Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Any feedback on the Slingshot Converter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 25, 17 10:10 am    Any feedback on the Slingshot Converter? Reply with quote

I'm really tempted to get on the foiling train, but reluctant to pull the trigger on a whole setup at once. The Slingshot Converter looks like a really nice setup - I could pick up the board learn some strapless in the swell and than pickup a used mast+wing in winter. Did anyone had a chance to play with it and try how it compares to other foil boards out there?

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Aug 25, 17 10:54 am     Reply with quote

I haven't used one personally, but I've seen several of these dual purpose setups. The guys I know that have tried them, end up getting frustrated and switching to a foil specific board for learning. These might work better as a travel board once you are experienced, but not so good when learning.

Best board for learning to foil is Slingshot Alien Air - it's big and floaty - which helps a lot in the beginning stages.

Starting with a 24" mast worked well for me. Took the fear factor down a notch. Once I got that sorted out, going to a longer mast was no problem.

This is a great time to get into foiling - so much good used gear out there.
- Bob

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Aug 25, 17 4:34 pm     Reply with quote

Get a beat up LF foil or HG for cheap and then sell it when you want to upgrade for minimal loss.

If you get a good deal on just the foil you can find lots of boards for $100 that work well enough.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 25, 17 5:30 pm     Reply with quote

I agree if you're trying to save $ you are better off just buying a complete dedicated foil setup used. The converter is new enough it may be hard to find used. I see that as mainly a travel setup, but it would be a compromise. I learned to foil on the larger dwarfcraft and it's been great to learn on and should continue to work well as I progress. I also wouldn't want to give up my favorite kite surf boards for the converter. You might want to demo some surfboards first. There is a pretty big difference in how they ride.
Last edited by user124 on Fri Aug 25, 17 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hazard to Navigation

Since 12 Sep 2016
62 Posts
Hood River

PostFri Aug 25, 17 9:06 pm     Reply with quote

I'm using a Converter, first for a few weeks as my first directional board, now learning to foil with a 24" mast. It's working great for me, but I really don't have anything to compare it to. As others have said, it's not really a money saver unless you can get a very good deal, since there are tons of cheap surfboards and quite a few used foil boards available these days. It is nice to have both options for travel, and my guess is that it's a better surfboard than most other dual-purpose boards.

One thing to note: When using the Converter as a surfboard it is possible for the brass nuts to slide out of the tracks. You want to either remove them or use a couple of set screws to keep them from sliding.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSat Aug 26, 17 7:47 am     Reply with quote

I got the Converter and the Lift mast for my first foil setup. I needed a smaller, heavier, surfboard for big choppy days. The Converter has fit the bill perfectly and I think it rides and surfs really nice. It's got the snap-in fins which is really convenient for going back and forth between the foil and surfing. (I wish the foil was snap in!)

Definitely take the nuts and bolts out for surfing. Thumb's Up

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 29, 17 5:48 am     Reply with quote

I think its a bit narrow so it might bounce around a little on the water when foil touch downs. I'm sure its fine for kite surfing, but keep in mind there are channels for the tee nuts and this will create drag. maybe put tape over the channels when no foil.
When we learned a couple of seasons ago, we would slap a foil on anything that would hold it. today there's so many choices to get you going. even the used market.
I still find the LF fish a good learning board and you can still find them pretty cheap on the used market.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 29, 17 7:18 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the feedback!

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu May 24, 18 7:10 am     Reply with quote

Now that the converter has been available for a while wondering if any further reviews/impressions.

Thinking of picking one up. My wife wants to learn to ride strapless and I was thinking of it as a foil board for La Ventana.

DrewB

Since 16 Aug 2006
381 Posts
PDX
Obsessed

PostThu May 24, 18 7:46 am     Reply with quote

Love the converter.

I've used it in the surf a few times; it is fun and snappy in small waves.
Also goes upwind well.
I haven't used it in Gorge swell, but probably perfect for that too.

I'm a brand new foiler and it was super easy to learn on.
Yes, it felt a little narrow, but after half an hour I was used to it.

I think it is a prefect travel board and in my opinion there is little compromise.

Drew

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu May 24, 18 12:12 pm     Reply with quote

Good to hear.

Is the converter the same as the angry swallow with tracks or are there other differences?

DrewB

Since 16 Aug 2006
381 Posts
PDX
Obsessed

PostThu May 24, 18 1:01 pm     Reply with quote

I think the converter is half a pound heavier than the angry swallow.
Other than that, I think they are the same.
The weight is noticeable when you are holding it...but in the water it feels fine.
Also, I've ridden it a few times as a surfboard and didn't feel any drag from the foil mount channels.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue May 29, 18 6:29 am     Reply with quote

Question for other Converter riders...

I got mine last year and started with the mast almost all the way back in the track. Now I have it almost all the way forward in the track and it seems to help with a more comfortable stance.

But my toes of my front foot are still near the front edge of the deck pad and my back foot is on the front of the back pad overlapping a bit on the deck when I am riding. So it makes me wonder if the pads and strap inserts are places for surfing the board but a bit too far back for strapping it up for foiling.

Thoughts?

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue May 29, 18 7:13 am     Reply with quote

Without consideration to the size of your car, or disposable income, I would get the Alien Air for learning to foil, and a dedicated wave/kite board for swell.

Start on a 15" mast and work your way up to 24/30/36. Follow the tutorial videos on "Foil Academy." Practice what they say to practice, then move to next stage and mast length as you master each lesson. Fun right from the first reach. Much safer.

Eric

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSun Oct 25, 20 6:38 pm     Reply with quote

I love my Converter. I'm on day 3 of foiling but rode it as a surfboard yesterday (flat water). I used to have an Angry Swallow and truth be told I preferred riding it as a quad but I'm sure they want to cut down on cost and weight and the thruster is fine.

I know this is an old thread but I think the Converter is the perfect platform for someone transitioning from twin-tip who eventually wants to learn foiling. It was recommended to me, and the path I took anyway, to learn strapless surfboarding as a step to foiling. The Angry Swallow was my second surfboard and Converter (which is same) functions as a great light wind board to augment my dedicated surfboards, and it travels easily enough.

A few things:
- I've been advised to set the foil all the way to the back.
- I'm using a Ride Engine hoof hook all the way forward; helps to tip it on side.
- The open deck between front and back pads SUCKS! My friend added this which I just ordered: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074NZ82VG.
- My friend uses a rear hook and I've found my rear foot placement much like what someone mentions earlier: front of rear pad (I use surfboard wax for that 'skating rink').
- I'm looking for a stick-on leash loop for the front of the board, because that seems to be a better place to drag a foilboard around by.
- Upgraded the fins to Performers; maybe it's in my head but they make a difference.
- Nothing to compare it against but I'm digging this Cabrinha Varial, and there are really good deals floating around on them because Cabrinha has a slick new line.
- United Airlines doesn't charge for surfboards in and out of California.

Foiled again.JPG 

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSun Oct 25, 20 6:49 pm     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
Question for other Converter riders...

I got mine last year and started with the mast almost all the way back in the track. Now I have it almost all the way forward in the track and it seems to help with a more comfortable stance.

But my toes of my front foot are still near the front edge of the deck pad and my back foot is on the front of the back pad overlapping a bit on the deck when I am riding. So it makes me wonder if the pads and strap inserts are places for surfing the board but a bit too far back for strapping it up for foiling.

Thoughts?

Once I get more time I'll play with moving it forward, but when I was riding with fins yesterday my foot placement (both) was WAY further back. I do find the (2019) stock grip to be a tad TOO grippy sometimes, and that's on all three of their boards I ride. My front foot needed to be pretty well behind the front hook I'm jammed into for foiling, and the wind was fairly light so I'd have to work my back foot rearward over the fin to plane up (bearing off the wind to gain speed to then make upwind headway - reminds me of windsurf daze).

Long story short, I'd have to agree with your assessment, but I'll probably ride without the front hook someday so we'll see. (On the back, for sure you're right).

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Oct 26, 20 10:30 am     Reply with quote

shred_da_gorge wrote:
I'm looking for a stick-on leash loop for the front of the board, because that seems to be a better place to drag a foilboard around by.

https://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=338&idcategory=93

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: