the 10+ people who kite in the winter on the Oregon Coast. I made the Facebook page for the coast and thought some might use it in the summer, some times. More just for messaging back and forths vs using text messages. I love NWkite, its simple, easy and just fits our needs perfectly. I'm not really asking for any changes, just offering my $$ help to make sure it goes FOREVER.

You should visit the coast in the winter, it rocks

Jbruck

Since 17 Jun 2016
43 Posts
Eugene, OR

PostWed Jan 03, 18 7:52 pm     Reply with quote

@Windski last year some folks made an app-based service that was around for a hot minute but aimed to do a lot of what you're looking for (and I agree we need), called WeKITE:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.megaloop.wekite&hl=en

But it sucked because no one used it and now their website is down and the app is missing from the Apple app store so I imagine it's not long for this world.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jan 03, 18 7:58 pm     Reply with quote

WindSki wrote:

You should visit the coast in the winter, it rocks

Not knockin' what you've done. Just throwing ideas around for possible improvements.

Also, I'm on the DL (Disabled List not Down Low...) right now. Hope to be back kiting with you in June. Looks like my dry suit won't get any use this winter Crying or Very sad

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jan 03, 18 8:17 pm     Reply with quote

Jbruck wrote:
@Windski last year some folks made an app-based service that was around for a hot minute but aimed to do a lot of what you're looking for (and I agree we need), called WeKITE:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.megaloop.wekite&hl=en

But it sucked because no one used it and now their website is down and the app is missing from the Apple app store so I imagine it's not long for this world.

Description looks great... I think they lost me at
Quote:

Add 3 spots and receive one month free trial of WeKITE Premium! Add most spots by the end of 2017 and Win a brand new Kite!

These sort of apps only work if ALL your friends use them. Some people might be willing to pay to use, but I can guarantee you that many/most of my kite buddys will not pay for premium features.

Advertising on the other hand makes total sense to me.

Also, I would like to know that a company is not using/selling my data for other purposes (especially with GPS involved). This should be stated in BOLD up front!

lubomm

Since 15 Aug 2007
247 Posts
Hood
Stoked

PostThu Jan 04, 18 4:50 pm     Reply with quote

The oregon coast windsurfers have a FB group and are pretty active. I windusrf and kitesurf and see useful posts in the windsurfing group. I think it is useful to subscribe to the windsurfing group even if you only kitesurf. Trudy Lary is especially knowledgeable about the spots and forecasts and she posts often.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jan 17, 18 6:09 pm     Reply with quote

no ads! I prefer nwkite the way it is.
I like the fact I don't get hit with a shit ton of notifications when there's a new post.
facebook is nice but I prefer to go find info and not have it notify me every five minutes.
I know there's a way to turn it off as I have already done that to most groups.
as for winter kiting, I go kiting just about every day its windy as foiling has changed the way we can get out during the cooler months. it's not for everybody so I keep it amongst friends who respect that. the last thing I want to hear is "man you guys are crazy" or " it's so cold"
so what works for us is FB messenger. it's like a group text but whats nice is it comes through on my computer as well as my phone. I can turn the notifications off on this program as well
There are quite a few members on the sauvies FB page so it's worth it to post up on there as some of those kiters still hit it especially when the east winds line up for ft stevens

MIXWELL

Since 10 Mar 2007
496 Posts
LGP COUGAR HUNTING ChEETO SLAYER
Windmixer

PostFri Feb 02, 18 1:09 pm     Reply with quote

nwkite is undeniably the best forum in Z world!!!! Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: