Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

What's the big stink?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
dude abides

Since 06 Apr 2014
52 Posts
Bend, OR

PostTue Aug 08, 17 9:10 am    What's the big stink? Reply with quote

Could somebody explain the stinky sewage like smells going on down at the Event site? I never recall such an odor on previous visits?

Doesn't make a difference when I'm on the water, but puts a damper on hanging out in the grass. Mostly want to know if it is hopefully temporary or if I should be prepared to get used to it long term.

jaksavage

Since 02 Dec 2009
216 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostTue Aug 08, 17 10:03 am    Stink Reply with quote

The City is working on the problem.
It will always be a challenge.

dude abides

Since 06 Apr 2014
52 Posts
Bend, OR

PostTue Aug 08, 17 10:14 am    eewwww Reply with quote

Lol.. i see now, the treatment plant is right there. like i said never noticed any smells before. well, makes for some great outdoor dining at Solstice and pfriem.... i bet business is booming.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 08, 17 10:44 am     Reply with quote

It's worse than any previous year that I recall. All of KB4C this year smelled fecal... slightly.

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostTue Aug 08, 17 11:12 am     Reply with quote

I heard it is from all the new age food Hood River yuppies are eating now. Quinoa, tofurkey, all that stuff makes for a stinkier treatment plant. Switch back to good old
Rinconcito and Safeway Chinese food and this problem should go away.

daveS

Since 23 Jul 2007
101 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Aug 08, 17 2:52 pm     Reply with quote

Unquestionably the worst it's ever been down there. hopefully fixable issues and not our new normal

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 08, 17 9:06 pm     Reply with quote

Happens whenever there is a southerly cant to the wind angle.

I'd wager that the new buildings being added along Portway avenue channel a bit of the smell via the westerly breeze as it detours down the south side of the building complexes.

New developments continue to grow.
Will be bummed when you will no longer be able to see the waterfront from Hood River.

www.Purestokesports.com

shymac

Since 20 Jul 2005
919 Posts
Home Valley, Wa.
Bigfoot

PostWed Aug 09, 17 7:18 am     Reply with quote

same shit different day. Been like that since 2005. Pepi is right. Wind change in the wrong direction and with the addition of new buildings - the shit smell has time to froth a bit. Use to blow right onto the OG spit parking lot and off to the Dalles.

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 09, 17 9:18 pm     Reply with quote

Hood River is growing, so there is more poo than years past.

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Aug 10, 17 9:11 am    City Proposal: Two-hundred-foot Chimney Stink-Stack Reply with quote

The City Engineers Propose a Fecal Fountain Enclosure and unique two-hundred-foot tall chimney.

The septic enclosure will be like the cap over the Hood River swimming pool.

The unique chimney channels highly combustible, noxious, man-made, vile & volatile product through a mindless conduit toward a flaming end.

View: Both artist rendering and video of the dysfunctional scaled down chimney prototype (below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUrXbR_GpTg

Stink Stack 6.jpg 

shane s

Since 19 Jun 2013
11 Posts
Hood

PostFri Aug 11, 17 10:02 am     Reply with quote

The smell is worse right now than it has been in the past. Nobody is really sure why exactly. One theory I have heard is yeast and organic material heavy brewery effluents which have picked up in that past couple years are making it worse. The city is definitely aware of the issue, and it is a topic of discussion lately with ideas like tweaking plant operations and/or working with sources on load timing. They covered one of the clarifiers a few years back and I think maybe there are plans to put covers on a couple of the smaller tanks (not cheap). At some point, they may try and cover the aeration tanks, but that would be a pretty big multi million dollar project.

shane s

Since 19 Jun 2013
11 Posts
Hood

PostFri Aug 11, 17 10:12 am     Reply with quote

Do your part to combat the issue and alter your bowel movement schedule to early morning and late at night. Thumb's Up

dude abides

Since 06 Apr 2014
52 Posts
Bend, OR

PostFri Aug 11, 17 12:21 pm    Boo Reply with quote

just had a theft at ES this morning. the stink and theft have left a bad taste in my mouth...

http://nwkite.com/forums/t-42202.html

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostSat Aug 12, 17 9:00 pm     Reply with quote

shane s wrote:
"... it is a topic of discussion lately with ideas like tweaking plant operations ..."
Does the "tweaking plant operations" include shutting down the RV dump for 21 hours a day? Now only available 7-10am. For whatever reason - it's a major inconvenience.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: