Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

La Ventana Bay Resort Experiences?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
CAK86

Since 08 Aug 2015
51 Posts

PostMon Sep 04, 17 8:23 am    La Ventana Bay Resort Experiences? Reply with quote

Hello,

My spouse and I are planning a trip to La Ventana this winter. We both kiteboard and looking to stay at La Ventana Bay Resort because we can use their gear for what looks like a decent price (gear+lodging 7 days $1250/pp). Does anyone have experience staying at this resort and using their kites and boards? Right now we only have 3 kites (7, 10, 12m) between the both of us and we will both want to kite at the same time.

Please post your reviews, any recommendations, etc. Thanks!

purdyd

Since 27 Nov 2006
41 Posts

PostMon Sep 04, 17 10:15 am     Reply with quote

Here?

http://www.ventanabay.com

I've always had a good time there. Been a couple of years since I have been back.

It is north iof la ventana, actually just north of el Sargento, and relatively secluded and away from the scene.

There is a lot of beach, especially just north. I always felt the wind came up a bit earlier than to the south. It can be a little more gusty if there is west in the wind.

Very clean water but you need to be a bit careful going in and out due to the rocks.

You stay in cabanas which are very nice. Meals are excellent. There is a market a bit of a walk down the road.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 04, 17 10:26 am     Reply with quote

Ventana Bay sounds great - don't know anyone who has stayed there and I've talked to 100 people who have gone to LV.
do you and your wife use the same size kite?
guessing you would be on the 12 and your wife on the 10?
you on 10 and wife the 7?
if so that's all you need for kites and you could stay anyplace.
my favorite is palapas Ventana but they don't have kite gear.

fyi - I weigh 185 and I've have ~40 days of kiting spread out over 5 years - I've only used 9-12 in LaVentana.

westportcap

Since 08 Jan 2012
54 Posts

PostMon Sep 04, 17 2:59 pm     Reply with quote

My wife and I stayed there, and it was an excellent experience.

Breakfast and lunch were included, and the food was fantastic. If we weren't going to be around for lunch, they'd pack takeaway meals for us. Great (optional) dinners every night if we were in the mood. And a daily happy hour with free margaritas for guests.

The open air dining area is elevated, and it looks directly out to the water so you can watch your new friends kite.

VBR has an owner who cares and a manager who's on top of things. And cool, like-minded guests to hang out with.

Kiting directly in front of VBR is WAY less crowded than further down the beach. Big plus in my book.

I did not use their rental gear.

You'll want a car if you stay there.

The place felt very secure.

A key point to understand is that VBR is away from the action of central LV. If you want to be in the middle of things and get around on foot, VBR isn't a good fit.

We will definitely be back.

CAK86

Since 08 Aug 2015
51 Posts

PostMon Sep 04, 17 4:07 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response. Yes that link posted is the place we are looking at.

We usually ride the same sized kite but could probably figure out the right board and kite combo to ride the 10 and 12 at the same time if it is not gusty.

Is it less rocky closer to the town of La Ventana?

Are there taxis available to go from La Ventana Bay Resort to the town of La Ventana?

Also does anyone have experience spearfishing or boat fishing during kiting season?

Thanks again.

purdyd

Since 27 Nov 2006
41 Posts

PostMon Sep 04, 17 5:38 pm     Reply with quote

Just to be clear, there isn't a lot in downtown la ventana either.

It is a bit more sandy, but a bit more murkier south of the campground.

VBR has a very coarse sand near the water and some rocks just below the mean hi ride line. They are really not an issue, bit I would wear booties. Beach is pretty much like that all the way south to LV and even in Los Barilles.

It really is not an issue.

I've been there when it was only our small group but it is never really crowded. Somedays you might not even see anyone walk by on the beach.

There are rooms underneath the dining area as well as cabanas.

Most days the wind will come up 11 or so, and die an hour or so before dark.

A good el Norte can be quite windy and gusty and I've been powered on. 7m. I actually think the mild el Norte and the local thermal is better.

There is an island that you can rent a boat and go to, it can be an epic kite session.

If it is a bit light, a downwinder to LV can be fun.

I've driven or shuttled to vbr. I usually don't leave as there is plenty to do. They used to have some live music on weekends, hiking mountain bike, just hanging out.

The dining area is open but covered and a great place to hang out and look out on the water.

But if you get antsy and like to explore, a car is handy.

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Sep 05, 17 4:26 pm     Reply with quote

Have stayed at VBR for the past 10 years. As others have said its is a relaxed & quite and not crowded.

They have bikes and its a short ride to Oscaritio's (groceries/beer) or into La Ventana. We have always rented a car as it gives flexibility to ride at various location or do downwiders from VBR to the end of the bay.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 05, 17 5:20 pm     Reply with quote

Cactus car rental is great via SJD airport. Ask for Antonio. Straight shooter. No BS. Bilingual.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: