Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Curious

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
honda1

Since 11 Sep 2013
183 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Oct 25, 17 9:54 am    Curious Reply with quote

I went to Stevenson yesterday for the first time after getting blown out at rooster. Have to give special thanks to ezryder111 and “The “Dangler” for amazing camaraderie and showing me the ropes. I thought the launch looked intimidating but after watching a fellow kiter launch i decided it was like any other launch. Had a superb time, wind was great and everyone was so friendly. Thanks!!

I was curious however and this is an honest question . Why doesn’t the city of Stevenson do anything to improve that launch or there waterfront area. I know there are many that like it that way and I’m fine with it but what about the summer crowds and tourists? Or do people stay away due to the nature of the launch. Just seems that a city would want to capitalize on the economics of all the wind enthusiasts and make improvements. I was thinking of the improvements Hood has made to their waterfront, Arlington made an improvement,and while there are many moving parts Lyle would like to grant access to the sandbar legally. Just seems potentially an accident waiting to happen, but that is kiting every time and anywhere.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Oct 25, 17 11:10 am     Reply with quote

Honda1 I think you made a very accurate assessment of the situation at Stevenson. Yes, the launch is dangerous. Ask the Dangler sometime about the accidents he's seen there. I don't even go to Stevenson that much and I've seen more near-misses there than I can count and at least two serious accidents requiring medical care.

But I think you are also right that people like it that way. Stevenson is an advanced launch which means that you don't have a beginner shit-show there in the summer like at the sand bar. One of the things I love about kiting Stevenson is that people are well behaved, friendly and generally courteous on the water because they aren't pre-occupied with learning to fly the kite.

I guess the other issue that comes to mind is that there isn't a good "out" on west winds like the sand bar locations, so even if the launch was better it still wouldn't be a beginner friendly location and attract the same hoards that go to the Event Site in the summer.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Oct 25, 17 11:11 am     Reply with quote

While I don't kite Stevenson, I think it is perfect just the way it is. I personally think it is one of the most beautiful places to kite with the mountains and greenery all around. The wind quality is some of the best in the gorge; I like swell or waves and so I head to the coast usually. If I ever get into foiling, I might hit up Stevenson more.

Variety is "the spice of life" so said the Chinese, and Stevenson definitely is different from the rest. Smaller more intimate feel, total sun lovers dream with the Northern shore bank and southern exposure, no hike, finite amount of space to rig and launch and land, difficult launch which usually takes a launcher or lander. Less tourist, more competent riders. Much different from the event site/sand bar aka crowd bar. Also much different from Arlington, Rosey, Rufus, Fight Club, Secret Spot, Super-SS, SuperSuperSS, Rooster, Sauvies, Woodland/Kalama-ramma, Jones and a few others I won't mention.

So I'm very happy the way it is right now; "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

If I recall, someone did some research into maybe improving the launch and I think there is a lot of $ involved and red tape. I think a lot had to do with habitat and fish health. If you are interested, use the search function on this site. I also recall maybe even some type of temporary dock being involved/proposed.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostWed Oct 25, 17 1:03 pm    Under Construction Now Reply with quote

Did you notice the piles of dirt and the construction site ? There was a sign up earlier this year detailing the new water front . It's going to be the new event site for Portland / West Siders !! Very Happy

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostWed Oct 25, 17 1:14 pm    Nope Reply with quote

I was told new beach will not have access for kiters. Sounds good

Leave the launch alone. The reason stevie is great is the lack of anonymity. There arent 100 random newbies cycling through each season.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Oct 25, 17 3:38 pm     Reply with quote

The Stevenson crew is utterly awesome. No attitude other than helpfulness to be found.

jayala

Since 30 Apr 2013
115 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostThu Oct 26, 17 11:50 am    Blackberry Beach Reply with quote

What happened to Blackberry Beach on the Oregon side? I remember a post about it years ago but never hear anyone mention it

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostThu Oct 26, 17 12:33 pm    Re: Blackberry Beach Reply with quote

jayala wrote:
What happened to Blackberry Beach on the Oregon side? I remember a post about it years ago but never hear anyone mention it

Overtaken by blackberry bushes Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: