Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Faded pigtails

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
esommer

Since 17 Aug 2016
64 Posts
PDX

CGKA Member

PostSat Aug 26, 17 12:31 am    Faded pigtails Reply with quote

I saw this warning from a local kite shop:

"Faded pigtails = WEAK pigtails, DON'T GET STUCK"

I searched the web for other opinions, and have yet to find anything. The best I can figure is that pigtails, particularly Slingshot pigtails, are made of either nylon or Spectra. When I was climbing, we generally discarded or avoided any faded nylon or spectra slings. So it could make sense for pigtails, too.

What say you oh learned internet kooks? Anyone care to pontificate? Cool

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Aug 26, 17 9:56 am     Reply with quote

All my stuff is faded and it's fine. I only worry about fraying and obvious wear.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSat Aug 26, 17 11:28 am     Reply with quote

Yes, faded nylon or dacron (polyester) is cause for concern. But that is mostly used in sheathing in kite parts. And fading on sleeving on the end of your flying lines is a major indication of potential wear of the spectra/dyneema underneath.

If you are referring to 7/64th hollow braid spectra/dyneema large diameter pig tails, fading should not be a problem. Amsteel 7/64ths has a tensile strength of 1600lbs. So that means if it has somehow been compromised to half of it's original strength, it will still be as strong as your 800lb front lines.

If you are dealing with your front lines, then you have high loads. No where near the 600lb or 800lb rating each, but somewhere much less than that. Thus you never even get up into those high loads applied. One of the number one reasons to go to 800lb line on your fronts is to reduce elastic stretch so the kite is more under control. The higher test is not used for the increased strength. Since the back lines never get too much over 100lbs of tension, there is no need to have that extra drag that a larger diameter causes on the fronts. So no need to worry about your rear pigtails in almost any conditions.

FRAYS ARE MUCH MORE OF A CONCERN! That is where you know you are being compromised as far as strength. And just because you only see 10 strands out of 300 frayed, does not mean that the line is still ok. Change lines or pigtails when you see frays.

As far as fading in spectra/dyneema - You can actually "wash out" most dye used in dyneema. The color applied is typically not internal to the molecular structure of the material. It is more of a paint applied to the surface of the fibers. And since nothing really sticks to HDPE (UHMWPE, the plastic that spectra is made out of). fading is guaranteed.

esommer

Since 17 Aug 2016
64 Posts
PDX

CGKA Member

PostMon Aug 28, 17 11:08 pm    Thanks for the replies! Reply with quote

I'll keep an eye out for fraying, and won't worry about the faded color.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: