Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Tamarindo Costa Rica?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostWed Dec 20, 17 8:17 am    Tamarindo Costa Rica? Reply with quote

Traveling light to Costa Rica. We're going there to surf in January. I thought I'd bring one kite... 12 wave sst.
Anyone with experience there?
I know north 1.5hrs is kiteable with schools and such. If I go there I could probably rent gear.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Dec 20, 17 9:59 am     Reply with quote

Many years ago I spent a winter in CR and traveled all up and down the Pacific coast in January.
There was no wind at any of the surf spots. Zero - didn't see a white cap except up north at Witch's Rock and Bahia Salinas.
IMO - it's more fun to focus on surfing. Jaco was a cool spot to visit.

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostWed Dec 20, 17 12:59 pm     Reply with quote

my family did a 6 week trip to CR a few summers ago. There is a lake (north part) that is known for windsurfing. It needs to be dry season I think. Some kiters went to an ocean spot (upper NW corner). Lots of surfing possibilities and its the warmest water I have ever swam in...

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostWed Dec 20, 17 8:38 pm     Reply with quote

Wow, set the way back machine. Did a windsurf trip to Lake Arenal in 1996 or so, was more like water ski weather but enjoyed the volcano eruptions and NYE partying. Had two nuking days after we got back from road trip to Tamarindo for long boarding and Playa Hermosa. Seemed pretty wind-sheltered in Tamarindo but we enjoyed the beaches and waist- to chest-high breakers.

butch simones

Since 30 Sep 2016
59 Posts
N.H.

PostThu Dec 21, 17 6:12 am     Reply with quote

A couple of years ago we went to Lake Arenal in Costa Rica And it blew the 10 days we were there . We rented gear and sailed with an outfit called Tico Winds and the equipment and owners were great . The owners names are Peter and Crystal , super nice people . It's pretty remote so you'll need to rent a car . WE have friends that went to Bahia Salinas for 2 months and it was windy quite often also very remote and you'll need a car . I would go back to Tico Winds in a heartbeat On the hill behind the launch site are hundreds of wind turbines , usually a sign of good winds .
Butch

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Dec 21, 17 6:55 am     Reply with quote

Liberia, in the NW part of Costa Rico is famous for it's very strong winds.

KOF

Since 30 Mar 2011
51 Posts
Seattle

PostThu Dec 21, 17 11:20 am     Reply with quote

No wind in Tamarindo but great surfing!

kiterbiker

Since 12 Jun 2010
65 Posts

PostThu Dec 21, 17 11:52 am     Reply with quote

Bahia Salinas had super strong wind, bring a 5 or 7m. I flew a 9m once in the evening when it was getting light(My go to gorge kite...). Super gusty, but lots of wind and was lit on my 7 for about 4 days straight. The beach was pretty good for launching, but a little on the narrow side during high tide. If you're on the more East end of the bay, watch out for the trees that are reaching out waiting to rip some kites up, because water line to tree branches is less than a normal kite line length. And do the sting ray shuffle, but overall was a decent spot, especially at low tide and you can find some pretty flat water spots. Also a decent spot for people having a hard time staying upwind, as it has a good J shape of a beach with a bail out zone. There are no waves, so surf searching peoples will not have find this a great destination spot if you're hoping for waves.

Lake Arenal was super choppy, the launch was mostly clear, but there is a steep bank to the water was a pretty steep mud bank. Didn't seem like a big watch out for each other vibe you get at most spots. My girlfriend got stuck holding her overpowered 7m for about 10min before I had to come in, self land to catch her kite because one else seemed to care to help a cute girl tapping her head to land a kite. Not a good spot if you can't go up wind or have issues, not great downwind bail out areas.

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostFri Dec 22, 17 1:34 am    Thanks All! Reply with quote

Great info. Thanks for the replies.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Dec 25, 17 11:28 am     Reply with quote

Yes, Tico Winds at Lake Arenal was great, but again that was back in the 90's so it's sad to hear about the negative kiting experiences there. Super choppy when windy, but we just had bad luck with no wind when we were there.

In Tamarindo we rented longboards from Iguana Surf. I imagine these days there are plenty of surfboard rental opportunities there.

Favorite conversation with Costa Rican police officer:
"Senor, the fine for speeding is twenty American dollars."
"But Officer, I only have a $5 bill left for cash."
"Senor, the fine for speeding is ten American dollars."
"Do you take a credit card? Or a traveler's cheque?"
"Senor, the fine for speeding is five American dollars."

docwild

Since 02 Sep 2015
103 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jan 03, 18 3:21 pm     Reply with quote

I kited two days at Salinas Bay, flatwater, good beg-int spot. There are two kites schools that you may be able to rent from (one at Ecoplaya and the other at Blue Dream). It's the same wind that comes off the Arenal volcano and across Lake Arenal. otherwise, there doesn't seem to be an decent setup for wind until you get down to Panama.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: