Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

ISO larger twin tip fins (Jimmy Lewis Model 3)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Hazard to Navigation

Since 12 Sep 2016
62 Posts
Hood River

PostThu Aug 24, 17 8:15 am    ISO larger twin tip fins (Jimmy Lewis Model 3) Reply with quote

To have something different to ride, I recently picked up a 145 JL Model 3. I like the surfboard type construction and the way it rides, especially in Gorge chop. I'm 6' 3" and 185 and it's the shortest board I own. It has rounded rails and a lot of outline curvature, so it doesn't go upwind quite as well as I'd like. I find it fairly easy to overpower the fins, so I'd like to give it a little more grip. It may still not go upwind very well, but it could stand to be a little less skatey on waves.

The existing fins are 45mm tall and about 5.25" long. I wouldn't want to go a lot taller, since I feel like the front fin would catch. The board is drilled and countersunk for M5 screws, standard 38mm (1.5" spacing). Many fins seem to use M6 screws, but I'd prefer not to redrill the board.

[Correction: JL fins are actually 10-24, but I'm sure that M5 will also fit through the existing holes in the board.]

Any recommendations?

JL fins.jpeg 

Last edited by Hazard to Navigation on Sat Aug 26, 17 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Aug 24, 17 11:06 am    Jimmy Lewis Fins Reply with quote

Check with Windance for demos that are taller or longer (bow to stern).

I have great respect for used a similar shape (the Doyle Sling Shot Fuse). The fuse has six short fins and shipped with two different fin sizes.

Despite fear of "Catching edges" this short of a fin height should not register on the water. If anything that front fin will emulate the attributes of a sharp (hard) edge up front. Don't be afraid to initiate a turn with a assertive heavy front foot onto that front fin to momentarily set that forward edge then let those softer tail rails of the board track a wider radius. The less dependency on a heavy back leg/foot steering will deliver much greater glide/drive out of the of the turn.

Hazard to Navigation

Since 12 Sep 2016
62 Posts
Hood River

PostFri Aug 25, 17 7:42 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. No luck at Windance or Big Winds. 2nd Wind has three Liquid Force 5cm fins that would fit, but of course I need four. Best also makes 45mm fins with M5 screws. Either of these might not be much of an improvement.

I might have to wait a few weeks, but what might be the most effective option is 2.25" fins from Anti-G in Taiwan. They appear to be about the same length as the JL fins, but are 1cm taller. Scroll to the bottom of this page:
http://antigkiteboarding.com/board-technology.html

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
260 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 25, 17 8:09 am    Try other stuff Reply with quote

A different shape can make a big change. May not need a taller fin. The fins on my 2014 SS Misfit work well. I have tried different fins on different boards, never more than 2.25 tall. Some are crap, others just stick. I have a set at home that are aftermarket (can't remember the brand, I'll check tonight) that i have used on 3 different TT and love them. There only 2" tall.

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostFri Aug 25, 17 8:24 am     Reply with quote

We have used Anti-G fins for years at BROKITE. I've been extremely pleased with their performance. We supplied the (pictured) Best fins before having Anti-G manufacture the fins for our boards, and we are more than happy with the switch...

I have 1.75 " fins and 2" fins. Most of our boards come with the 1.75" fins. Due to the trailing edge configuration, I find that it is very easy to feel, and it has the ability to "feather"....the 2" fins would give a very positive feel!

I supply all of our boards with fins, so I have extra sets in the shop. I'd be happy to send you a set of four with fasteners for $30. They are white with our logo in black.

Thanks, West

Hazard to Navigation

Since 12 Sep 2016
62 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Sep 06, 17 9:40 am     Reply with quote

Just in case anyone is interested, I did get a couple of fin options and have tested one of them. I now have the 2" Anti-G fins from BROKITE, and the 2.5" Anti-G fins direct from Taiwan. Both use M5 screws and I purchased eight longer ones (25mm), because the board is thicker than a typical twintip. No issues with installation.

I received the 2.5" fins first and those are the only ones I've tested so far. They're a huge improvement (IMO) over the JL fins, much better grip and the board is a blast to ride here in the Gorge. I went from not being so sure about the board to really loving it. The 2" fins are lower aspect (longer but not as deep), but seem to have about the same area. I suspect they'll ride fairly similarly, maybe a bit looser.

Fins line.jpeg 
   Fins stacked.jpeg 

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
260 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 06, 17 10:18 am    Chris Gilbert 2.0" Reply with quote

Both good fins. Sound like your fun factor in improving

image.jpg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: