Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Dec Rooster Booster time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Dec 05, 17 10:35 am    Dec Rooster Booster time Reply with quote

Rooster is sunny and firing right now as we speak. I think water launches will be needed as it appears the grass land is flooded. Too cold for me though.

ezryder111

Since 24 Dec 2012
131 Posts
SE Portland
Stoked

PostTue Dec 05, 17 3:14 pm     Reply with quote

Looks like PDX or even Lot D will work on this easterly round. Not sure I'm prepared for the temps either though.

LJ

Since 20 Nov 2013
131 Posts
PDX but HR Homegrown
Stoked

PostWed Dec 06, 17 4:48 am     Reply with quote

5m yesterday at rooster was pretty good, 8m at Rowena last Saturday and 7m at rooster the week before all have been steady wind although a bit of a death grip at times in the gusts, still not that cold with the fun factor way up.

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Dec 06, 17 10:44 pm     Reply with quote

This time of year, Larry breaks out his spring suit - usually he’s just sporting board shorts and a rash guard.
- Bob

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Dec 08, 17 1:00 pm     Reply with quote

Rooster 55 - 75. Any takers?
Windiest I've seen in 25 years.

rooster.gif 
   rooster 2.jpg 

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostMon Dec 11, 17 8:31 pm    Nehalem Bay on nuking easterlies Reply with quote

The boat ramp at Nehalem Bay State Park has worked this week. Ikitesurf only showed 15 but that was the lull, I’d say it averaged 23 which is what Sandlake and the Astoria Bridge read too. Nehalem isn’t tide dependent and has clean sand beach on the south side of the boat ramp. I went 3 out of the last 5 mornings and it seems like 10 to noon is best. I was on 9-10m then 12m till 4 then it rises again. Probably 8m at 7am but cold air probably 45. Got to 57 around 2 everyday. The water is just a bit colder than the ocean, probably 50. Quite even wind and very small 6” whitecaps. Side-on wind and 4 miles of beach to collect anyone downwind before the jetty

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostMon Dec 11, 17 8:57 pm    Map Reply with quote

We pretty much stayed between the boatramp and the far point where 101 turns sharply. Wind was northeast, no discernible current but that would change with heavy rain

5FCD4804-CF01-452C-A28D-C034FBBC8C61.png 

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Dec 12, 17 8:20 am     Reply with quote

Any thoughts on depth, submerged whatever for those on foil?

Thx
Eric

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Dec 12, 17 10:26 am     Reply with quote

It looks pretty shallow, but if you had a strong non-carbon foil it's very soft so you could feel your way around.

Nehalem1.jpg 
   Nehalem2.jpg 
   Nehalem3.jpg 

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostWed Dec 13, 17 8:59 pm     Reply with quote

I saw that sand dune you took the picture from about half a mile north of the boat ramp. Midway between them is a gravel parking lot for about 10 cars that is only 100 feet to the beach. I explored around on my surfboard though and it seemed the strongest wind was .25 miles north of the boat ramp to .5 south. A foil could keep going I'm sure. Your photos look like low tide and show the sandbar coming off the east shore point. On a SW storm, that sandbar can make some smooth water behind it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: