Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Maui van rental wanted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostTue Oct 17, 17 9:47 am    Maui van rental wanted Reply with quote

Anyone got leads for me to rent a van?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Oct 17, 17 9:55 am     Reply with quote

You sure you need a van? Taking sup's?
I get the station wagon - perfect for 2 people and kite gear.

Sergio Salaparuta
Manaloha Rent a Car
They deliver the van right outside the baggage terminal.
Same for dropoff.

Phone:+1 (808) 2838779
200 Waiehu Beach Road, 96793 Wailuku
Email:info@manaloharentacar.net
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Manaloha-Rent-a-Car/473208789419510

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostTue Oct 17, 17 10:30 am     Reply with quote

Thanks - im on it!
Station wagon could totally work-
but yeah taking sup as well
Appreciate it!

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Oct 17, 17 10:41 am     Reply with quote

Check with STORMRIDER...he used to rent his van and all the amenities...

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostTue Oct 17, 17 10:58 am     Reply with quote

Are used to have Stormrider Sean number but I don't have it anymore

Chipotle

Since 26 Mar 2011
70 Posts

PostTue Oct 17, 17 7:36 pm    Maui Vans Reply with quote

We used Maui Vans, it was great. Came with a cooler and beach chairs. Awesome deal!

B MONEY

Since 08 May 2008
102 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostWed Oct 25, 17 3:08 pm     Reply with quote

Not to get too far off topic but does anybody have any tips for van camping sites on Maui? This place is my backup plan but I would love to find a free spot close to a surf break.

https://www.campolowalu.com/rv-car-camping1/

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Oct 25, 17 3:33 pm     Reply with quote

B MONEY wrote:
Not to get too far off topic but does anybody have any tips for van camping sites on Maui? This place is my backup plan but I would love to find a free spot close to a surf break.

At $20 a night with all those amenities how could you go wrong.

Here is a post on camping on Maui. . . draw your own conclusions:

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-41018.html&highlight=[url]

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Oct 26, 17 7:55 am     Reply with quote

B MONEY wrote:

If you're talking about free camping - Maui is not friendly for free van camping.
If you're on a budget - there's cheap camping on the beach just south of camp olawalu. This is the thousand peaks area and is a nice beach with many surf breaks in front of your camp spot. This is wheer I would van camp if I was so inclined.
The camp sites have no amenities. Just a place to pull off the road adjacent to the beach - but you'll be at a great beach with a beginner friendly surf spot.

This is a west side beach - it doesn't get big swell in fall/winter but it has fun small waves and has easy access to Lahaina.

If you want north shore surf spots - I don't know of any camping around Paia or Kanaha.

I'd only recommend this option if you leave nothing at the site during the day when you're away. There's no security and if you leave a tent and/or personal equipment - unpredictable results could occur.

https://www.mauicounty.gov/Facilities/Facility/Details/146

https://www.mauicounty.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/98206

This is one of the day spots adjacent to the camping.
The road to Lahaina is 30 feet behind you.

Laird

1596980_10204138498975041_7562968000698438714_o (640x360).jpg 

B MONEY

Since 08 May 2008
102 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostThu Oct 26, 17 8:11 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Laird! That looks great. I'll have a van so no need to leave anything unattended. When you say "cheap camping" is that because you have to get a permit from the state department or something?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Oct 26, 17 8:23 am     Reply with quote

B MONEY wrote:
Thanks Laird! That looks great. I'll have a van so no need to leave anything unattended. When you say "cheap camping" is that because you have to get a permit from the state department or something?

Yes - click on the links. Maui county park system.
Not sure you need to fill out the application in advance but you must go to the county office and pay/register.

Note - no camping on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

danf

Since 12 Jun 2009
106 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Oct 26, 17 1:35 pm    north shore vans Reply with quote

A buddy of mine moved to Maui to do this if you are looking for a camper van.

https://www.northshorevans.com/

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Oct 26, 17 2:02 pm    Re: north shore vans Reply with quote

danf wrote:
A buddy of mine moved to Maui to do this if you are looking for a camper van.

https://www.northshorevans.com/

Wow - great website and business!

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostSun Oct 29, 17 8:36 pm     Reply with quote

Ask the infamous Jacob B about camping at kanaha. Not a safe idea.What I would do is drive in the rich neighborhoods around sprecks and park in front of an empty house or just on the street in general. Hawaii generally has a pretty good separation of classes and no crackheads are likely to be anywhere. Last time I surfed Spartans at outside sprecks I met some hippies from New Jersey at the beach Park who were doing that because they tried to beach camp and got Their car broken into. Just have street smarts and you should be fine, Hawaii is the one place that violent crime is easy to avoid.

Baygullbites

Since 15 Aug 2016
18 Posts
Hood river

PostMon Oct 30, 17 5:33 pm    Camping Reply with quote

Can attest to Olowalu! Stayed there in July and August, it's pricey for camping ($20, per person) but a really nice spot and nearby hotels are much, much more. Super clean bathrooms and pretty incredible outdoor showers that have hot, hot water and an open ceiling to the stars. Lots of roosters, but also lots of free papayas (at least when we were there!). Seemed very safe.

There were many vans camped at spots near Olowalu, as mentioned, looked like quite a few locals to me. Rumor has it if you stick a fishing pole in the sand, no one will bug you too much.

Kanaha, as of August 2017 was closed to camping at all. I've not heard the best of things about Maui County Beach Parks (Kauai's on the other hand are WONDERFUL).

If you want to know any details feel free to message. We were in Maui for about a month this summer camping/kiting/traveling. Olowalu worked the best for us because of a convenient location and great facilities.

PDXF

Since 10 Sep 2008
116 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Nov 03, 17 7:22 pm     Reply with quote

Don't rent from Ki*o's unless you want a negative experience.
I showed up at my rented van at 4pm to find that it had a, sitting on the rim, flat. It took Maria (after hours gal, the only cool person there I've talked with) 2 hours to bring me another ride. I let that sit for a week and decided to go by their shop because the AC went out and to get the key combo for the vehicle I was driving. The manager, Daniel, said that it was odd that all they had to do was to fill the tire with air and it was good (if you rented a red minivan from Kimo's and the rear tire went flat on you might make a ruckus). The AC thing they said they couldn't help me, I rented an older vehicle and that's the way it is. I've rented from them for 5 years, no more. Try out the newer, hungrier, rental car companies.

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostSat Nov 04, 17 3:05 am     Reply with quote

If you plan on doing Maui on the cheap, by attempting to van camp on your kiting trip; you will be paying for it someway.

Some of the suggestions are rather humorous tho....remember Aloha means to give, not to take freely....don’t reinforce the “haole” stigma, be respectful!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: