Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

board bag limits on airlines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostWed Nov 15, 17 1:18 pm    board bag limits on airlines Reply with quote

I am about to buy a coffin board bag, to start using on a trip to Portugal this summer. According to one of the surf sites, airlines vary from 6'0 to 6'2" to 6'5" to 6'6" etc...

My kite surfboard is 5'11".

The Channel Island CX3 that I want only seems available in the 6'6". I am wondering if it will be a problem since bags are usually 2-3" over listed size. Do the airlines really care? If the bag is labeled at 6'6" will they assume its 6'6" or measure it?

I am wondering if I should just get the 6'6" or find a different bag that is 6'0". I like the Channel Island since I already have their carry on (wheeled) bag that attaches to the coffin bag. Maybe it would also work with other bags? Thoughts?

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostWed Nov 15, 17 2:11 pm     Reply with quote

If you are bringing a board bag of 7' or less, then you should encounter no problems with airlines because of length. The big limit anymore that I am understanding from the airline counter clerks is the weight. 50 lbs seems to be the standard within the industry, if over that you pay extra by significant amounts $. I have noticed a couple of airlines with higher max weights, but I fly Alaska a lot and 50 lbs is theirs.

A counter clerk can quickly and easily weight a bag on the scale vs hopping over the counter with a tape measure that is hidden in a drawer and fumble around in the crowd and try and measure. Then argue with a passenger that claims the bag can be squished down a couple of inches to meet the maximum.

50 lbs is fine, 51 lbs is not fine and will cost more. Plain and simple for a counter clerk.

Exclamation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: