Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

what drone should i buy for my son

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Nov 26, 17 10:21 am    what drone should i buy for my son Reply with quote

what kind of drone are you guys sticking your gopro/camera gear on? Im thinking something in the $1k range

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Nov 26, 17 12:53 pm     Reply with quote

I recently got the DJ Mavic Pro and have been happy with it so far. Its right at your price point, though you'll probably want to pick up an extra battery or two. There's lots of Youtube videos to get your son started flying, but you do want to proceed with caution. Its easy for the drone to get away from you when you're first learning... so wide open spaces to start, simple maneuvers until you start getting the hang of it.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostSun Nov 26, 17 4:37 pm    Re: what drone should i buy for my son Reply with quote

OG wrote:
what kind of drone are you guys sticking your gopro/camera gear on? Im thinking something in the $1k range

Are you looking for any adults to adopt? All kidding aside, I would get him a cheap Hubsan off of Amazon to learn with before sinking $1k into a high end drone. He needs some basic flying skills just in case all the automatic stuff fails. Its a lot easier to watch your $35 drone fly away never to be seen again than a high end one.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

kassak

Since 18 May 2010
107 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Nov 26, 17 5:25 pm     Reply with quote

I know it’s not nearly as cool but I think these guys are super fun and you learn so much about flight. They run on a tiny lipo battery and you spend most flight time with engine off just gliding and riding thermals.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/EFLU2980?KPID=EFLU2980&CAWELAID=320011980000123186&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=37462622311&CATCI=pla-382072952365&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8oq1iMvd1wIVioV-Ch0dQQy3EAQYASABEgILaPD_BwE

They even make them stock with first person viewer cameras.

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Nov 26, 17 7:43 pm     Reply with quote

Kassak, That looks like an awesome floater.

Consider the Bixler 2 as the prop is protected from crashes.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingr-tm-bixlerr-tm-2-epo-1500mm-ready-to-fly-w-optional-flaps-mode-2-rt.html

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostMon Nov 27, 17 10:10 am     Reply with quote

Hood River has an RC flying park. It's free & has a runway. Not busy either.
Fun with a glider on a no wind day, hard in winds.
Shop local at Hodd River Hobbys for this plane for $99.
https://www.dromida.com/airplanes/dida1050-sky-cruiser-2/index.php

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Nov 27, 17 12:21 pm     Reply with quote

My bro bought this direct (not amazon) from China AND LOVES IT. Kinda the opposite of buying local. HRH is a great shop.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9QHWSG/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1TUR4YZQ07MFP

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostTue Nov 28, 17 11:44 am     Reply with quote

Is your son more interested in flying / racing the drone or arial photo / video stuff? I'm still super new to drones but I've found the DJI spark to be a really amazing little machine. The automatic features are so good I dont even connect the remote for most of the shots I take with it and the camera is fantastic. The Mavic looks like its just a little bit better in every way. That said if he's more interested in flying fast Im sure there are more exiting options.

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostThu Nov 30, 17 10:52 am     Reply with quote

Consider getting him the DJI Spark. It's $500 (more if you add remote and spare batteries), highly capable, and less likely to injure himself or someone else if it crashes.

That said, I have the Mavic Pro and love it. You can get that, complete, now as a refurb for $699. Full warranty. You'll still want to pick up a couple extra batteries.

One note is get it now if you want it. I predict the drone laws/rules will change a lot next year as this is the first holiday season we've had with highly capable <$1000 drones. There are going to be a lot under Christmas trees this year. By summer I bet many small communities will be complaining about the amount of them buzzing over their heads and we'll see significant local restrictions quickly. Federal restrictions will take longer.

(Have fun and remind your kid to fly considerate and not linger around other people for extended periods of time.) Wink

door

Since 21 Dec 2017
8 Posts
Pacific City
Kook

PostThu Dec 21, 17 6:23 pm     Reply with quote

For $500 new, the DJI Phantom 3 Standard is an all around great drone with good video quality, for beginner to intermediate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: