Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

La Ventana car or shuttle?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
its_kite:30

Since 29 May 2009
108 Posts
White Salmon/ Beaverton
Stoked

PostFri Sep 22, 17 8:06 am    La Ventana car or shuttle? Reply with quote

I am trying to figure out what is the best way to go for getting the fam from airport (SJD) to La V. I have read the beginners guide (thanks for that!) and it almost seems like a wash for the shuttle vs car. I was quoted $368 for the car through BBB I have read good reviews about them keeping to quoted price no extras. We are a family of 4, however, my parents are going as well and have already secured a small car. I don't think we will need wheels except for just getting up to La V, we are staying in a house in town the week of Thanksgiving. Any advice appreciated.

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostFri Sep 22, 17 8:30 am     Reply with quote

Dude, you are on vacation with the fam and the inlaws. Rent a damn car already, you will need it.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Sep 22, 17 8:40 am     Reply with quote

Scriffler wrote:
Dude, you are on vacation with the fam and the inlaws. Rent a damn car already, you will need it.

Agreed, i used a shuttle and was very happy with it, however i was also ok to walk 20min one way to the saturday market and 10min to Baja Joe's. Not sure all family members would be ok with that. Plus car gives you options to try other food joints in El Sargento, it will also allow you to do downwinders (perfect with non-kiting family that can take the car back to the downwind beach).

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 22, 17 2:36 pm     Reply with quote

My first three trips there no car. It was pretty cool walking everywhere with my kids and wife. Walk to market/dinner/etc. Family time.

You really don't need a car there if budget, or whatever is a concern.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostFri Sep 22, 17 4:17 pm     Reply with quote

Another advantage of a car is you can drive the family up to LaPaz and go on a whale shark snorkel trip.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Sep 24, 17 10:15 am     Reply with quote

Get a car and use it to do a little late night hot dog shopping.

Some of the best food joints open up in LV and ES at night time. Just gotta drive around a bit and look for the food stands that pop up outta nowhere. Isn't the same every night though. Seems to me that 9 or 10pm was the optimal time.

Look for the lights and the locals. Bring Pesos and don't expect them to be able to change big bills.

*Edit*
Tip - In ES sometimes there are joints off the main drag. You can find some great joints a few streets west on the dirt streets.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostSun Sep 24, 17 4:00 pm     Reply with quote

I've been known to indulge in a deluxe dog or two through the season!

www.freeridekiting.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: