Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Oakley Prizm vs. Polarized

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Hazard to Navigation

Since 12 Sep 2016
62 Posts
Hood River

PostTue Sep 05, 17 11:19 am    Oakley Prizm vs. Polarized Reply with quote

I recently lost a pair of Oakleys with Prizm and Polarized lenses at Fort Stevens and plan to replace them. They are extremely effective when looking into the sun during late afternoons there. However, polarized lenses are a pain when looking at phone or camera screens, so I'm considering non-polarized Prizm lenses. Has anyone tested both or have any other thoughts?

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Sep 05, 17 12:17 pm    Re: Oakley Prizm vs. Polarized Reply with quote

Hazard to Navigation wrote:
I recently lost a pair of Oakleys with Prizm and Polarized lenses at Fort Stevens and plan to replace them. They are extremely effective when looking into the sun during late afternoons there. However, polarized lenses are a pain when looking at phone or camera screens, so I'm considering non-polarized Prizm lenses. Has anyone tested both or have any other thoughts?

So I too have lost many a pair of sunglasses on the water. Actually in 15 years of kiting, I'm probably on my 8th pair. After buying the expensive Oakley ones, the windsurfer or kiter with the built-in strap on the back, and a few other pair and a few other types, I go for a "middle shelf pair". All lost in the ocean and usually when a wave gets me going out or I crash on a wave coming in.

Currently I'm using all plastic polarized Nike sunglasses that I purchased at Costco for $40. The are not too big, light, relatively cheap, and functional enough. I use a croaky strap and keep them very snug on my head when riding. If they fog up due to the temperature differential from the air and the water temps once gotten wet, I'll place them down around my neck and cinch them tight till they un-fog or in my surf trunks zipper pocket (which I rarely wear out on the ocean).

I don't like the glare or starring in the sun all afternoon when out on the water. Cataracts should be a concern for all water goers. Plus squinting all day when on the water gives me a headache and probably some big wrinkles on my forehead and around the eyes.

These sunglasses are primarily a dedicated set of glasses for my water sports. I have other sunglasses that are better, made out of glass, and way more expensive that I use for everyday use and other land based sports.

ALSO, I wear a baseball cap. This probably cuts out most of the sun; especially when on one's tack going out to sea here on the west coast. Sunglasses and a baseball cap are the way to go IMHO. The hat occasionally comes off and I lose one from time-to-time. When I run out of baseball caps, I'll buy a surfers baseball cap where one can wear the cap over the head and tie it down around the chin.

And to answer your q's, no I have not tried the non-polarized glasses. Bottom line, lenses or no lenses and looking at screens with or without sun is a pain in the ass.

I'd go for a polarized set of glasses dedicated for water use.; they make all the difference while on water or dealing with water.

You'll want to see the "landlord", aka Mr. or Mrs. Whitey, underneath your board before he or she comes up and takes a bite.

Last edited by Sasquatch on Wed Sep 06, 17 7:02 am; edited 2 times in total

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 05, 17 12:43 pm     Reply with quote

Take advice from an AARP member with sun spots on face and head and eyesight rapidly deteriorating.
Wear a surf hat with chip strap.
Sunglasses with Croakies.
The hat stays on and prevents the sunglasses from falling off.
I may look like Elmer Fudd but I'm protecting my skin and eyesight.
At the Oregon coast I wear my wetsuit hood over hat and sunglasses - triple protection.

Most people in their 20's, 30's and 40's can't imagine how much damage you're doing to your face and eyes by kiting in the ocean water, wind, and waves with exposed skin.

Just wait until you wake up in your 50's and don't recognize the face in the mirror.

Wear the hat. Wear the glasses. Put on fresh SPF 50.

Hazard to Navigation

Since 12 Sep 2016
62 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Sep 06, 17 9:19 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I do wear either a surf hat or helmet with small visor (Protec Two Face after losing my Sweet Strutter) while kiting and try to wear sunglasses whenever possible.

I ended up with these polarized Oakleys, in a style with enough ventilation that they should work reasonably well for my other sports (including cycling and Nordic skiing). This time I'm not trusting the elastic connection on the Croakies and have added stylish zip ties for more security.

Oakleys.jpeg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: